This article is about the location. For the quest, see Yngol's Barrow.
|# of Zones||1|
|Respawn Time||Never (storage is safe)|
|Draugr, Yngol's Shade|
|Console Location Code(s)|
|Northeast of Windhelm|
 Related Quests
- Dungeon Delving: Do a favor for Jarl Korir by retrieving the Helm of Winterhold. (radiant)
- Yngol's Barrow: Find the treasure unlocked by the Coral Dragon Claw.
- Note: This location is one of many potential targets for one or more of the radiant quests found on this page.
 Detailed Walkthrough
The layout of the barrow is pretty linear: there are twists and turns but the main path will not split. Bouncing blue orbs are found throughout the barrow and will follow you around. At no point do these orbs become hostile.
The rotating stone puzzle is solved by reading Notes on Yngol Barrow, found on the Dead Scholar in front of the gate. The notes give a translation describing three animals in their habitats. To your right, as you face the locked gate, you will find an alcove with a throne, and an alcove with running water: the pillar in this alcove must be turned to the Whale symbol. On the opposite side, there is an alcove covered in weeds and plants: its pillar must be turned to the Snake symbol. The pillar in the last alcove, with sunlight shining through, must be turned to the Eagle symbol. The throne opposite the sunlit pillar requires no action on the part of the player.
Bridge: You will come across a room with a bridge crossing some shallow water. Underneath the bridge are a chest and a burial urn.
Swinging Gate Trap: Further ahead there is a locked gate with some minor treasure inside. Turning left just before it, you will find a leveled greatsword next to some snowberries. Shortly past here is a swinging gate trap, activated by a pressure plate. Past the trap is a chest containing loot. To the right is a wide corridor, at the end of which you will find the puzzle door.
Eventually, you will find a puzzle door with the typical 3 circles to be aligned. The combination is found on a coral dragon claw which you may find on a pedestal earlier in the barrow, or by visiting Birna in Winterhold.
- Note: Although Birna is a shopkeeper, she will sell the coral dragon claw for 50 gold through a separate dialogue option.
The correct combination for the puzzle door is (starting from the outer ring): Snake—Wolf—Moth.
Behind the puzzle door is a tomb with a throne. A ghost-like draugr (the bright mist in the room makes him hard to see) will animate and attack you once you step in the room. Depending on whether or not you have the Dungeon Delving quest (see Notes section), this encounter may lead you to obtain the Helm of Yngol or the Helm of Winterhold. Beyond the last foe, there is a gate that unlocks when you push the button next to the door and take the helm, providing a quick shortcut to the outdoors.
- If the puzzle door does not work, check here for possible fixes.
- If you encounter another draugr instead of the Yngol Shade, you will not be able to get out through the gate at the end and will have to retrace your steps. This seems to be caused by being sent to the barrow by a quest other than Yngol's Barrow. Another side effect is that the item you are sent for and the skeleton it rests upon are completely missing.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.3.2 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- To fix this bug before entering Yngol Barrow, type
setstage Favor158 20, which removes the Helm of Winterhold quest, enter and complete Yngol Barrow, which should be unbugged, then returning to Jarl Korir to get the Helm of Winterhold quest again. If the leveled draugr appears instead of the Yngol Shade, the Helm of Winterhold may be present inside the chest at the base of his throne. You still cannot exit via the gate, but at least you can complete the mission.[verification needed — Workaround not working as of patch 1.9]
- Enter the barrow through the alternate exit, which is not marked on your map. Turn right from the main entrance and follow the shoreline north until you come to two logs washed up on shore. Turn right and head towards the cliffs until you reach a little bay with a large rock formation on your right; some of the rocks on this formation have horizontal lines carved on them. Head towards this and you'll find the alternate exit.
- The coral dragon claw may be completely missing from the pedestal, and other items may have wedged themselves into the cave's geometry.
- Entering Yngol Barrow with a follower may cause a glitch whereby the cave is pitch black and neither Character Menu nor Journal buttons work. If so, exit the cave and leave your follower outside.