|This article is being developed as part of the Skyrim Houses Redesign Project. If you see this tag it means the article can still be improved. Please see the project page for guidelines.|
|Added by Plug-in||Hearthfire|
|Respawn Time||Never (storage is safe)|
|Console Location Code(s)|
|North of Ustengrav
South of High Gate Ruins
After installing Hearthfire, you may purchase this plot of land at Highmoon Hall in Morthal. If Idgrod Ravencrone is still the jarl, speak with her steward, Aslfur; if the Stormcloaks have control of the hold, speak with the new jarl, Sorli the Builder or her husband Pactur. You will have to complete the quest Laid to Rest before being allowed to purchase land. When you ask if you can buy a house in the hold, you will be told that there are no houses for sale at that time, but a new plot of land is available. It will cost 5,000 gold.
Your new property, Windstad Manor, will be marked as an undiscovered location on your map, located in the northern part of Hjaalmarch on a small hill, south of High Gate Ruins and just east of where the land lowers into the Sea of Ghosts.
When you arrive on your new plot of land, you will find a drafting table, carpenter's bench, anvil, and chest south of the housebuilding area, just before the treeline. A "Log Pile" can be found slightly north of the drafting table. A stone quarry is a short distance north of the log pile, embedded in the cliff wall to the east, just before two snow-laden trees. Directly west from this point, towards the water, is a clay deposit; another stone quarry is in the cliff wall just behind it.
You can begin building your home immediately, with materials provided in the chest when you first arrive. A unique feature at Windstad Manor is you have the option to build a fish hatchery. Once built, the hatchery appears a distance north of your property, next to the clay deposit previously mentioned. If you place any fish or fish eggs (Slaughterfish Eggs or Salmon Roe) in the column at the end of the jetty (only one of each species will be accepted) and return to your property in a couple of days, the netted area of water will contain several offspring of that fish. The Slaughterfish that spawns is tame and will not attack you. The house entrance will face to the south; looking west from there affords an impressive view of Solitude atop its natural arch.
Like the other player-built homes, you will have the option to expand onto your home with a Main Hall, cellar, and three wing additions. See this page for pages detailing the furnishing options in each part of your home.
 NPCs Living Here
 Fish Hatchery
Multiple types of fish may be added at the same time to the hatchery and all will eventually mature. The following can be raised in the hatchery:
- Abacean Longfin
- Clam (using clam meat)
- Cyrodilic Spadetail
- River Betty
- Salmon (using salmon roeHF)
- Silverside Perch
- Slaughterfish (using their eggs)
- The offspring are not hostile to you, and slaughterfish egg nests will appear next to the jetty.
The nordic barnacle cluster appears to be the only aquatic creature that cannot be bred in the fishery.
 Related Quests
- Aftershock: Put an end to the rupture caused by the Eye of Magnus. (radiant)
- Bandit Attack: Rescue your beloved from their kidnappers. (radiant)
- Build Your Own Home: Construct a house for yourself.
- Frequent draugr (dead and undead), giant, and bandit spawns may occur here.
- One of the possible locations for a rupture to appear as part of Aftershock is located just beside the house.
- While living in Windstad Manor, adopted female children will sometimes say, "This place is scary. There are monsters in the swamp, I just know it."
- There is a group of three horkers near the fishery.
- There are a few bugs which affect all houses. See the bugs section of the Houses page for details and fixes.
- You will not receive the Windstad Manor Charter after purchasing the plot.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.0.3 of the Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.
- Sometimes Sonir can get stuck in the fireplace if it is built.
- You may not be able to purchase the furnishings for the entryway after building it. Also purchased furnishings for all other rooms may not appear.
- The workbench in the cellar can't be removed with the drafting table.
- Remodeling the house into an entryway will not carry over any improvements you have made and anything you may have placed in house containers will be lost.