|2nd||Lingering Damage Magicka|
|3rd||Weakness to Magic|
|Merchant Avail.||None ()|
Torchbug Thoraxes can be acquired by catching torchbugs. Torchbugs come out at night in most non-snowy areas. Their slow flight and illuminated bodies make them fairly easy to catch.
33 guaranteed samples can be found in 13 different locations. Locations with multiple samples are:
- 9 in the Midden (Winterhold)
- 6 in Forsaken Crypt (The Pale)
- 3 in Proudspire Manor (Solitude)
- 3 in the White Hall (Dawnstar)
- 2 in Cragwallow Slope (Eastmarch)
- 2 in the Hall of Countenance (College of Winterhold)
- 2 in Hjerim (Windhelm)
This ingredient is not in the
VendorItemIngredient category that allows it to be traded by apothecary merchants (see bugs).
Torchbugs appear at insect spawning sites, but only between 8pm and 11pm. Some of the sites (50 in all) generate only torchbugs, each one spawning at most 10 insects. The majority of the sites generate up to three nocturnal insects, with a random mix of both torchbugs and luna moths. These sites also typically generate blue and monarch butterflies between 6am and 6pm. In total, there are 576 spawning sites in 153 different locations. Locations with the greatest numbers are:
- 22 around Talking Stone Camp (Hjaalmarch)
- 17 inside Bloated Man's Grotto (Falkreath Hold)
- 14 around Broken Fang Cave (Whiterun Hold)
- 13 around Lund's Hut (Whiterun Hold)
- 13 around Sleeping Tree Camp (Whiterun Hold)
- 12 around Swindler's Den (Whiterun Hold)
- 11 around the Apprentice Stone (Hjaalmarch)
- 11 inside Shadowgreen Cavern (Haafingar)
- 11 around the Whiterun Imperial Camp (Whiterun Hold)
- 11 around Whitewatch Tower (Whiterun Hold)
- This ingredient cannot normally be bought from apothecary merchants, even though it should be available according to their merchandise leveled lists. It also cannot be sold to apothecary merchants; it can only be sold to general goods merchants.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.