Skyrim talk:The Taste of Death
 No Choice to Kill Eola
So, apparently you don't really have a choice to KILL Eola to 'complete' the quest. Sure, it ends, but it is failed. I killed Eola outside of the cave and then, since I was in the vicinity, proceeded to loot the cave. I wandered around for about 15 minutes after, and found a character kneeling over another one on the ground (a dead body it turns out). He stepped back and said "Oh! The Champion of Namira, you should have the first bite." This bug makes me angry. Sjketch 00:58, 24 November 2011 (UTC)
- ...Now that you mention it, i found someone saying that a while back while exploring the wilds. Even though i killed Eola right at the start for that priest guy. Huh. :s --Bonabopn 22:40, 25 November 2011 (UTC)
 Bounty Bug
Another small bug I noticed was if you do the option to lure the priest and kill him. I was given a 1,000 bounty for doing so. So unless the people in the area ratted me out (they are cannibals mind you) or there was a chicken in the area (coded as humans?!) then it is probably a glitch? I doubt they intend to give you a bounty for this quest. I already have enough problems with the city of Malkarth. I cannot even enter the talos temple without the guards arresting me a second time and trying to put me back in the mines... sigh. I already beat that quest!
Anyways this bug was kinda weird, since I heard people scream "Someone has been killed!" but it was not within the room. So I am assuming the physical location of the dungeon/altar place is near enough to other npc's that could have detected me?
The above is just in case someone else has the same issue. I think the game secretly hates on me more than others. So I highly doubt it is focusing its concentrated rage at anyone else in this intensity.
 Automatic Enemy of Namira Worshipers bug
On the 360 as soon as I kill the Draugr overlord, Eola became hostile to me for no reason. I was lucky enough to kill the overlord with bows and had her next to me so she spoke to me right away granting me with the chance to complete more of this small questline. But when I came back with Verulus they were all hostile126.96.36.199 16:49, 3 December 2011 (UTC)
Confirmed this bug with my friend, we tried leaving Eola outside and calm spells and still can't go without having to "defend ourselves". I'm planning on attempting some invisibility approaches in order to be able to finish the quest with the ring but otherwise see no possible way to complete the quest properly and therefore obtain the trophy "oblivion walker". (not a brighter moment for the game man)
188.8.131.52 07:13, 10 December 2011 (UTC)
I had this incredibly annoying problem too. After hours of tinkering, I found it's best if you just kill them all. Afterwards, go back, target each one individually, and type a series of console commands, pressing enter after each one: resurrect, stopcombat, then setav aggression 0.
I exited the console each time, but I'm not sure if that's necessary, so stopcombat may not be needed because they won't have a chance to start fighting if you don't exit the console. If you do have to exit the console each time, I suggest doing these commands in very quick succession, as stopcombat only lasts for a second.
Also, killing is necessary because if one of them starts attacking you, they'll all become aggressive again. Having them dead first allows you to fix each of them one at a time.
184.108.40.206 07:13, 10 December 2011 (UTC)
I had a similar problem with this quest so I restarted it. I entered the cave w/o Eola and the quest worked just fine. The first time thru when everyone turned hostile, I or my Flame Atronach may have hit Eola in combat. She breifly became aggresive but calmed down and we finished the cave, but after killing the boss she became hostile as did the other cannibal cultists. It is a guess but I think either having her in the cave or hitting her caused the aggression at the end of the quest. Jack Acid--Jack Acid 19:04, 5 February 2012 (UTC)
 Previously Cleared Cave Bug
I had already cleared out the Reachcliff Cave before accepting the Taste of Death quest. I am now unable to enter the cave after receiving the quest. The game freezes when I attempt to enter the cave after speaking with Eola outside the cave. I have attempted 10 times, and the game freezes every time.
