|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Speak to Captain Wayfinder on his ship at the dock in Dawnstar.
- Retrieve the salts from the given location.
- Return to Captain Wayfinder and receive your reward.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 Captain Wayfinder
In central Dawnstar, you will find the ship The Sea Squall permanently docked, with inexperienced sailor Captain Wayfinder and his team of disrespectful crewmembers wandering around on deck. Talk to Wayfinder and ask him about the ship and he will provide a bit of background information on his questionable status as captain. He will also hint at problems with his latest shipment, some fine-cut void salts from the College of Winterhold that has gone missing. When asked what happened to the salts he will reveal: "Sailors are what happened to them. They got drunk and ended up losing the merchandise in some cave. If you're not afraid of little exploring, I'll pay good gold to get those salts."
 Find the Salts
At this point, it is no longer possible to reject the favor and a map marker will point towards one of eight radiant locations.
Travel to the selected location and locate the fine-cut void salts in the boss-leveled chest, then head back to Dawnstar and the Sea Squall.
When you hand him the salts, a grateful Captain Wayfinder will hand you a leveled amount of gold, with his thanks: "That's the first bit of good news I've had since I set sail a year ago. Here's your cut."
- The fine-cut void salts that you are asked to find are actually just regular void salts, except it is a unique sample of the salts that has been given a different name.
- All eight samples of fine-cut void salts spawn in the possible locations when you first visit Dawnstar. Finding them will not start the quest and only the sample chosen after speaking to Wayfinder will function as quest item and net you the reward.
- If the game decides to send you to a location where you already found the salts, and you still have the original sample in your inventory, a new sample will spawn at the location, but you will miss out on the map marker.
- If you find any of the samples before starting the quest, the fine-cut version can be consumed like normal void salts.
- Trying to consume the salts selected for the quest results in the rather rare error message "You cannot eat quest items."
- The fine-cut void salts may stay in your inventory after receiving the payment and finishing the quest. This often happens if you have regular void salts in your inventory (or if you carry another sample of the fine-cut version) when you return to Captain Wayfinder. They are no longer a quest item.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- It's possible to run across a second batch of fine-cut void salts in another location. If you've already completed the quest, you can turn them in again for another reward.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.0 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.