Skyrim talk:Castle Volkihar
- No-one with Beta can due to contracts, but as far as I can tell it's going to be to the far northwest of Solitude. It's a new location added to Skyrim, probably as an island. The Silencer speaksTalk 01:47, 14 June 2012 (UTC)
I heard that you can upgrade this castle once it's in your possession. Does anybody know what types of upgrades you can get? and is it like a regular house where you can store your items and sleep? thanks in advance.--JIGSAW 4 14:38, 28 June 2012 (UTC)
- The only upgrade for the house in the rubble gets cleared to the courtyard, once you beat the vampire side talk to Garan Marethi and he'll ask if you want to do it. I'm not sure what is "safe storage" or not though. --SPMcKinney 20:39, 3 July 2012 (UTC)
- The empty room to the upper right of the balcony floor gets redone about halfway through quest line. (spoiler alert) After defeat Lord Harkon you acquire his room which is right of the cathedral. These are all acquired naturally through progression. I also read somewhere which source I don't remember(probably this wiki) that when Velrica comes back from the Soul Cairn she replants the garden will verify later --Rollswetlogs 20:39, 10 July 2012
I found a hidden chest and an undercroft but don't know where would be best to put this info? If you go around to the North of the castle you will come across a harbour area with a door to Volkihar Undercroft and 4 skeletons. The Undercroft door says you need a key, which I don't have yet. Also, if you enter the water and swim down, past the first 3-4 broken boats you will find another boat (Volsung Dragon Priest Mask is useful). Within this wreck is a chest which had gold and a Flawless Emerald inside. Not sure if it respawns yet. Worth a mention I guess. (Saddy69 20:11, 3 July 2012 (UTC))
- The door becomes unlocked during the course of events in the quest Chasing Echoes. The harbor and undercroft are both important parts of the aforementioned quest. This article hasn't been properly fleshed out yet, so for now the note about the sunken ship and its chest can go under "Notes". Also, if anyone else is curious, I can confirm that there is a chest found inside a sunken ship, deep below the harbor, and it contains minor leveled loot (always gold, sometimes gems). • JATalk 20:26, 3 July 2012 (UTC)
- Thought that may be the case, thanks for confirming. (Saddy69 20:33, 3 July 2012 (UTC))
 Valerica's Study
A couple of points that may or may not be worth noting somewhere...
1) The door on Castle Volkihar Balcony indicates that it leads into "Valerica's Study." However, the study itself is labeled "Volkihar Ruins" when viewed on the map from the inside.
2) A Dragon Bone can be found on one of the tables in Valerica's study near the bookshelves. It along with everything else in the room will eventually respawn (I now have a total of four Dragon Bones acquired from this location alone). This is the only location in the game where a player can acquire a Dragon Bone without having to kill a dragon. Coupled with the respawning Dragon Scale that can be found at the Shrine of Akatosh near Rorikstead, this means that with the appropriate smithing perk, a player can now craft their own Dragon Bone/Scale equipment without having to complete the "Dragon Rising" chapter of the main quest. Ideal if you don't wish to activate random dragon attacks but you'd still like to be able to craft and improve your own Dragon equipment.184.108.40.206 00:36, 19 July 2012 (UTC)
- Another point you forgot to add: It's the only area in the game where 2 black soul gems respawn.--220.127.116.11 19:36, 19 July 2012 (UTC)
 Castle moving?
After completing the main quest I found the castle had moved from the far-north of the map to the far east did anyone else experience this? 18.104.22.168 14:16, 7 August 2012 (UTC)
- It doesn't actually move, but the ingame map rotates ever so slightly, if you are in one of the corners of the game world. So if you are at Fort Dawnguard, the map will rotate clockwise, making the castle appear in the far "north", while the map is actually just displayed differently. This also happens with a few of the vanilla game locations, but is much more apparent with the added cells from the DLC.--Geistertanz (talk) 05:46, 4 September 2012 (EDT)
 Moved from Article
Moved from article:
- Even though the castle's containers are said to be non-respawing, knapsacks and apothecary's satchels do respawn in ten days time like the rest of the castle.