 Oblivion Walker Achievement
Why does it say that the Ring of Namira is essential to getting the Oblivion Walker achievement? There are 16 artifacts and you only need 15 to get the achievement. --DagmarH 10:21, 11 December 2011 (UTC)
It probably goes towards the oblivion walker achievement if you havent already got it.-J'Skar 04:08, 30 December 2011 (UTC)
- Since the rewards for Darkness Returns don't count towards Oblivion Walker, this one is effectively mandatory. See the Darkness Returns talk page for related discussion. --DryHumour 01:54, 1 January 2012 (UTC)
 Question on the ring of namira
I'm wondering if the added health from eating corpses is permentent once added to my health bar. Currently on my game it isn't but the game is so completly buggy I'm wondering if that's just me as my health doesn't recover faster when eating a corpse either.... if this is the case and the ring doesn't add HP permenently it's rather underpowered and weak for a Daedric ring effectively only giving the player 50 stamina bonus... your thoughts?
- When you receive the ring you have the option of complaining that it isn't really much of a reward for all that you've done, so it may well be intentionally underpowered. 220.127.116.11 10:15, 19 January 2013 (GMT)
 Misc quest still active
I have Speak to Verulus about the Hall of the Dead still active under Misc quests, although I went there spoke with Eola, took him to the cave and ate him :) I hate having unfinished quests and I thought this would go away with his death.--18.104.22.168 23:51, 19 December 2011 (UTC)
- Same here. --Nick — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 23:30 on 4 February 2012
- I did some checking this afternoon. Eola will not be in the Hall unless you have talked to Verulus about why it is closed down. Afterwards, when the Taste of Death is initiated and Eola casts her invisibility spell, a crystal-clear objective update will encourage you to go talk to Verulus about the Hall. Go do it when the game tells you to do it - or, if it is possible, do it when you are sent by Eola to lure Verulus to the Shrine. I haven't tested if the dialogue option disappears when you have cleared the cave with Eola. In any case, just do it when the game tells you to - then everything will be okay. --Krusty 00:13, 5 February 2012 (UTC)
 Eating vs biting
Does anyone know how this quest interacts with your caracter being a vampire ?
- it doesn't, you eat dead bodies (as a cannibal) and you feed on live people (as a vampire) (Eddie The Head 08:03, 25 December 2011 (UTC))
i finished the quest but i cant eat anyone is this a bug?126.96.36.199 07:25, 26 December 2011 (UTC)
- this happened to me as well. are you a vampire? this could be causing a problem. thats all i know— Unsigned comment by 188.8.131.52 (talk) at 13:14 on 4 February 2012
 the priest and Eola dont do anything
I bring the preist to Eola and they just stand there, she doesnt talk to him or anything, its kind of the same with the brynjolf bug in riften, any thoughts on this?
 Speak with Brother Verulus about Hall of the Dead after killing him in this quest
I still have quest under misc to speak with Brother Verulus any way to end this?--184.108.40.206 20:18, 9 January 2012 (UTC)
As far as I can tell, I got this bug due to speaking to Verulus first and starting the quest chain, then hearing about rumors from the owner of the inn in Markarth. Haven't tested it yet, but speaking to the innkeeper before anything else may prevent this.
 Stuck with Lisbet's Dibella Statue
I finished Lisbet's_Missing_Shipment before bringing Brother_Verulus to the feast. After attacking Eola and killing all of the guests I took Lisbet's_Dibella_Statue from Lisbet's Corpse. It is still considered a quest item and cannot be dropped.
player.removeitem 0008F997 1 did the trick. --220.127.116.11 10:17, 18 January 2012 (UTC)
 Moved from article
This was moved from the article until someone can test it properly:
- If you participate in the macabre feast, it has been reported that in some cases you can loot the 1000 gold from his dead body anyway [NOT confirmed: PC, Steam, Jan22 2012], and you will not lose access to these NPCs. Other than occasional comments by guards, there appear to be no further repercussions for this choice either way, even with Arkay and his followers.
