|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
This article is about the quest. For the note, see Vald's Debt (note).
 Quick Walkthrough
 Detailed Walkthrough
During The Pursuit, Vex tells you that Vald is working for Mercer Frey because of a debt he owes to Maven Black-Briar; clearing the debt is suggested as one way to get Vald to stop guarding Mercer's house, Riftweald Manor. To learn the details of the debt, track down Maven, who can typically be found at The Bee and Barb. She tells you that Vald lost an invaluable item, the Quill of Gemination at the bottom of Lake Honrich outside of Riften.
From the Riften Stables, head southwest until you reach the edge of the lake. Ahead, you should see a large ship docked at Riften. Swim towards the westernmost end of that ship and look west across the lake towards the Goldenglow Estate to see a similar ship docked there. Halfway to the other boat, the prow of Vald's sunken rowboat can be found at the bottom of the lake. For reference, a small island to the north will mark the halfway point. You'll see half a boat prow sticking out of the ground and the quill is located in Vald's Strongbox (leveled lock) . Pick it, take the Quill and a leveled amount of gold, then head back to find Maven. She'll hand you a note to take to Vald.
Head to the back gate of Riftweald Manor and wait there until Vald comes to talk to you. He'll give you a key to the house and open the back gate for you for releasing him from his debt.
- Even if you kill Vald, you will still have the dialog option to erase his debt with Maven. Attempting to erase Vald's debt after he is dead will still earn you leveled gold, but you will be unable to complete the quest by delivering the letter of pardon. The quest and item will stay active.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2.4 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- If the undelivered letter bothers you, it seems you can place it on owned bookshelves. You can also leave it on his corpse.
- It's possible that Vald won't come talk to you at the gate when you bring him the note to clear his debt, becoming hostile toward you instead. This can occur if you've walked too close to the yard after the quest has started, but before erasing Vald's debt.
- You can also try using Pacify if he becomes hostile and you don't wish to kill him.
 Quest Stages
|Vald's Debt (FreeformValdDebt)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
Objective 10: Talk to Maven about Vald's debt
Objective 20: Locate the Quill of Gemination under Lake Honrich
Objective 30: Bring the Quill of Gemination to Maven
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 40, 200.
|This Skyrim-related article is a stub. You can help by .|