Skyrim talk:The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller
RE: "Near the Word Wall resides a gold ore vein; there is also a silver one on the opposite end of the room, along a catwalk which hugs the wall of the dungeon. A Pickaxe is required to mine these."
I looked all over that area for a pickaxe, not having got one ahead of time but wanting to mine the ore. I later found a pickaxe not far in the entrance of the cave, near where the conjurers are, on the corpse of a Bandit Outlaw. It's probably a fixed drop, but if someone can concur getting one too, before adding to the article to be on the lookout for it on the way in. — Unsigned comment by Trep35 (talk • contribs) at 03:02 on 20 November 2011
- I found one there too. I'm guessing it's fixed since the bandit was using it to mine when I found him. I made a note of it on the Ustengrav page. 18.104.22.168 06:14, 20 November 2011 (UTC)
 Returning the horn to Ustengrav (PS3)
I attempted to return the horn to Ustegrav this evening and could not interact with the altar. This was on the PS3 version and an update installed when I launched the game. Perhaps this has been "fixed". — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 06:29 on 29 November 2011
- I experienced the same on the PC version. Can somebody confirm is this rumor is true? 126.96.36.199 09:13, 9 December 2011 (UTC)
- After I had completed this quest, I later realized I had forgot to get the word off the wall in the dungeon so I went back inside to grab it. At the very end I noticed the altar. I went up and clicked on it, and to my surprise I absorbed a dragon soul out of it. Is that supposed to happen? I'm also pretty sure I did not have the horn with me anymore. It was so weird, I got the dragon-soul-absorbing effect complete with the glorious viking music and words that said "absorbed dragon soul". It just seemed so random at the time. (188.8.131.52 16:50, 9 December 2011 (UTC))
- Ok, so on 360 with current patches: To get the dragon soul(s) out of the altar you must first return the horn to the Greybeards. Upon returning to Ustengrav you will find an activateable altar. I didn't try to glitch it for 2 souls cuz dragons are so much fun to fight and I'm not that desperate for souls, so I don't know if the new patch happened to fix that minor glitch.C12aSh 22:41, 9 December 2011 (UTC)
- Tested on PS3: You would have to FIRST return the horn to the Greybeards, and head back to Ustengrav to then receive the Dragon Soul. You cannot do it in reverse. Tried glitching it to receive more than one, looks like only one is obtainable. Breetastic 00:16, 28 January 2012 (UTC)
 Doing Innocence Lost first
In the notes section it says, "If you have traveled to Windhelm and have accepted and completed Aventus Aretino's quest, You will not meet delphine at the Sleeping Giant Inn, You will meet a member of The Dark Brotherhood and therefore start a different set of side quests." I did Innocence Lost before this quest and I still met Delphine. Can anyone else confirm whether or not completing Innocence Lost affects this quest? 184.108.40.206 09:27, 10 December 2011 (UTC)
- I had done almost all of the Brotherhood quests before I did The Horn of Jurgen, and I still met Delphine in the inn. (220.127.116.11 16:51, 9 December 2011 (UTC))
- I had done some of the Brotherhood quests, and I still met Delphine. This was on 360 with all patches up to date.C12aSh 22:22, 9 December 2011 (UTC)
(←) I suspect that what that note means is if you have only completed Innocence Lost, have gotten the 'we know' note, and have not slept since then -- in other words, you have satisfied all the conditions for the abduction that kicks off With Friends Like These, but have not yet slept in a bed to trigger the abduction by Astrid. Think about it: As one step in this quest, you sleep in a bed (and are supposed to be immediately woken by Delphine.) But if you happen to do it at that exact point in the Dark Brotherhood questline (no earlier, no later), Astrid's abduction of the player will snatch you away from Delphine before Delphine's importance to the questline is ever introduced. If you've already been abducted by Astrid, you're safe. (This is all speculation, since I was far past that point in the Brotherhood quest line when I did this quest. But it would explain the above and makes intuitive sense -- it's very easy to see how this bug could happen.) I suspect that if you are interrupted by Astrid abducting you, you'd be able to resume the main quest simply by going to meet Delphine once all that is over, but, again, this is just speculation. But the point being -- yeah, this is just a minor bug, probably easy to recover from if you know what's going on, but look at the sequence of events from a