UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Redguard on Windows 8?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:12 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: xbox, xbox 360, PC
UESPoints: 0
I am unsure where to start, I have looked everywhere, but have found a myriad of confusing and contradicting information around the web. On top of that, not one of them was Windows 8 based.

I will try and give as much information as possible, so here it goes. I want to play my cd copy of Redguard on my Windows 8, with sound, and, if possible, the 3DFX option, but I'm alright with choosing xgine if that is the only way, or way less time-consuming to set up. If there are any applications I must get, that's alright with me. And, if it will be less trouble for me to go into my attic and get one of the two old PCs I have seen and attempt to install it on one of them, rather than on this Windows 8, I will do so.

This is my first post on UESP forums, but I have been visiting the main site for years, thank you for the help! :D

Post subject: Re: Redguard on Windows 8?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:20 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: Steam: SkoomaCat
If you have a functioning dos/win 95/win 98 pc it may be easier just to pull one of those out and use it. Apparently there's an issue with running redguard through dosbox in particular due to the way it emulates the older processors. You may get the game running, but you'll eventually run into issues. You can learn more about that here if you're interested.

It also says that you might get it running under Glidos, (you can find it via google, but they do have specific redguard install instructions). That only goes through win xp, so it's probably not guaranteed to work for windows 8. You could try Glidos at least if you want, but you may end up having to pull out on of your old computers anyway.

One last option may be to try running a copy of Win 95/98 through a virtual computer. I'm not sure if that would end up emulating the older processors any differently than dosbox would, but it may be worth a shot if you want to try experimenting with it.

Post subject: Re: Redguard on Windows 8?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:27 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, Morrowind Collector's Edition, Stormhold, Dawnstar, Shadowkey, Oblivion Collector's Edition, Skyrim Collector's Edition, Elder Scrolls Online Collector's Edition
Platform: PC, N-Gage, Mobile Phone, PS3, X-Box
This method of installing lets you play to completion flawlessly http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Elder_ ... _in_DOSBox