Quick Walkthrough
- Speak with Onmund.
- Speak with Enthir.
- Retrieve the Grand Staff of Charming from a random location.
- Return the staff to Enthir.
- Return the amulet to Onmund.
 Detailed Walkthrough
By now you will have gotten to know Onmund, the friendly, and singular Nord at the College of Winterhold. It seems the eager lad has traded his family amulet to Enthir, but now regrets his decision. Onmund will not tell you what he traded the amulet for, but asks for your help in getting his property back.
Speak with Enthir about this. Being a reprobate, Enthir offers you a deal: he will trade the amulet if you retrieve the Grand Staff of Charming from a certain (randomly selected) location. The selected location will usually include a boss-level caster foe guarding a chest containing the staff.
To complete the quest, retrieve the staff and return it to Enthir, who will in turn give you Onmund's amulet. Return the amulet to Onmund who will be grateful. The only reward for completing the quest is Onmund's friendship: once you return his amulet, he becomes available as a follower, as well as a potential candidate for marriage.
Possible staff locations are:
- With a sufficiently high Speech skill, Enthir can be persuaded to just return the amulet.
- Enthir may ask you to retrieve the same staff (or, at least, another instance of the same type of staff) from a different (randomly selected) location for the Arniel's Endeavor quest.
- You cannot speak to Enthir about the quest if The Staff of Magnus quest is active.
- If the staff is found before starting the quest, it will have weight, and can not be removed from your inventory. The quest will not show an icon on the map and dialogue options are not available to return the staff to Enthir. To fix these issues, equip the staff, and activate a weapon rack. An icon will then appear, hinting to pick up the staff. Picking up the staff will update the quest journal, directing you to return the staff to Enthir.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.4 of the Official Skyrim Patch.
- The console command
setstage MGRAppOnmund01 30will allow you to advance. Also, if you successfully persuade Enthir to give back the amulet and complete the quest, the staff is no longer considered a quest item and can be dropped/stored/sold normally.