player who doesn't know what's going on! It would look, to them (incorrectly) like the note they found in the place of the Horn came from Astrid, since they went where it told them to, went to sleep, and then triggered the Dark Brotherhood abduction initiation. I imagine a few people were very confused when they went through the whole Dark Brotherhood quest line after that and never got another mention of the horn, dragons, or anything else... amusingly, I can almost picture some people actually believing the Dark Brotherhood is the main quest! It's a complete bug, but the two quests do incidentally seem to segue nicely into each other when it happens, with the note appearing to be a trap by the Dark Brotherhood... and since you're abducted right before Delphine introduces herself, you have no reason to think she's important and no reason to ever go back to her inn. --Aquillion 05:49, 20 December 2011 (UTC)
- It's not required to sleep in the bed in the inn. I sat in the chair and Delphine came in started up. Just as a note. — Unsigned comment by 18.104.22.168 (talk) at 04:27 on 22 December 2011
- Ah. Well, either way, what's happening is that people are sleeping in the bed, which triggers the Dark Brotherhood quest -- and they're confusing this for part of this quest, since it would seem to flow naturally from one quest to the other (you get a letter, you go to the inn and sleep before the other quest has a chance to trigger, you wake up kidnapped; it's normal for players to assume that the kidnapping is related to the letter, and therefore to the main questline.) --Aquillion 21:51, 23 February 2012 (UTC)
(←) I have edited some of the wording of this bug, as on my first read through i found it confusing. It was incorrect that you would not meet Delphine at the Sleeping Giant Inn and the use of wording of when, instead of if, implied that you must sleep to progress in the quest. It was also incorrect that you must be seated in the rented room for Delphine to enter, you need only be inside the room. 22.214.171.124 23:52, 3 August 2012 (UTC)
 Be sure to collect loot? WHY?
My style is normally to kill enemies in an area, and then return to collect all the loot later. I think that advice like "be sure to collect any loot on the way," should be given only when, for example, you may not be able to return to a certain area after after you leave it. Jreynolds2 10:02, 17 December 2011 (UTC)
- I expect because with some of the larger locations, the first level may have the corpses cleaned up when you return to loot them. I think this is because a day or two may pass in game time without the player realising it. This happened to me in the Grimsever quest, at least one other also. Chests seem to be OK though.
 Return the horn to Arngeir. get free soul (xbox 1.3.5)
after returning the horn to arngeir and receiving the greeting (completing the quest) then returning to ustengrav (also, before locating the dragon burial site) will allow you to activate the horn, which is on the altar. i was able to absorb 1 dragon soul from this method.
and this only worked after completing the quest. trying this after getting the horn from delphine but before returning it to arngeir did not work. and in a previous save (xbox 1.2) i completed a blade in the dark and then returned the horn, free dragon soul did not work, could not activate horn/altar. RaW 04:45, 19 December 2011 (UTC)
 Returning the horn to Ustengrav (PC)
cRookie: I was actually able to absorb as many as 6 souls from the tomb by quickly tapping E (use/activate) on my keyboard. This was the second in third tries from which the first and the last gave only 5 souls. I did not test it further so I'm unable to tell what's the most you can get out of it. Maybe others will obtain more souls... — Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk) at 20:47 on 20 December 2011
- What does the subject of this post have to do with its content? Lord Eydvar 00:54, 24 December 2011 (UTC)
- As stated in the article, once you give the horn to the greybeards, you can return to Ustengrav to receive a dragon soul from the altar. This user claims that, by rapidly activating the altar, they were able to receive 6 souls instead of just one. Where's the confusion? --188.8.131.52 18:26, 3 January 2012 (UTC)
 Multiple Souls from Altar Patched?
I just tried to collect the multiple souls from the altar last night (1-4-12), and even while using a turbo function for the "A" button, I was unable to get any more than one soul on each of my four tries. Can anyone else confirm this? Do you need to continuously press "A" for a long time, or just during the first "dragon soul absorbed" animation? I did try holding down the A button on turbo for almost a full minute, but still nothing.
