Skyrim:The Straw that Broke
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
 Detailed Walkthrough
Talk to Narfi in Ivarstead. He lives in the broken-down house across the river from the lumber mill, and can be found there. When approached, Narfi will babble about his sister, Reyda, who disappeared. He will mention that Wilhelm, the innkeeper at Vilemyr Inn, told him Reyda would come back, and that he needs to say goodbye to his sister like he did his mother and father.
When you ask Wilhelm about Narfi's condition, he will tell you that he told Narfi his sister wasn't dead and that she would return one day. He also points you in the direction of the small island to the east of Ivarstead, where Reyda always went to get ingredients as she was an alchemist. You can then go look for Narfi's sister's remains.
As it turns out Reyda's remains can be found underwater, just east of the southern bridge into town. They can be diffcult to get to due to the current. Next to her remains are Reyda's Necklace and Reyda's Satchel; the satchel contains some gold and several random alchemical ingredients (1 rare, 2 uncommon, and 3 common ingredients, using the same categories as detailed on the Ingredients article). You can then return the necklace to Narfi at his broken-down home across the river, and either tell him the truth, or tell him Reyda said she'd be back soon. Either way, you will receive three random, rare ingredients, and Narfi will for the most part remain the same.
- Narfi is the victim of the Dark Brotherhood quest Kill Narfi. Once you accept the assassin quest, it will be impossible to complete this quest.
- Enter the command
setstage FreeformIvarstead02 200after finding Reyda's Necklace to complete the quest properly.
- Enter the command
- After finding Reyda's Necklace, there is an option to show it to Wilhelm, supposedly for additional advice. However, upon choosing this speech option, he will say the same thing Narfi says about telling his sister that he misses her.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2.5 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- If you take the necklace from Reyda's satchel before asking Wilhelm about Narfi, the quest will not update beyond the stage requiring you to find her remains even if you search the satchel again.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.3.2 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- The command
setstage FreeformIvarstead02 40will do the work.
- Dropping and retaking the necklace using the console command
player.drop 663da 1while standing over the underwater satchel causes a quest update, fixing the quest.
 Quest Stages
|The Straw that Broke (FreeformIvarstead02)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
Objective 10: Ask Wilhelm about Reyda
Objective 20: Locate Reyda's remains
Objective 30: Bring Reyda's Necklace to Narfi
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 10, 250.