--Krusty 22:30, 22 January 2012 (UTC)
The article is wrong, eola is essential and I have no other choice than to kill the priest 18.104.22.168 16:07, 11 February 2012 (UTC)
You have a choice, it may be just a bug for you, because for me it was fine.--Br3admax 16:10, 11 February 2012 (UTC)
Yeah, follower tweaks addon caused this. It was made pre-CK and it made followers essentials/no level-cap and no default outfit without adjusting quest lines to change the flag 22.214.171.124 16:14, 11 February 2012 (UTC)
 Brother Verulus won't follow me into the cave
On 360 I bribed Brother Verulus to follow me and he accepted, we fast traveled to the secret entrance and he's there standing outside with me, but once I enter he does not follow, actually he disappears. He's not in the cave anywhere and he's no longer outside when I leave and reloading a save doesn't help. Anyone else seen this/know a work around?
126.96.36.199 06:20, 12 February 2012 (UTC)
- Not me, but I suggest exploring an area thoroughly before assuming a companion has disappeared. Sometimes when you center a cell into a cramped space, the game will the load your follower(s) into some pretty strange areas. Minor EditsThreats•Evidence 06:19, 11 March 2012 (UTC)
The article says:
- If after completing the quest and receiving the Ring of Namira the player attacks any guest, Eola becomes aggressive. Killing Eola--even after quest completion--causes player journal to show all quest objectives as failed.
I have completed this quest and I just went and killed Eola to check this out. I find no difference in the quest log. Maybe I'm missing something. Can anyone else confirm this? --Middleofsweden 15:53, 16 February 2012 (UTC)
- I checked this out yesterday and found it to be valid information - it's usefulness can be debated though. What happened was that, when Eola and all the guests were dead, all objectives in the quest log turned into that red "failed"-mark. Since I'm on the PS3, I can't really check if it does anything in the stats (especially the achievement), but for now, it could be worth mentioning. If you couldn't trigger this behavior, it is worth mentioning as well, if we can narrow doen the circumstances, like how much time passed since you completed the quest? --Krusty 10:17, 20 February 2012 (UTC)
- I also just confirmed that all objectives turn to x's if you kill Eola after completing the quest (on PC, update 1.5). I killed the rest and left her pacified (and locked her in as best I could). --VSim 07:31, 28 February 2012 (UTC)
Likewise, I completed this quest (Verison 188.8.131.52.6 on the PC) and killed all of the dinner guests after getting the ring by exiting the banquet hall, casting a frenzy back into it, and polishing off the winner, Eola. The quest stayed completed and successful. Kalevala 00:02, 26 July 2012 (UTC)
 Sweeney Todd Reference
Given that the NPC you're... tasting... is a priest, this quest rather reminds me of the "Try the Priest" song from Sweeney Todd. Possibly not an intentional reference, but maybe worth noting all the same. Thoughts? --Theothersteve7 19:08, 21 February 2012 (UTC)
 Shouldn't be here
-After completing the quest, if you kill all the guests at the feast, Namira will compliment you. She can be heard saying, "Excellent work, child."- I was trying to fill ebony blade during this quest, and with the subtitles, this statement is atributed to whispering door. I checked multiple times with and without ebony blade equipped. This should therefore be removed. — Unsigned comment by The Silencer (talk • contribs) at 06:34 on March 4, 2012
- Please sign your posts. Could you be more specific about what you're suggesting? You're saying that people are using the Ebony Blade obtained in The Whispering Door frequently in this quest, so whoever posted that information on the page confused the voice of Namira with the voice of Mephala because he/she did not use subtitles? Minor EditsThreats•Evidence 06:26, 11 March 2012 (UTC)
- Following instructions on the ebony blade page that the monk is a viable target, which he doesnt seem to be, somebody has used the blade here (the same reason i used the blade here). The other people at the feast are viable targets, which is why the blade responds. And it only takes one person to wiki.--The Silencer 06:43, 11 March 2012 (UTC)
 Bugs Everywhere?
Just ran a few tests to clean up some bugs, and it seems it is not even possible to clear out Reachcliff Cave before the quest is triggered. There are several hidden walls (one is a coffin that will only break open during the quest) and the secret entrance will lead nowhere as it will only open once the chamber is clear and Eola speaks to you. Therefore, if anybody knows how to clear this cave and receive the infamous CTD (bug moved to this talk page, below), please say so now or forever hold your peace.
- There is the possibility that when you try to enter the cave to clear the draugr that you will recieve a CTD. It is possible that if you have already cleared the cave you may not be able to get back in.
