Skyrim:Rescue from Fort Neugrad
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
|This article could benefit from an image.
See Help:Images for information on how to upload images. Please remove this template from the page when finished.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Speak to Galmar Stone-Fist.
- Meet the Stormcloak rescue party.
- Sneak in the cave or fight your way in through the front gate.
- Free the prisoners.
- Eliminate the rest of the Imperials.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 Meet the Stormcloak Rescue Band
After reporting to Galmar Stone-Fist in the Falkreath Stormcloak Camp, he will ask you to rescue some Stormcloaks from the Imperial-controlled Fort Neugrad. He will tell you to meet with some men outside the fort. Meet up with the soldiers and speak with Ralof, who will be quite happy to see you. He will tell you that they found a cave under the lake that leads into the fort. He will ask you to sneak in, kill any Imperials you find, and then release the Stormcloak prisoners. He also says that if you run into the courtyard, he and his men will rush in to assist you in fighting the Imperials.
Head around the fort to the lake. Be careful not to get spotted by any Imperials or you will fail that objective and have to storm the fort. Once in the lake, swim down and you will see a small wrecked boat with a locked chest slightly hidden under it. Directly behind you is the entrance to the cave.
 Rescue the Prisoners
The passage at the bottom of the lake will lead into the Prison level of the fort, through the natural cave at the southeastern corner. Eliminate the Imperial Soldiers in the prison room and get a Fort Neugrad Prison Key from them (there should also be one lying on top of a chest in the same room).
Open the cells and the Stormcloak soldiers will run to a chest to acquire weapons and armor. Talk to one of them and he will ask you what to do: you can tell them to wait where they are, or follow you.
- To guarantee they all survive, you may instruct them to stay behind, and return to them after the fort has been taken over. If you tell them to follow you, they will participate in the upcoming battle and may die, although this doesn't seem to have an impact on the quest.
 Take Over the Fort
As you leave the Fort Prison level and reach the courtyard, you will engage more Imperial Soldiers. Ralof's band will join the fray once you start the fight. After the fight, you will have to go inside the fort to eliminate the rest of the garrison. You can have Ralof follow you, or tell him to wait out in the yard.
Once the Imperials and the fort commander are dead, talk to Ralof and he says that he will stay and clean up the mess. That ends the quest and starts the next stage in Liberation of Skyrim.
- The Imperial soldiers all have a chance of dropping an Amulet of the Divines, excluding Talos.
- If you kill the prisoners, it will cause part of the quest to fail, but the quest will still continue.
- Since this quest is so bugged, as an alternative to trying to follow the prescribed route you can simply take along a tank follower or two, stroll in the main gate letting the slaughter commence and subside, wander down and free the prisoners, then open up the main keep to let your follower(s) and Stormcloaks mop up the remaining enemy. It is quite easy to clear the entire fort without even readying a weapon. This method appears to avoid most if not all of the bugs that crop up.
- This quest may actually go to stage 255 to be finished.
- Sometimes, instead of Imperial soldiers, you will find bandits holding the Stormcloak prisoners. The prisoners will still speak the usual dialogue lines ("The guard has the key.") but there are neither any guards nor a key, and the prisoners may even be unresponsive once freed, hence ruining the Stormcloak questline. This bug may also happen even if the Imperial soldiers are there, but you fail to sneak into the fort.
- Reload a save from before the quest was received, completely clear out the fort of all bandits, and then receive the quest from Galmar Stone-Fist. Reloading a save from after the quest is received will not fix this bug.
- You may not be able to initiate a chain of events for the mission.
- Stormcloak soldiers may appear inside or near the fort as you approach. As fighting starts out right away, you fail the "Sneak into the fort" objective.
- After freeing the prisoners, you may not be able to activate Ralof's dialogue menu. This is a problem because the task that follows freeing the prisoners entails speaking with Ralof and therefore becomes impossible.
- One possible solution is to transform into a werewolf away from the soldiers surrounding Ralof, and then kill all of the soldiers. Once that is done, Ralof himself will ask you to get him another garrison of troops. After you retrieve his soldiers, you should be able to continue the dialogue. Alternatively, kill all the troops and then use Voice of the Emperor (if your race is Imperial).
- Although you have killed all of the Imperials occupying the fort and freed the Stormcloak prisoners, the Stormcloaks may keep saying that there are Imperials around somewhere.
- Although you have already infiltrated the Neugrad prison through the cave in the lake, the "Sneak into the fort" objective will still not be completed and will display two exits to work toward on the compass.
- To complete the objective, order the freed Stormcloak prisoners to wait in the prison, then climb up the ladder exit to Skyrim and reenter the prison from the same exit.
 Quest Stages
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 11, 20, 100, 255.