I did this on Xbox 360, and have not completed the Blade of the Dark quest. I had begun talking to Delphine in the secret room about following her to Kynesgrove, but "backed out" of the conversation before making "travel plans." I ended up taking my one soul and leaving, but I believe I kept a save file to test this some more if someone has more information or a different idea. Shadow Hado 18:25, 5 January 2012 (UTC)
- patch 1.3.7 on PC still worked to get 2 souls just by pressing "E" a bunch of times on the altar. — Unsigned comment by 184.108.40.206 (talk) at 15:44 on 25 January 2012
- 1.5.26 on PC and I was able to get 3 souls this way just the other night. — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) at 04:07 on 5 April 2012
- Just did this on patch 1.6 and got 2 souls 18.104.22.168 08:08, 12 June 2012 (UTC)
 Moved from Bugs
I've removed the bug that says "New shout not available by waterfall - if you stand too far from the area" as you never learn a shout if you're standing too far from the wall, so I'm not sure how this is a bug. If anyone has had an experience where they couldn't learn the shout no matter how close they got, please add info on it. I also removed the note about the area sometimes not being clearable, as that is already noted on the area page, and isn't quest specific. I left the note about Delphine's secret room, but I'm not sure it's really that noteworthy and can also be removed. EmmBee 20:53, 20 January 2012 (UTC)
 Dissappearing horn Bug?
I followed the quest line up until meeting Delphine at her inn with no problems. I asked her for the attic room, she led me over, introduced herself, and gave me the horn. I talked with her and accepted her questline, but when I went to High Hrothgar to turn in the horn, it wasn't in my inventory. I thought that maybe it had glitched and dropped out of my bags while I was still at the inn, but I've turned the place over looking for it, and it has disappeared into the ether. I had fast traveled from the inn to High Hrothgar as soon as I was done taking usefull stuff from Delphine's room, so I don't think the horn would be anywhere but those two places. I've been told that quest items never disappear, but that may not have been accurate. As for the quest itself, it has dropped below the divider line on my quest log, and there is a little red X next to the last objective. I assume this means I've failed it, but is that permanant, or is there a way I can finish it after all? — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 17:53 on 26 January 2012
- Did you actually talk to Arngeir? I didn't see the horn in my inventory either, even though I got the status note about it being added when I talked to Delphine. I went to High Hrothgar anyway, spoke to Arngeir, and everything continued as if I had it. Then I went and put the horn back for the dragon soul, and it showed up on the tomb like it was supposed to. So it seems like there might be a bug where the Horn doesn't show up in your inventory, but it's still there. EmmBee 22:07, 20 February 2012 (UTC)
 No Dragons on this quest?
After clearing out Ustengrav and retrieving the note, I went on a bit of a walkabout before heading to Riverwood. During that time - which must have been several weeks in-game, not to mention several character levels, I didn't encounter a single random dragon. I killed one at its lair near to Karthwasten, and saw one flying around the lair just north of Rannveig's Fast, but that was it. So I began to wonder - are random dragon encounters disabled once you've got the note, until you've killed Sahloknir, or are there only a limited number of random dragons at the start - a bit like there were only a few Oblivion gates until a certain point in the Oblivion main quest? I guess disabling the dragon encounters until you've killed Sahloknir would make sense - Delphine is getting you to kill that dragon to prove you are Dragonborn, and if you travelled with her to Kynesgrove you would prove you are Dragonborn if you killed a random dragon on the way, which would remove the need to fight Sahloknir. --Gaebrial 11:12, 9 February 2012 (UTC)
 Completing the Quest Using Console Commands
The quest glitched up a bit for me so going with this walkthrough, I used console commands to finish the quest and then I used console commands to learn the last word of the Unrelenting Force shout. But now, I don't know how to start the next quest. And I don't want to have to go through the quest again cuz the spiders in it scared me, I am arachnophobic. I used the BearSpider mod to change all the spiders into bears so i don't get freaked out but the webs and the sacs and the other stuff still scares me.. Thanks in advance --126.96.36.199 23:08, 20 March 2012 (UTC)
- I can totally empathize with your spider problem :(. Anyway, you should theoretically be able to start the next quest with console codes. Check out this note from the A Blade in the Dark: On the PC, it is possible to use the console to advance through the quest by entering
setstage MQ106 stage, where