--Krusty 07:56, 13 March 2012 (UTC)
- Tested these two supposed bugs as well:
- If you receive the "Investigate the Hall of the Dead" objective from Brother Verulus, Kleppr can still give you the rumor which leads to the "Speak to Brother Verulus" objective. This objective will never disappear from your journal, even after Brother Verulus is dead.
- Result: Kleppr will be absolutely dead silent about the Hall of the Dead, so it must be a one-off.
- If you kill Eola at any time and thus fail the quest, you will still be able to ask the cannibalistic citizens about the feast, even if you never set foot outside the Halls of the Dead for this quest. This includes even the special Sigar encounter, and he will offer you the first bite as though you were a cannibal.
- Result: Tested this with Hogni and Banning and none of them would speak of the feast. Maybe they will if you trigger The Taste of Death properly and Eola dies in Reachcliff Cave, but for now, this is not worded correctly.
- --Krusty 08:24, 13 March 2012 (UTC)
- Tested these two supposed bugs as well:
I'm playing on the PS3, patch 1.4, and still have "Speak to Brother Verulus" as an objective even after completing "Investigate the Hall of the Dead." Talking to him after meeting Eola did not remove the "Speak to" objective from my journal. I really didn't want to do "The Taste of Death," but I guess I will for the sake of testing. If that clears up the problem, I'll report back here about it. --Silmina 00:20, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
Update: Completing "The Taste of Death" didn't clear the objective from my journal, nor did failing it by killing Eola from the get-go work. If Kleppr tells you that rumor after you've already talked to Verulus on the PS3 version, it seems you're stuck with it. --Silmina 06:28, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- As far as I can tell, there's only one way to get each objective, namely to speak to either Kleppr of Verulus. If you speak to Kleppr first, you'll get the 'Speak to Verulus' objective - if you speak to Verulus first, Kleppr will not mention anything about Verulus. Just tested it again, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. Can you remember how you triggered the bug? I'd like to test it properly. --Krusty 06:48, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- I've played using patch 1.4 (PS3 version) from the beginning of the game, so I can assure you it's not a holdover from a previous version of the game. I visited Markarth fairly early in my adventures after getting a letter from Calcemo asking me to sell him my shiny new Dwarven Sword in the name of science. So I went straight to Understone Keep, where I spoke to Brother Verulus and gained the objective "Investigate the Hall of the Dead." After selling the sword to Calcemo, I backtracked to explore the rest of Markarth, and spoke to Kleppr which yielded the rumor about the Hall of the Dead and the objective "Speak to Brother Verulus." I'm not sure if it's revelant, but I did a lot of other quests first before I finally got around to actually investigating Markarth's Hall of the Dead. That's as much as I can remember about the glitch; if you like, I'll start a new game and see if I can trigger it again. --Silmina 21:47, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks for detailed bug info - I'll give it yet another shot, even if I suspect the innkeeper-provided rumors to work in mysterious ways. I can't help but think of the people who receive the The Black Star objective twice - I could never trigger that either, but maybe their rumor section 'respawns' at some time? Sounds a bit awkward, so I'll just do the testing. Thanks again. --Krusty 08:13, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
After being asked to fetch the priest I left without getting the 100 coins and being shown the way out, and now there seems to be no secret way out, although I can see the cave wall where it should be, but there is no way to open it now. 184.108.40.206 04:21, 24 March 2012 (UTC)
 "Not Feeling So Good"
I did the quest 2 times just to see what happens if i do and if i do not eat the corpse. After eating and saying i don't feel so good, I missed what she says will happen if you go too long without eating human flesh. Could someone please let me know if they remember or have experienced what happens due to not eating flesh after a period of time i really dont want to become a cannibal but if i really need to i guess i will do so.
