Skyrim:Stony Creek Cave
|# of Zones||1|
|Respawn Time||10 days or 30 days|
Mystery of Talara, Part 4
|Console Location Code(s)|
|North of Riften|
|# of Alchemy Labs||1|
|# of Moonstone||2|
The exterior of Stony Creek Cave is marked by a small pond in a snowy area of Eastmarch just north of Ansilvund and south of the Eastmarch Imperial Camp. There is a docked boat at the pond and harvestable clams in the middle of the pond bed. The cave entrance is to the east of the pier, and is noticeable by the rising steam. There are some nordic barnacle clusters around the entrance walls.
 Related Quests
- Finn's Lute: Return an invaluable lute to the Bards College.
- No Stone Unturned: Find the 24 gems to restore the Crown of Barenziah.
- Amulet of the Moon: Find the Moon Amulet for Kharjo.
- Dungeon Delving: Do a favor by retrieving an item from a cave.
- Find Shahvee's Amulet of Zenithar: Do a favor by retrieving an item from a bandit hideout.
- Harsh Master: Take care of a runaway crew member.
- Kill the Bandit Leader: Do a favor by slaying a bandit leader.
- The creek feeding the waterfall in the mining chamber can be used to access Kagrenzel by climbing the wall to the left of the chamber entrance and using the Whirlwind Sprint shout. The character should be slightly above the level of the falls and able to look down at the small calmer dark water just before the creek breaks and descends. Aim at the right wall of the creek tunnel at that point, then shout. This creek above the waterfall also allows quick access to the boss chest of Kagrenzel.
- Some radiant quests may point to Stony Creek Cave when the actual objective is in Kagrenzel, located within a short distance after entering it by using the technique above.
- There is a corundum ore vein a short distance directly east, and an iron ore vein slightly north west of that within the chamber.
 Stony Creek Cave
The cave itself consists of the stream that is filling the lake at the entrance and only has two main areas. The first thing seen when entering is a dead Breton drooped over a beam in front of the stream. The water here contains some salmon and two skeletons. The path is made up of some planks that extend into the water to the right-hand side of the water. After turning the first corner, the air appears to be shimmering; this is flammable gas and can be ignited with flames or a torch (just having a flame spell equipped is enough to set it off). The gas extends almost to the end chamber and partway into the side chamber, and if ignited will deal significant damage to any enemies caught in the blast, but they will be on high alert after this, making any remaining stealth approach very hard. The tunnel is patrolled by two bandits.
The sideroom is to the right shortly before the tunnel takes a left turn. There is a bandit on lookout here who has a high alert level; he is always sitting on the edge of the planks, beside a lantern, even though a chair is available for use. At the bottom of the planks is a skeleton and behind the bandit is a coin purse, an imp stool plant, and a Namira's rot. To the left before the plants and between the candles, the tunnel continues on to the side room. Halfway through the tunnel is a tripwire which activates a mace straight ahead, but so long as you are not sprinting, this will not hit you. This room contains the boss bandit who carries Treasure Map X and, upon his death, the cave will be marked Cleared on the map. The room also contains an alchemy lab with an ingredient on it. To the left of that is a table with a bowl of deathbell along with another ingredient. To the right is a bench with an Unusual Gem, a poison, an ingredient, and the Illusion skill book Mystery of Talara, Part 4. In the corner is the open boss chest which contains Finn's Lute and other leveled loot. Growing around the room are two bleeding crowns, one white cap, and one Namira's rot.
Returning to the tunnel and going north, up one side is growing a Namira's rot, which is just past the end of the gas. There is one last bandit in the large chamber, mining one of the two moonstone ore veins that are marked by lanterns. There is also an apprentice-locked chest near the one to the left.