Cutting Lumber is an action that can be performed by NPCs and by the player at wood mills. It should not be confused with chopping firewood.
In order to activate this animation sequence, the player must activate an available "Lumber Pile", which will start the activation sequence of the player pulling a log down to the center of the mill to be cut. The player must then activate a lever on the opposite side of the log to start the cutting process. The log will move forward, passing through a large cutter blade to be split down the middle before dropping down into a pile of cut lumber at the end of the mill. A follower can also be ordered to activate it, but will only do so once each time they are asked. Cutting lumber is only an animation in the original version of the game; the process yields no results.
 Sawn Logs
Sawn LogsHF are housebuilding materials added by Hearthfire which are needed for building and furnishing a player-built home. They are hidden, weightless items (ID: xx00300e) which do not show up in the player's inventory or affect their carry weight. They appear as a "Log Pile" on the player's property, with the number increasing as more are purchased and decreasing as they are used for building or furnishing a home.
The player can purchase lumber from certain mill owners at 200 gold for 20 sawn logs. Players can also task their personal steward to purchase them for the same price, without having to leave their property. Certain lumber merchants will give the player permission to cut the lumber for free if their disposition has been raised high enough (value=1: friend). The player will cut 10 at one time when cutting it on their own (but see bugs). No matter how the player chooses to obtain more lumber, it will be delivered to the "Log Pile" on their property at no charge. If you own more than one property, the Log Pile is shared between them - all your lumber can be accessed from any of the three properties.
The following table lists lumber mill owners who will sell sawn logs via dialogue. The 'Quest' column indicates guaranteed quests for the lumber merchant in that row which will raise their disposition enough to allow you to cut your own logs for free. The player must receive permission via dialogue before activating the mill will yield results. If an entry in the column is blank, there are no guaranteed quests which raise that specific lumber merchant's disposition. However, there are other ways to raise an NPC's disposition, such as certain radiant quests for which the target can be almost any NPC in the game (e.g., Rescue Mission). While some of these quests can still raise a lumber merchant's disposition enough for them to allow you to cut your own lumber for free, they are not listed here because you are not guaranteed to receive a specific NPC as a target for that quest.
|Aeri||Anga's Mill in The Pale||Chop Wood or Delivery|
|Bolund||The wood mill on the northeast side of Falkreath|
|Gilfre||Mixwater Mill in Eastmarch||Chop Wood|
|Grosta||Heartwood Mill in The Rift||Chop Wood or Flight or Fight|
|Hert||Half-Moon Mill in Falkreath Hold||Chop Wood|
|Hod||The wood mill on the southwest side of Riverwood||Chop Wood|
|Kharag gro-Shurkul||Solitude Sawmill in Haafingar|
|Thonnir||The wood mill on the north side of Morthal||Laid to Rest|
- The Dragon Bridge Lumber Camp is another wood mill which can be used to activate the cutting lumber animation sequence, but you can't purchase lumber there.
- When building a home with the Hearthfire plug-in, your map marker may send you to Half-Moon Mill to buy sawn logs. If Hert and Hern are dead, you may go to another wood mill to purchase lumber and clear the objective.
- When sawing your own logs, the owner of the mill has to be standing in the area where you saw the logs, otherwise you will not receive the logs after you saw them. [verification needed — see ]
- After cutting the lumber and it drops into the lumber pile, you must wait about 10 seconds for the freshly cut log to disappear before it is added as 10 sawn logs.
- The option to saw your own lumber is available, but will not always yield results, even if the lumberjack's disposition is high enough to allow you to cut your own lumber for free.
- A workaround is to ask the lumber merchant for permission each time you saw logs at their mill.
- You may occasionally be able to view sawn logs in your inventory. When this happens, they use the model for elven boots.