|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
|This article could benefit from an image.
See Help:Images for information on how to upload images. Please remove this template from the page when finished.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Speak to Skjor or Vilkas in Jorrvaskr.
- Travel to the randomly-determined location.
- Rescue the citizen from the location's enemies.
- Escort the citizen back to their hometown.
- Return to Skjor or Vilkas for your reward.
 Detailed Walkthrough
Either Vilkas or Skjor has received notice that someone has been kidnapped, and the Companions have been asked to attempt a rescue. He will send you to the location of the kidnapped individual and tell you to free them from the location and then escort them to their nearby home. See Radiant Options below for possible variations of this quest.
Note that this is a repeating quest: each time you go to Vilkas or Skjor (when told to ask a Companion for work), he will give a different version of the quest.
 Radiant Options
This quest has several radiant options. The criteria used to select victims for this quest are:
- The victim must live in one of the marked habitation areas listed below.
- Must not have unique voice acting.
- Must not be a part of the following factions: PlayerHousecarlFaction, The Companions, CurrentHireling, JobJarlFaction, or CurrentFollowerFaction.
- Must not be marked as an Essential NPC.
- The victim's faction can not be related to you.
- Must be a unique character (excludes guards, etc.).
 NPC Residences
The victim can be randomly selected from over 200 potential NPCs residing in one of the areas listed below:
 Quest Locations
The radiant location is randomly chosen from 50 possible locations, amounting to a large fraction of the dungeons that contain boss-type enemies and have a place where a captive can be locked up. The location will be limited to holds that you have previously visited, so early in the game you may only receive destinations within Whiterun Hold, but later in the game there are many more possible destinations. All possible locations are listed in the table below.
- Note that the categories for each of the location types above will list all locations with the given type of occupant, including locations that do not have a boss-type enemy or do not have place to lock up captives; therefore, some of the locations listed in the categories are not possible destinations for this quest.
[verification needed — ingame verification]
- If Dragonborn is installed, some radiant locations may be on Solstheim. If you are in Skyrim, you will not receive a quest marker pointing you to the quest location, but must travel to Solstheim first (at which point any quest markers you have to quests in Skyrim will lose their quest markers).
- If you complete this quest successfully, then the citizen you rescue becomes a friend of yours. This may affect thane quests and other aspects of the game.
|To meet our site's higher standard of quality, this article or section may require cleanup.
To leave a message about the cleanup for this article, please add it to this article's .
- The hostage may not follow you when you've saved them. Arriving at their hometown should update the quest, though you may have to talk to them afterwards.
- You can use the console by targeting them and using
- You can use the console by targeting them and using
- The hostage may be at their village/town instead of the area the quest says to go to.
- This might be resolved by entering their home, then leaving immediately. This fix is reported to not work for Heimskr. Heimskr might not spawn at the hostage point and will stay at the shrine, however, this might be resolved by fast traveling to outside Whiterun where he may actually be making his way to his hostage point where he can then be rescued and taken home.
- The hostage may be an NPC who has already died. In this case, the corpse will be found in the radiant location.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2.6 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- The person you are supposed to rescue is invisible (not game invisible, they are NOT there). You can't complete the quest because you can't initiate them to follow you to safety.
- The missing NPC might appear to be in an undefined spot that hovers over the map. If this is the case, it might be resolved by using the "jump over the wall" glitch in Whiterun. Follow the instructions found here to exit the city, and run towards the marker. If successful, you should be able to find the target NPC in a glitched area. Talk to them and then fast travel back to Whiterun.
- In Whiterun the compass pointer might show that the person you are looking for is within the city (pointer without a gate), however on the map it shows them outside the city. Open the console in Whiterun and type in: "tcl" and run towards the target beyond the city walls. The target may be hovering in the sky, so check all directions once you reach the marker. Talk to them and then fast travel back to Whiterun. Open the console and type in: "tcl" again.
- Open the game console and type this in to force the next quest line:
setstage cr08 21. That will have them follow you (even though they do not exist) and fast travel to the location you are asked to go to, or somewhere nearby.
- It says "take your leave of (name)", which again, since (name) does not exist, you can't.
- Open the console again and type in: "setstage cr08 25" again without quotes. It will tell you to go back to Vilkas and end the quest (which he will accept as complete).
- The civilian may not yet have been captured or may just be walking around. The NPC will not follow you and just walks around and is either busy or gives you default scripting.
 Quest Stages
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 1, 200.