Skyrim:Restoration Ritual Spell
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
 Detailed Walkthrough
 Find the Augur of Dunlain
Once you reach level 90 in the Restoration skill and have completed Good Intentions, travel to the College of Winterhold and speak with Colette Marence. Ask her if you can learn anything more about Restoration magic. She will tell you to go speak with the Augur of Dunlain down in The Midden.
 Pass the test
The Augur of Dunlain will give you a test. Once you have stepped into the "light", all non-quest items will be taken from your possession. Augur will summon one ghost, shortly followed by another, and finally a third; each will attack you with destruction spells and/or weapons. It is not possible to attack these ghosts, because your only goal is to keep yourself alive using Restoration Magic. Alternatively, the Become Ethereal shout will leave you invincible for most or all of the test, depending on how far the shout skill has advanced. If you are still alive when the test stops, you will receive your items back and the Bane of the Undead spell. Now, you can also buy the Guardian Circle spell from Colette Marence starting from the next time her inventory resets.
- If your Sneak skill is high enough, you can simply crouch before the first ghost notices you and remain hidden for the duration of the test.
- The ghosts favor frost spells, so if you are a Nord, vampire, or better yet both, this will be a cake-walk.
- You can take along one item (for example a ring with double magic resist ~45%) to the test by dropping the item and then holding it in the air while going to the light.
- If you have completed Bound Until Death from the Dark Brotherhood quest line, you can summon the spectral assassin while crouching and the test will be passed after a few seconds.
- Appearance of the Guardian Circle spell upon the completion of this quest can be bugged. See Guardian Circle for fix.
- After meeting the Augur of Dunlain and stepping into the light, the game may hang up.
- Removing some of the items from your inventory before stepping into the light may help avoid the bug.
- Completing this quest may cause a persistent scripting error to repeat several times a second. It appears to be unintrusive in gameplay, but it will flood Papyrus logs. Mod Notes: Papyrus log error occurs even when quest is no longer running: Cannot call Is3DLoaded() on a None object, aborting function call stack: [MGRitual04 (000CD987)].mgritual04questscript.OnUpdate() - "MGRitual04QuestScript.psc" Line 59
- After the player survives the test, the Augur's scripted response of You are worthy. The knowledge is yours might get stuck in a loop. However, the quest will still be marked as complete and leaving the chamber has no negative side effects.
- One or more of the hostile ghosts might linger after the test is complete. As they are ethereal, they cannot be killed, and will follow you around the Midden Dark attacking you.
- Sometimes the Guardian Circle spell tome may not appear after successfully completing the quest.
- Reloading a previous save and interacting with her merchant inventory prior to starting the quest seems to fix this
 Quest Stages
|Restoration Ritual Spell (MGRitual04)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|10||I've asked Colette about additional training in Restoration. She suggested there are spells I don't yet know, but that the Augur down in the Midden is the keeper of that knowledge and I'd have to gain his approval before I can learn them.
(Objective is assigned): Gain the Augur's approval
|200||I've passed the Augur's test, and have been granted the Bane of the Undead spell.|