Skyrim:Rising at Dawn
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Talk to any innkeeper.
- Go to Morthal and talk to Falion.
- Bring him one filled black soul gem.
- Meet Falion at the summoning circle outside of Morthal.
- Watch Falion perform the ritual.
 Detailed Walkthrough
This quest can only be started once you have become a vampire, either through the incubation of Sanguinare Vampiris or through infection by a member of the Volkihar clan. It is repeatable and there is no limit to the amount of times you can perform the quest.
 Talk to an Innkeeper
As a vampire, ask any innkeeper if they have heard any rumors. You may need to ask several times before you get the rumor you want. This can be quite time consuming. They will eventually point you toward Falion, a mage who studies draugr, vampires and other undead in Morthal. Sometimes he will not discuss vampirism with you until you've been told to go see him.
 Travel to Morthal to talk with Falion
Travel to Morthal, a town north of Whiterun. Falion lives in the easternmost house in town, with his ward. When spoken to he will reveal that he studies the undead (under some amount of disapproval from the town) and that he recognizes you as a vampire. He will offer to remove your vampirism if provided with one filled Black Soul Gem.
 Finding a Black Soul Gem
Falion and Enthir are the only merchants who are guaranteed to stock black soul gems. The gems also appear randomly, dependent upon your level, on Warlocks and in Geode Veins. Note that The Black Star will not work. As Falion requires a filled black soul gem, you will then need to fill the soul gem by soul trapping an NPC.
 Meet Falion at Dawn
At 1am, Falion will start making his way to the circle and remains there for three hours. Meet him at the summoning circle to the north of town at dawn. He will perform the ritual, during which the screen will fade to black before returning, and you will no longer be a vampire. If you miss meeting him, reload a previous save and re-try.
- If you are a stage four vampire, Falion will not perform the ritual, and may attack you. You may use Calm to make him non-hostile.
- This isn't an issue if the Dawnguard plug-in is installed.
- If you delay Falion's arrival to the ritual site, Falion may not perform the ritual and will keep the black soul gem you gave to him.
- You can become a vampire again after completing this quest by contracting Sanguinare Vampiris and waiting 3 days again.
- A guilt-free and somewhat poetic way to obtain the necessary Black Soul is to head to a vampire lair and Soul Trap one of the inhabitants, as the game regards all vampires as NPCs.
- If you install the Dawnguard plug-in and join Volkihar Vampire Clan, you can still cure yourself by completing this mission. You will lose all your vampire abilities, but Volkihar Vampire Clan would not treat you as hostile. You can become Vampire Lord again from Lord Harkon or Serana.
- Recruited members of the Dawnguard will direct you to Falion if you become infected throughout the course of the Dawnguard questline.
- Upon arriving at the summoning circle during the Speak to Falion objective, Falion may be standing outside the circle, which will prevent you from continuing the objective this quest. In order to complete the objective, you must force him into the circle, either by luring him into the circle by attacking and calming him or by nudging him little by little into the circle. Once he is in the circle, speaking with Falion will trigger the next stage of the quest.
- If the end of the ritual occurs at exactly the same time as when the player proceeds to stage 4 of vampirism, Falion will say that the ritual is complete, but the player will not be cured and will end up losing the ability to feed. The player will thus be stuck in stage 4 vampirism forever, as you cannot talk to Falion or generic NPCs at this stage.
 Quest Stages
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 25, 125, 195.