The Elder Scrolls Construction Set is the same one as the developers at Bethesda used to produce almost all of the game's content. Features include:
- It can edit almost all aspects of the game excluding 3D object creation. Unofficial 3D Studio MAX, Maya, and Blender plug-ins have been released to allow people to make their own models.
- It is designed to allow easy editing while providing extended operation for experts to create more complex objects.
- All changes, additions, modifications, or deletions by the editor are stored in files called plug-ins. Bethesda says that a typical plug-in (small dungeon, loot, quests, etc...) should be around 200kb in size. Additional models, sound, or music, may increase that size significantly though.
- There is effectively no limit to the number of plug-ins you can apply to the game. This means that you can download and install whichever plug-ins suit your fancy. The game has good checks in place to ensure that multiple plug-ins do not interfere with each other.
- Plug-ins can easily be added or removed from the game. Thus, if you install a plug-in which messes up the game or you don't like, it can be removed.
- Typical creation time for a decent plug-in is very small. Developers at Bethesda say they were making simple quests and dungeons in under an hour when they first started to use it. The editor uses a drag-and-drop technique to accomplish this. For example, you might drag several dungeon sections from the library to create a full dungeon, and then drag in a few monsters and NPCs and some items/treasure for atmosphere.
- Simple scripts (no function definitions) can be implemented for most objects in the game allowing for practically limitless possibilities.
- Tutorial explaining the layout and interface of the CS.
- The Construction Set is available for digital download from here.
- Editing Interiors - Editing interior cells.
- Creating Clean Mods - How to make sure your mods are 'clean' and avoid the dirty save bug.
- Alphabetical Function List - All scripting functions, sorted alphabetically.
- Categorical Function List - All scripting functions, sorted by category.
- Scripting Basics - An introduction to scripting.
- Scripting Pitfalls - Common and unexpected scripting problems and how to deal with them.
- External Links:
- Scripting Tips - John Moonsugar offers a few notes regarding scripts.
- Comprehensive Tutorial and Useful Link List @ Official Forums
- Dave Foster - a series of tutorials on the CS
- Dragonsong - beginner's tutorial with the CS
- Modding for smarties - abot offers his experience and best practices for the serious modder.
- Morrowind Mod Maker's Bible (.pdf)
- Yacoby's Morrowind Scripting for Dummies 9.0
- GhanBuriGhan's Morrowind Scripting for Dummies 8.0 (Zipped)
- Tamriel Rebuilt Tutorials
- Thanos' Tower – Tutorials and more by Scott Fisher (use dropdown on left)
- Tommy Khajiit's programs – Tutorials and guides