Discussions and questions about the CS and mods for Oblivion
Post a reply

CS Help: Heightmap Tear/How to use TESAnnwyn

Sat May 16, 2015 3:53 am

"Hey wait a second, why is this Oblivion-related thread in the Skyrim mod forum?"
I posted my thread here because it's hard to get support for such an old game, and the Oblivion section of the UESP forums seems pretty dead like everywhere else on the internet. Also this problem pertains to heightmaps in general, so it doesn't exclusively apply to Oblivion.

Now that's out of the way, I'll explain my problem. I'm working on a mod for Oblivion which requires me to duplicate the entire Tamriel worldspace (not static objects, only the heightmap itself), seems simple enough. However, I've been having tons of issues simply trying to get a copy of the heightmap over to its own .esp file so I can start building.

I've tried opening up the Tamriel worldspace heightmap in the heightmap editor in CS, exporting it as a heightmap, and opening my mod's .esp and importing those .RAW files. Initially, it looked like it worked perfectly. It did, except for this small but disastrous problem:

(For some reason, I'm not allowed to post non-UESP links. I need to show this image in order to help people understand what I'm talking about)

puu .sh/hOWwx/f117fafc57.jpg

The 0,0 wilderness cell, for some odd reason, is torn from its neighboring cells and floats above the ground. I've tried fixing this manually by opening up the heightmap editor, going to cell 0,0 and slightly "smudging" it with the smudge tool (tool with the picture of the finger). Upon opening the 0,0 cell in the render window after editing the heightmap, the cell appears to fit normally in between the others as it should.

When I go to save my updated .esp file, the CS notifies me with this error:

"Error saving land height Data for cell (0,0). Error correction attempted.
Continue Playing?
"Yes to all" will disable all Warnings this session."

Then, when I go to the cell in-game, it's still floating as it was before. I'm not sure how to fix this heightmap or if it's even possible to fix this tear. I don't even know why this tear is even there in the first place, as the heightmap looks fine in the heightmap editor.

So I guess this is why people use TESAnnwyn. Problem is, I have no clue how to appropriately export a heightmap in a grayscale .bmp file. I don't want to scale the heightmap up or down, or modify it in any other way. I just want to be able to export the default Tamriel heightmap in a full grayscale .bmp file.

Can anyone who has experience with TESAnnwyn help me out? What values should I use in the command line when attempting to generate a .bmp image from Oblivion's heightmap?

Re: CS Help: Heightmap Tear/How to use TESAnnwyn

Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:24 pm

Moved to appropriate sub-forum

Re: CS Help: Heightmap Tear/How to use TESAnnwyn

Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:39 pm

I suggest asking Lightwave directly, or at least asking on a forum or site that has information specifically about TESAnnwyn.

I suspect that your best bet may be to track down what's causing this error and "correction" that the CS is telling you about in the first place. Sorry I can't actually answer your question though.
Post a reply