Skyrim:The Heart of Dibella
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
|It has been suggested that this article be split into multiple articles. (Discuss)|
 Quick Walkthrough
- Travel to the city of Markarth.
- (Optional) Speak with Degaine.
- Enter the Inner Sanctum of the Temple of Dibella.
- (Optional) Steal the statue and return to Degaine.
- Help the priestesses of Dibella find a new Sybil.
- Travel to Karthwasten and learn the location of Fjotra.
- Rescue Fjotra from the Forsworn.
- Escort Fjotra back to the Temple of Dibella.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 A Golden Statue
The temple dedicated to Dibella, the goddess of love, beauty, and artistry, is located in Markarth. It is maintained by several priestesses and Hamal. If you speak to the innkeeper, Kleppr, or his wife, Frabbi, in the Silver-Blood Inn, they will tell you about the beggar Degaine: "Degaine the beggar got himself kicked out of the Temple of Dibella. Caused quite the ruckus." Degaine himself can usually be found begging near the marketplace, and upon approaching him he will express his interest in stealing a statue: "Aye, a whole heap of it. You see that Temple? Way up there. All them women, keeping to themselves. Won't let poor Degaine in, no. Not even for a look. But they've got a treasure in there. Gold statue, size of a child. Who knows what they use it for, but I know what I'll use it for." Inquiring as to why he wants to steal the statue, he will tell you: "Well let's not put it like that. Wouldn't want the Thieves Guild catching wind of us, eh? Nah, just creep in and have a go at taking it out. I'll be here, and pay you half of what my man in Riften promised for it. You'll be helping out an old beggar, and the Divines smile on that sort of thing." The statue itself is located within the Inner Sanctum of the temple. This makes finding the temple itself easier, but is not necessary to initiate The Heart of Dibella quest.
 The Temple of Dibella
Upon entering the temple, you will find the priestess Senna, who will inform you that: "The sisters are communing with Dibella. They can't be disturbed. You'll have to come back another time." In order to access the Inner Sanctum, you can either try to pick the expert-lock, or steal the key from Senna. Note that if you choose to pick the lock, you'll have to do it twice—once to get into the Sanctum, and once to get out.
If you choose to help the priestesses find the new Sybil, you are directed to visit Karthwasten and locate the young girl's father, Enmon, who may be found working in the mine or at the smelter. If you speak to any of the local residents, they will all direct you to speak to him as well. If you tell him that you are looking for his daughter, he will retort: "Damn it, man/woman, are you trying to taunt us?" Asking him what he meant, he will explain: "Our daughter, Fjotra, was taken from here. The Forsworn descended and... they didn't touch anything else. Just our little girl." Also asking where they took her, he will continue: "It was the Forsworn from Broken Tower. Never been much trouble before. What's it to you?" You can now respond to him in two different ways:
If you tell Enmon that you just want his daughter to be safe, he will remark: "That's... that's good of you. If you were to save her, I would be very grateful. I don't think there's anything I could give you, though..." However, if you tell Enmon that Fjotra is the new Sybil of Dibella, he will say: "She... really? That's... I wouldn't have dreamed. Of course, we need her in Markarth, then. I'll come with you." If you agree that he should travel with you, he will thank you and accompany you to Broken Tower Redoubt. Note that if you take him along with you, he is a non-essential NPC, and can die. You can also tell him that he should stay, and he will reply with urgency: "You're... probably right. Just hurry, please. Who knows what those things are doing to her." You are now directed to travel to the Broken Tower Redoubt and rescue Fjotra from the Forsworn holding her captive.
 Touched by the Gods
Making your way through the Broken Tower Redoubt, you can find Fjotra in her cell, guarded by a Forsworn Briarheart. After you have defeated the Briarheart and freed her, she will ask: "Are you one of them? Please don't hurt me." When you tell her that you are to bring her to the Temple in Markarth, she will exclaim: "Then it is true what they said? I am touched by the gods?" Her suspicions confirmed, Fjotra will then accept her title as the new Sybil of Dibella: "I've heard stories about the wonders of the great Temple in Markarth. But I never dreamed that I would even get to see it. I am honored to be called for this duty. Please, lead on."
You must now return Fjotra to the Temple to become the new Sybil of Dibella, but you also can take a detour to Karthwasten, so Fjotra can say goodbye to her parents, Enmon and Mena, who will give her a very heart-warming farewell:
Enmon: "Fjotra, dear. Did they hurt you?"
Fjotra: "Of course not. My spirit remains strong."
Enmon: "My little girl. Always strong. Do you know where you have to go?"
Fjotra: "I'm to go to the temple in Markarth. I... I'll have to leave you and mother."
Enmon: "It's our honor to have you there. This man/woman is going to take you to Markarth. Are you ready?"
Fjotra: "Of course."
Afterwards, Enmon will approach and thank you: "Thank you for getting her back from the Forsworn. Dibella was smart to have sent you." You can now return to Hamal in the Temple of Dibella in Markarth to complete the quest.
 A New Sybil
Upon arriving back at the temple, Hamal will be grateful for the safe return of Fjotra: "You... you found her? I can't believe it. Let the girl come with me and we can begin her preparation. I will send word to her family that she is in good hands. You've truly earned the Blessing of Dibella, child. Prostrate yourself before her altar, and she will bestow her gift." You are now directed to kneel before and then drink the blessed water, which will bestow the Agent of Dibella passive ability. This grants an additional 10% melee damage against enemies of the opposite sex, and the quest will now be marked as complete.
- The Statue of Dibella differs from the common Dibella Statues found across Skyrim.
- The priestesses are sometimes targets of Thieves Guild quests. This may be used as another way to be led to the Inner Sanctum.
- This quest only counts towards the Sideways achievement if you rescue Fjotra (quest stage 200); selling the statue to Degaine does not count as successfully completing The Heart of Dibella, although it does count towards the Hero of the People achievement.
- If you have previously entered Broken Tower Redoubt and left the door to Fjotra's cell open, it will still be open when you return to rescue her.
- During The House of Horrors quest for Molag Bal, Logrolf the Willful may also be held captive within Broken Tower Redoubt. If so, and if both of these quests have been started, Fjotra will be in the same prison cell as Logrolf.
- Once you have completed this quest and received the ability Agent of Dibella you can take almost everything inside the temple, both upstairs and downstairs (excludes higher value potions, poisons, jewelry, soul gems and gems).
- If you have the 'Talk to Degaine' task, but instead talk to Hamal inside the temple, then immediately accept and finish the quest, you won't be able to finish the 'Talk to Degaine' quest.
- You can be given the 'Talk to Degaine' quest a second time, and the quest won't/can't update because you have already opted to steal the Statue of Dibella.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.0 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
SetStage T01Intro 10and then
SetObjectiveCompleted T01Intro 10 1in the console will remove this objective from your Miscellaneous quests.
 Quest Stages
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table:
- T01Intro: 20.
- T01DegaineFavor: 0, 100, 200.
- T01: 0.