- Added by ElementalDud at 18:17, 7 August 2012
 hatch in the thrall quarters
within the thrall area or vampire cattle place if you go past the two cages to your left there are two bowls with bones in them. I thought at first that was were the death hounds ate perhaps. however in that area is one of those draugr hatches that is filled with water, i can see some sort of passage inside but cant open the hatch. I don't use pc, i have xbox, so i can't use any command to get past. anyone that has pc version, could you get paste there and check it out? the curiosity is killing me, even if it does turn out to be nothing. Oh! and by the way if there is any way to open it legitimately, please let me know. thanks! — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 05:17 on 16 August 2012
- I can't find a way in either. Also on Xbox, and wondered about this myself. ABCface◥ 05:21, 16 August 2012 (UTC)
Currently, this page is set up for the Volkihar Keep portion of Castle Volkihar, with the exception of a few notes. There are several other areas which have redirects to this page, including the Undercroft, Ruins, East Tower, North Tower, Valerica's Study, and Castle Volkihar Balcony (not an area, but a fast-travel point). Separate, individual pages exist for two other related locations: Volkihar Courtyard and Volkihar Cathedral.
I suggest that the areas be split/merged as follows:
- A page for Volkihar Courtyard, which already exists and wouldn't involve any changes related to this proposal
- A page for Volkihar Keep
- merge the information from the Volkihar Cathedral onto the Volkihar Keep page, and make the Cathedral page into a redirect to the Keep page
- A page for the dungeon portions of Castle Volkihar, including:
- Volkihar Undercroft
- Volkihar East Tower
- Volkihar North Tower
- Volkihar Ruins
- Valerica's Study is technically part of Volkihar Ruins, so that redirect should go to the Castle Volkihar dungeons page
- The Castle Volkihar Balcony redirect should also lead to the Castle Volkihar dungeons page, as the door leads into Valerica's Study
For those who have played through Dawnguard at least once, it's pretty clear that Volkihar Keep is distinctly separate from all other interior areas within Castle Volkihar.
- Volkihar Keep is used as the Volkihar vampire faction's "guild hall", to compare it to other factions (Companions has Jorrvaskr, the College of Winterhold faction has its own College of Winterhold building, Dark Brotherhood has their sanctuary, Thieves Guild has the Ragged Flagon, etc.), and the keep has no enemies for guild members (until the very end of the DLC's main questline).
- On the other hand, the Undercroft, Ruins, and North Tower all have enemies such as skeletons, death hounds, and gargoyles, and are treated much more as "dungeon" areas in gameplay, with various loot which is available to members of either faction (vampires or Dawnguard) without stealing (the latter is true for the East Tower, though it has no enemies).
Even in game files, the areas of Castle Volkihar are set up in this manner.
- Editor ID is "DLC1VampireCastleGuildhallLocation"
- Members of this location include Volkihar Keep and Volkihar Cathedral
- Editor ID is "DLC1VampireCastleDungeonLocation"
- Memers of this location include Volkihar Ruins, Volkihar Undercroft, Volkihar East Tower, and Volkihar North Tower
While the parent locations for the dungeon and keep portions of this location are the same, I think the pages should be kept separate, as the information on each set of areas varies greatly and is distinct and extensive enough to warrant such action. Two sandboxes have been created with this proposal in mind which demonstrate an idea of how these pages would look if this change was made. Most of the work has been done already, so if the decision to follow through with this proposal is made, the main actions which would need to be taken are maintenance-type actions such as moving pages and changing redirects (various other tweaks as well, but pretty minor ones considering the extent of each page).
So, now that I've posted my TL;DR bit on the matter... based on the details provided above and/or personal gameplay experience, please provide your thoughts on this proposal. —ABCface 18:47, 22 August 2012 (UTC)
- Well seeing as the edits are currently taking place in my sandboxes, i obviously support this idea. WE can either break it up by what make sense, or we can break it up by how the game does - which in this instance - is both - ain't that peachy? Whispendtalk 02:59, 23 August 2012 (UTC)
- If this were Facebook, I'd "like" this proposal. --ADK 04:41, 28 August 2012 (UTC)
(←) All right, it's been a week and no one has commented that they oppose this, so I will go ahead and make the changes later tonight (I guess that would be early morning in coordinated universal time). ABCface◥ 12:42, 29 August 2012 (UTC)
 Loot respawning
I found that the much of the loot in the nort/east towers respawns every time you enter, while the enemies do not. maybe this is worth mentioning? 126.96.36.199 18:45, 17 November 2012 (GMT)
Are we wanting to place the castle in Haafinger? CSList shows the PNAM (which I assume means something like Place Name) value to be Tamriel, unlike the values for known locations where the PNAM value corresponds to a hold name (Whiterun example). --Xyzzy Talk 18:50, 11 March 2013 (GMT)