Thanx in advance. ->>>NAPALM71<<< 06:23, 17 April 2012 (UTC)
- She just said something like "you'd feel that way after going so long without eating a proper meal" or something like that and it's nothing to worry about. — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) at 13:00 on 3 May 2012
- i killed eola before the feast and cant get the quest to start after waiting several days the silver blood inn just talks about the doegnia guy wont say anything about the hall of dead vernus is in the hall of dead walking around but wont mention anything about going into the cave and i cant get the girl to come back ps3 1.7 update — Unsigned comment by 18.104.22.168 (talk) at 00:21 on 15 August 2012
 The "Eola vanishes" picture
It says that the picture needs an improvement, but I don't see how you can improve that abomination. As far as I'm concerned that picture needs to be deleted. Why no replace it with a picture of Eola instead? I don't see her anywhere. — Unsigned comment by Piwah (talk • contribs) at 20:03 on 18 July 2012
- It does say it needs to be replaced, preferably with a spooky image of Eola. If you take an image you think is better you can replace it if you wish. ^_^ — Kimi the Elf (talk | contribs) 20:47, 18 July 2012 (UTC)
 Eola is "Protected"
She can't be killed by the draugr inside the cave as she's "protected", unless of course you manually add bEssentialTakeNoDamage=0 line in Skyrim.ini, and if you do that, the quest will jump to stage 250 when she died, even though it wasn't you who killed her. --22.214.171.124 06:32, 3 September 2012 (UTC)
 Don't approve of cannabilism
If you think eola should be killed off for her disgusting culinary desires; then use her as the companion for the boethia cult quest. — Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk) at 15:30 on 1 January 2013
- Or kill her before completing the quest and thus having to eat someone to punish someone for eating someone. Or could you do that part when she is following you into the cave? She's probably essential but that's an interesting question.--Catmaniac66 (talk) 17:39, 1 January 2013 (GMT)
 Quest Failed
I killed Eola in Markarth when I first met her. Afterwards I found out that the quest was a daedric quest. I'm now stuck with the entry "I killed Eola. Whatever she could have offered me was lost when she died". However I already tried to use the console command "setstage DA11Intro 0" but it didn't change anything. Has anybody an idea what I did wrong or an idea how I can reset the quest to zero? (PC-version) 188.8.131.52 18:19, 21 January 2013 (GMT)
- You probably need to resurrect Eola first, then enter the quest stages again. Silence is GoldenBreak the Silence 23:32, 21 January 2013 (GMT)
- First of all thanks for the quick respond (It was so suprising that I actually dint't check until now). I resureccted Eola via the "place at me" command and did as before to set the quest stage to zero of both "DA11Inro" and "DA11" and afterwards talked to Eola again. But she acted as if I finished the quest talking about me being the champion. I actully got similar response from other npc wich are part of the quest bothe befor and after using the console comamnds to resurrect Eola or set back the quest stage. I looked in my Questjournal and it appears that the entry is now gone wich means I didn't fail the quest but also didn't accomplished it. It is also not one of my current quests. Any other advice? 18:31, 24 January 2013 (GMT)— Unsigned comment by 184.108.40.206 (talk)
 How many Human Flesh samples?
The ingredient article says that 2 are here, and I just wasted 15 minutes looking for a third in the vicinity of the feast, so I'm going to correct the number stated on the page to reflect that listed the ingredient page.--Playerseekingbugs (talk) 07:20, 2 February 2013 (GMT)
- The information on the ingredient page was added directly from game data, so that was indeed correct. Thanks for fixing it on this article. — ABCface◥ 07:41, 2 February 2013 (GMT)
 Killing Brother Verulus/Murder
Is there a way to do this without the game counting the act as murder? I'm not particularly bothered in terms of RP-ing, I just don't want the DB questline activating itself yet - which it will if this counts as a murder. The stat screen appears to, at least.
 Bug confirmed, unsure of cause
In the Bugs section, there is an unconfirmed bug,
"If you choose to kill Eola in the Markarth Hall of the Dead, Brother Verulus may become glitched and will continually approach you for conversation whenever you enter the keep."
I can confirm that the bug does occur, though I am entirely unsure of what causes the bug. In addition, it seems that the bug is unspecific to Brother Verulus; I have also encountered the bug with Sofie (one of the kids from Hearthfire). — Unsigned comment by Jadebrain (talk • contribs) at 20:17 on 8 April 2013