The ancient home of the Nords, Skyrim, teeters at the brink of destruction. With the death of High King Torygg, a civil war breaks out, with brothers slaying brothers across the province's frozen tundras and rocky crags. Many, especially Nords, wish to secede from the Empire, which has been in decline since the Oblivion Crisis. Many loyalists, on the other hand, prefer the unity and security provided by the Empire.
The Elder Scrolls foretell the return of Tamriel's primeval darkness, the Dragons, and the coming of a mortal born with the soul of a dragon, the "Dovahkiin" or "Dragonborn"—one who will have the power to permanently defeat his greatest foe and end the dark reign of the consumer of worlds: Alduin.
Your journey will be beset with peril. Just as remnants of the kingdom’s shadow guardians, the Blades, will offer their aid, crafty agents of the Thalmor, seeking to advance their own cause, will impede your quest. Acquire knowledge and prove yourself Dragonborn, and the revered Greybeards will grant you an audience to learn of their ancient Draconic arts.
Now great adventurer, free yourself from bondage; take up blade or spell, bow or axe; fulfill your destiny or watch as the world ends around you.
Additional general game information can be found here.
- Quests — All the quests upon which you can embark
- Official Add-Ons — List of all the official add-ons for Skyrim, including Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn
- Attributes — What are the basic stats?
- Character Creation — A guide to the character creation process
- Dragon Shouts — How to use them and where to get them
- First Time Players — A guide to help new players come to grips with Skyrim
- Leveling — Understanding the character leveling system
- Races — The defining characteristics of the playable races
- Skills — And what can you do?
- Vampirism — Information about vampirism and related quests
- Lycanthropy — Information about living as a werewolf and related quests
- Activities — Miscellaneous activities available during the game
- Artifacts — Unique and powerful items that can be found throughout Skyrim
- Combat — Information about combat in Skyrim
- Controls — A table of the various controls used to interact with the game, for all game platforms
- Crime — Information about the laws of Skyrim and how to stay on the right side of the authorities
- Disease — Diseases you can catch in Skyrim
- Hints — All sorts of gameplay hints to let you play the game in a more comprehensive way
- Items — Where to find specific items and their related attributes
- Magic — All you need to know about the arcane arts in Skyrim
- Making Money — Some tips and tricks aimed at helping you earn a few more septims
- Stealth — Information on the art of stealth and its uses
- Differences Between Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim — A guide containing the main differences between the three games, and useful tips for adapting
- Creatures — A bestiary of all the friendly and hostile creatures found in the game
- Factions — Listing of all the guilds and factions in the game, including the factions you can join
- Maps — Are you familiar with your whereabouts?
- NPCs — Listing of all non-player characters in the game
- People — Listing of all the named people in the game
- Places — Listing of all the places found in the game
- Services — A listing of all the services (general merchants, horse merchants, houses, trainers, etc.) provided in the game
- Console Versions
- PlayStation — Information specific to the PlayStation version of the game
- Xbox — Information specific to the Xbox version of the game
- Kinect Commands — Information specific to the Kinect, for the Xbox version of the game
- Game Updates
- Skyrim Patches — Official patches for Skyrim by Bethesda Softworks
- PC Version
- Mod Creation
- Available Add-Ons
- Official Add-Ons — A list of add-ons created or endorsed by Bethesda Softworks
Previews and Reviews
- Concept Art — An archive of concept and rendered art created during the game's development
- Pre-Release Content — Shots from the game prior to its release
- Achievements — Awards you can receive for your efforts
- Credits — Details on exactly who did what to create the game
- Development Team — A list of the developers who created the game
- Easter Eggs — Funny, out of place, or reference-related non-bug findings
- Glitches — Different things you may have noticed about Skyrim that just weren't right
- Historical References — References to people, places and events from previous Elder Scrolls games
- In-Depth Guides — Various walkthroughs and tutorials to help get the most out of the game
- Loading Screens — Information that appears while the game loads
- Music — Information about Skyrim's soundtrack
- Technical Support — Hardware and system software issues and their practical solutions
- Trading Cards — Steam Trading Cards you can obtain by playing the PC version
- Voice Actors — List of the actors who provided voices for Skyrim's NPCs
- Wallpapers — Official wallpapers, available in various sizes
- forums where you can discuss the game — A place on the UESP