UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Emperor's Courier Quest bug help - location shows BLANK
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:53 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Morrowind and newer but now DF
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 0
Hi, I've scoured the web trying to find anyone having this similar issue but cannot find anything

For the quest, Emperor's Courier, when I speak with Mynisera she tells me to meet another character in the knights of the dragon order to find the courier that gave the letter to Queen Aubk-i instead of to Mynisera. Well in the quest dialogue after selecting YES and accepting the quest she says I'm to meet Agrynak Hearthford but it says, in the dialogue, he can be found in BLANK of BLANK and when I go to my quest log it says:

"Mynisera, Queen Mother to Gothryd, has asked me to investigate why a letter from the emperor addressed to her ended up in the hand of Queen Aubk-i. The emperor's messenger, Ysanna Buckington, can only be reached through Agrynak Hearthford of BLANK. Both are members of the Knights of the Dragon. She has given me a signet ring to prove my trustworthiness to them."

BLANK?? And of course I can't just skip it because its a MAIN quest.

I tried the FIXSAVE but that just ended up making my game crash back to cmd prompt when trying to load the save.

I, also, installed the DFQFIX patch before running into this issue because I thought I was running into a bug with the King of the Worms quest to collect the lich's soul in the Sentinel dungeon.

I'm running DF classic because all I have is a chromebook so when installing patches, fixes, and the like, I pretty much have to do everything thru DOS commands and CLI because when I try to copy the contents of a zip file that is suppose to overwrite current game files thru using the directory gui (like you would in windows) it just automatically creates duplicates of said files but adds a "(1)" in the name and doesn't prompt for an overwrite command.

Anyways, has anyone run into this BLANK quest location problem before? Please advise...

Thanks in advance!

Rick

Post subject: Re: Emperor's Courier Quest bug help - location shows BLANK
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:59 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Morrowind and newer but now DF
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 0
Just to follow up, I've figured out that it was the DFQFIX itself causing this problem. I'm unsure if its because I transferred the files incorrectly or its something to do with the fix but I just ended up reinstalling the game and skipping that "update" and, when I reloaded my save, she gave a specific location so, yeah. I suppose this can be removed from the board honestly.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:44 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, Mac, iPad
Other Profiles: SeaGtGruff (Steam), TinklyGosling47 (Xbox)
UESPoints: 20
I would say keep it so anyone encountering a similar issue will know what to do. I'm glad you were able to figure out the solution.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:22 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

UESPoints: 1
rick777 wrote:
Just to follow up, I've figured out that it was the DFQFIX itself causing this problem.

Daggerfall is known to sometimes produce errors with BLANK locations and items, so I wouldn't be so sure that this is caused specifically by DFQFIX. In fact, that particular patch fixes a lot of problems with quests, but, if I'm not mistaken, the BLANK error is related to how the game picks random locations for quest characters and items, which is not something you can remedy with editing quest files. So when you reloaded your saved game, it just randomly chose another location for the quest, which did not produce an error.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:07 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, Mac, iPad
Other Profiles: SeaGtGruff (Steam), TinklyGosling47 (Xbox)
UESPoints: 20
The temple quests where you must go find a brother who drank too much and ran off, bop him on the head, and carry him back to the temple used to work flawlessly for me, but now whenever I bop him on the head I get an error in his dialog: "Ow, BAD DAGTEXT SOMETHING-OR-OTHER, that was my head!" I'm not sure if it's a problem with the value the game is trying to look up (which has a period followed by a comma, like "NUMBER.,"), or if the data being looked up isn't there, or if it's some kind of memory corruption or overflow error. It doesn't prevent me from completing the quest, but it does make me wonder if it's a symptom of a larger problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:24 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

SeaGtGruff wrote:
The temple quests where you must go find a brother who drank too much and ran off, bop him on the head, and carry him back to the temple used to work flawlessly for me, but now whenever I bop him on the head I get an error in his dialog: "Ow, BAD DAGTEXT SOMETHING-OR-OTHER, that was my head!" I'm not sure if it's a problem with the value the game is trying to look up (which has a period followed by a comma, like "NUMBER.,"), or if the data being looked up isn't there, or if it's some kind of memory corruption or overflow error. It doesn't prevent me from completing the quest, but it does make me wonder if it's a symptom of a larger problem.

I can tell you this, I've got the latest version of DFQFIX installed along with some other fixes, and I've played multiple characters recently to test my paperdoll fixes and got this one several times, and only once I had this BADTEXT thing (it was obviously supposed to be a random swearing). On the other hand, there were two times when the game used incorrect pronouns to refer to the quest character, while obviously using the name of the opposite gender (and the character appearance also matched that gender). I haven't tested this more thoroughly though, but I don't think this ever happened before.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:43 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

SeaGtGruff wrote:
The temple quests where you must go find a brother who drank too much and ran off, bop him on the head, and carry him back to the temple used to work flawlessly for me, but now whenever I bop him on the head I get an error in his dialog: "Ow, BAD DAGTEXT SOMETHING-OR-OTHER, that was my head!"

I had this quest again recently and again it mixed up the cleric's gender: gave him/her a male Breton name and portrait when I picked "them" up, but the quest giver referred to the cleric as "her" and the character I found in the dungeon was also female.

However, I checked both the DFQFIX page and my installation, and it appears that this quest never received any fan-made fixes, or even any patches from Bethesda. Perhaps it can be fixed with the user-made quest editing tools.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:47 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

SeaGtGruff wrote:
I'm not sure if it's a problem with the value the game is trying to look up (which has a period followed by a comma, like "NUMBER.,"), or if the data being looked up isn't there, or if it's some kind of memory corruption or overflow error.

I've decompiled this quest with Donald Tipton's TEMPLATE tool, and there seems to be no errors in the scripts which could be causing either this or the priest's gender mismatch.

From what I gather, the game's handling of random oaths is very wonky, sometimes these end up, at least partially, in SAVENAME.TXT for some reason. There seems to be a reason to generate oaths and store them somewhere are these depend on region and major population's race IIRC. Looks like sometimes the game just cannot properly retrieve the oath and display it.

For a test, I recompiled the quest with TEMPLATE, but changed the priest's location from a dungeon to a random residence in the same town. I took it several times and had no issues with the oath (although perhaps a more thorough testing would reveal errors sooner or later), and at all times it would generate a female Monk with a male Breton name (this is all happening in Wayrest). I suspect that this might be somehow related to my test character being a female Breton herself -- I remember getting males with different characters. There is no way to set a human enemy's gender in quest scripts, although the quest offering text seems to suggest that the priest was intended to be male always. There is equally no explanation why a female would show a male portrait when picked up, again this is probably caused by some faulty game engine logic and not fixable by editing the quest itself.