stageis the number of the stage you wish to complete. Hope that helps! eshetalk 16:47, 16 April 2012 (UTC)
 Problem with Gates
I did the quest April 2012. Using the shout/run got me through the gates but they closed behind me preventing my follower from following. If you accept this and finish the quest (not hard at level 29) you can't open the gates again to get out. My answer was to shout/run to the second/third gates. The first gate closed shutting off my follower again but this time when I finished the quest solo I could use the pull handle to open the first gate and return to my follower and the dungeon to get out in the usual way. Don't know if this is a bug or what but hope it may help someone else who gets stuck like this. — Unsigned comment by DavGv (talk • contribs) at 15:28 on 19 April 2012
 Passing the gates with only one word of Whirlwind Sprint without sprinting
Stand between the first two stones to open the first two gates. Hold down W to run for around one second before using Whirlwind Sprint. You'll be cutting the first two gates a bit closer, but you get an extra second before the third one closes. — Unsigned comment by Biggus1 (talk • contribs) at 16:23 on April 22, 2012
 Verification of 2 shouts - moved from article
- I think this qualifies as confirmed. I will remove the VN tag. --Xyzzy 20:05, 9 May 2012 (UTC)
 Translating the Greybeards
What do they say? My ancient nord is not fluent enough to catch everything they say. Can someone translate their speech? I can understand some words here and there but not everything. --Morgion 19:30, 9 May 2012 (UTC)
- Lingrah krosis saraan Strundu'ul, voth nid balaan klov praan nau. Long sorrowfully (has) waited the Stormcrown, with no worthy head to rest on. Naal Thu'umu, mu ofan nii nu, Dovahkiin, naal suleyk do Kaan, naal suleyk do Shor, ahrk naal suleyk do Atmorasewuth. By our Voice we give it now (to you), Dragonborn, by (the) power of Kyne, by the power of Shor, and by the power of Atmora-of-old. Meyz nu Ysmir, Dovahsebrom. Dahmaan daar rok. (You have) become now Ysmir, Dragon of the North. Remember these words. — Kimi the Elf (talk | contribs) 19:37, 9 May 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks, cool, wouldn't that be a good addition to the article? --Morgion 19:48, 9 May 2012 (UTC)
- Maybe but im not sure which is correct, thats what the CS says however, asking Arngeir he will say - Ah. I sometimes forget you are not versed in the dragon tongue as we are. This is a rough translation "Long has the Stormcrown languished, with no worthy brow to sit upon." "By our breath we bestow it now to you in the name of Kyne, in the name of Shor, and in the name of Atmora of Old." "You are Ysmir now, the Dragon of the North, hearken to it." There both similar but different... — Kimi the Elf (talk | contribs) 21:27, 9 May 2012 (UTC)
- As I understand it, the first quote is a translation while what Arngeir tells is the meaning. --Morgion 22:14, 9 May 2012 (UTC)
 Multiple souls from the alter.
My Skyrim is using the latest patch as of 13/6/12 (I'm not sure what that is, I'm not normally into this sort of technical thing) and the "spam X for extra souls" completely worked, in fact, I got far more than 2 souls, enough to unlock all my locked shouts, at least 5. — Unsigned comment by 188.8.131.52 (talk) at 19:08 on 13 June 2012
 pillar race part bugged as of 1.6 (PC)
After the 1.6 patch, the gates don't seem to stay open anymore. This may require you to either continue without your follower, or having to use the console to summon him to you. WooShell 22:00, 16 June 2012 (UTC)
 Obtain multiple Dragon Souls from the altar [verification provided]
- After returning the Horn to Arngeir, if you return to Ustengrav and activate the altar where you found the note, you will be granted a dragon soul. (Reported not to work after completing the Blade in the Dark quest.)
- It is possible to gain two or more Dragon Souls if the player rapidly uses the Activate button on the altar. However, reports of success at this are varied. [verification needed — Needs testing.]
I've tried the following on PC (184.108.40.206.6):
- With both quests The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller and A Blade in the Dark completed,
- Only with The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller completed.
It IS possible to obtain multiple Dragon Souls. But you have to push the keyboard key like crazy. I've only manage to get 3 maximum. YMMV.
Also I've tried with a custom key (Activate repeated every 10ms), I got 13 Dragon Souls! It may be possible to have more if the key is kept pressed.
Videos (both quests completed, starting with 5 Dragon Souls):
- 3 Dragon Souls obtained manually (217 MB)
- 13 Dragon Souls obtained with repeat key (76 MB) (I captured only the last part, the beginning is the same as the video above)
--Sam 23:25, 31 June 2012 (UTC)
 Stuck in quest, Delphine stays at Whitrun and is not coming to the Riverwood.
I cannot finish this quest because Delphine will not come to Riverwood. She stays at the Castle of Whitrun, what should I do?
Greetings, Snskiller 20:02, 10 August 2012 (UTC)