UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Newbie needs help with Morrowind based character
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:00 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 0
Hi. I'm just downloading the base game + Morrowind. I get my fun from my character's story, and from exploring and collecting materials (especially alchemical ones) , so my build only needs to be survivable in single player, not necessarily optimised for dungeons etc. I would like her to be born or bred in Morrowind.
Is there a Class that alchemy complements particularly?

The Warden class seems quite appealing to me, but I can't fit my head around it as a Morrowind resident. If I have a dunmer, which I prefer, I suppose she could be a an Ashlander, ie worshipper of the Three good daedra and Ancestors, with a Shamanist calling.
Or a lost Skaal who somehow wants to help prevent Vivec being squashed?? (Maybe more likely than an Ashlander wanting Vivec not to be squashed!!)

Another idea I'm partial too is a Pilgrim of the Temple. (Were Lives of the Saints and the Seven Graces written then?) Which Class would suit that best?

Post subject: Re: Newbie needs help with Morrowind based character
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:56 am 
Initiate
Initiate

I think I will make a magicka sorcerer, following the preset Initiate. It seems to be one of the classes recommended for newbie soloist and hopefully she will be able to make her Pilgrimage around Vardenfell.

Now, I don't think she will be an ardent Temple supporter, still devout but tainted by some Ashlander blood. Maybe her great grandmother, when young and silly was seduced by a travelling trader. Her baby was accepted by the Clan, but always had a vagrant streak in her which led her back eventually to her father's House. My PC herself was born and bred in Gnisis, but she listened to her mothers stories passed down of clan, Ancestors and Good and Bad Daedra, though she herself became drawn to the nearby Temple and, "believes" in the Tribunal, and certainly follows the moral teachings of the Three. She will be more flexible
Rayna Seran may be her name.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:14 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: All of them!
UESPoints: 5
Hey there! Hope the Second Era is treating you well!

The game now has the build advisor, as you saw. It isn't a bad way to explore skills and ideas as you're getting into the game. You will get items - and can even pay gold - to revisit attribute points, skills, and morphs of abilities later, so you don't have to worry too much about being unable to change anything. The only thing you cannot change is your class or alliance. :)

Dunmer magicka sorcerers are a great class. The Dunmer racial passives compliment magicka builds well. Thankfully you don't need too much to survive solo on your own. My only advice would be to remember to have food available to eat (it boosts your stats!), and to explore having gear pieces that are in the same set. You get a bonus per number of items, and wearing 5 pieces in the same set gives you a big bonus that varies. Morrowind has some nice in-game ones that would be pretty good for a beginner.

Have fun! If you have any questions, come back and ask them!

Also, I love the character name! :heart:

Edit: Forgot to mention. The craft skills, like alchemy, do not impact classes. They are separate lines that can be used by anyone of any class, if you invest time into them. You do get nice passives the higher you go that make them more worthwhile, like longer duration toward potions and foods and such. That alone is worth checking out! Crafting is a huge in game dedication, though. It takes many months to be a master crafter. But don't let that scare you away! Pick up what you want in the beginning and explore the rest as you get more comfortable.

"[...] for the lives of gods are not what mortals think and matters that weigh only years to mortals weigh on gods forever."
The Tribunal Temple, Nerevar at Red Mountain

Find the S'wit:
ESO PC-NA: @Avron | Legends: nosoundcomes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:00 am 
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks. I always like collecting plants and miss alchemy when I don't have it. And long live the summoned!
Tell me, when I wield a restoration staff (the only one I've got so far) facing a hostile, and click my mouse, does it damage them?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:07 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: All of them!
UESPoints: 5
Yes, your restoration staff will damage an enemy.

When you get to level 15 you can dual wield, and have a backbar. Many healers run a destruction staff backbar, so we can also do damage on the fly. At least to get out of there. :)

"[...] for the lives of gods are not what mortals think and matters that weigh only years to mortals weigh on gods forever."
The Tribunal Temple, Nerevar at Red Mountain

Find the S'wit:
ESO PC-NA: @Avron | Legends: nosoundcomes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:19 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, Mac, iPad
Other Profiles: SeaGtGruff (Steam), TinklyGosling47 (Xbox)
UESPoints: 20
If I understand your question, yes, a Restoration staff can do damage to an opponent, partly by itself and also according to any enchantment that's on it, such as frost damage or flame damage. But with staffs I think you have to keep the button pressed to maintain the attack; and as soon as your Magicka is depleted you need to release the button and let your Magicka level replenish itself. I don't use staffs myself-- I tried it once, on my main character that primarily fights with a two-handed sword, but I didn't stick with it because I didn't have any perks yet and wanted to spend my Skill Points on other things-- like Crafting. :)

Despite wearing heavy armor and fighting with a two-handed sword, my main character is actually a Sorcerer (go figure), and I can summon a Clannfear, Nightwing Matriarch, and Storm Atronach if I need to. The Clannfear in particular is handy in a fight, because I can call on him to heal me. The Nightwing Matriarch is supposed to do that, as well, but I find that it doesn't work as well as with the Clannfear.

Anyway, I always dismiss my summoned Daedra and non-combat pets when I'm not actively using them, because I find that they get in the way of being able to interact with people and objects. I wish other players would dismiss theirs, too, although I don't complain to them. But nothing is more aggravating than trying to interact with a banker or merchant, or use a barrel or crate or bag or treasure chest, and have somebody's Clannfear or Nightwing or Bear in the way!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:54 am 
Initiate
Initiate

Good point about the summons. I've looked up how to dismiss it, so from now on I won't be taking a clannfear into the Temple.
I have a destruction spell, and I now realise that there is no cooldown of spells, which means I can attack with my lightening, and block with the staff, until my M runs dry. The resto staff skills look quite interesting for their buffs, I will consider putting points into it, rather than using Dark Magic spells, as it fits with my character. In the short term, I only have to please myself.