A place for discussions and questions specifically about the UESP Wiki.
Post a reply

Re: Give Us Article Ideas!

Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:28 pm

I'm giving it a look, but the issue is that Arena is just old at this point. Most people don't have the patience to play it, and those who do would prefer to play Daggerfall.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:33 pm

University now has a page.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:45 pm

AKB wrote:I'm giving it a look, but the issue is that Arena is just old at this point. Most people don't have the patience to play it, and those who do would prefer to play Daggerfall.

Still, the place names and their locations, even if they have absolutely no lore tied to their name, retain some relevance to the modern games. And the TES Wiki (as much as it can be trusted) has already done all the hard work for us. The main issue, I think, is implementation. The best solution I can think of is an interactive Arena map, where people can mouse over various locations to learn the name. Individual articles for all the minor settlements of Arena is a bit of a bloated response, I suppose.

Also, I wonder if anything can be done about thisImage
I recently "translated" this official map by going over the loading screens from Redguard and from an analysis (performed by Lady Nerevar from TIL) of the game's boxart, so it should be pretty close to accurate. As can be seen, many of Arena's locations are included, although many have seen name changes. Are these name changes retcons of Arena's locations? Or are the retconned retcons (Drangstor?)? Perhaps we should just consider them as alternative names for these places?

As a whole, I don't see much we can do with it, but maybe UESP could benefit from a Geographical Dictionary/Index that mentions all known places mentioned in TES lore. As daunting as a task as that might seem.

Speaking of Redguard loading screens, I have a lot of those (though not all). Maybe we want to upload those somewhere?

legoless wrote:University now has a page

Thanks. And well done.
Last edited by Fiore1300 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:05 pm

Any Redguard images you have would be a great benefit to the site. You can upload files here after you register. If you're knowledgeable about the game, we have a project which aims to bring the older games up to current site standards.

As for the Redguard map, listing them as alternate names on the lore pages is probably the best way to go about it. Not sure the best way to list the locations that don't have pages.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:29 pm

Fiore1300 wrote:
AKB wrote:I'm giving it a look, but the issue is that Arena is just old at this point. Most people don't have the patience to play it, and those who do would prefer to play Daggerfall.

Still, the place names and their locations, even if they have absolutely no lore tied to their name, retain some relevance to the modern games. And the TES Wiki (as much as it can be trusted) has already done all the hard work for us. The main issue, I think, is implementation. The best solution I can think of is an interactive Arena map, where people can mouse over various locations to learn the name. Individual articles for all the minor settlements of Arena is a bit of a bloated response, I suppose.

Well, creating the places is easy enough. It's finding anything to write about them. Locations in Arena are randomly generated, so there are very few things you can actually write about them. I am going to create place pages for them, but only to clear the site of all those red links, and to test out place organization for ESO.

As a note, we never copy from other wikis. Under no circumstances should we ever do this.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:24 am

AKB wrote:Well, creating the places is easy enough. It's finding anything to write about them. Locations in Arena are randomly generated, so there are very few things you can actually write about them. I am going to create place pages for them, but only to clear the site of all those red links, and to test out place organization for ESO.

Sorry, that is the issue I meant to address. That is, how to best present the information when there was too little information to warrant an article.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:10 pm

Fiore1300 wrote:Sorry, that is the issue I meant to address. That is, how to best present the information when there was too little information to warrant an article.

I would assume in the notes section of another article whose content encompasses the content in question. For instance, you can mention "Lumut" in the Yokuda article notes as being a possible settlement in Yokuda. Other places with little lore can be placed accordingly as well. I wouldn't personally even add them to a list in the main article unless they're mentioned otherwise in lore. The notes section would suffice.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:48 pm

What's the status with the paper maps that were released with the ES Anthology? Can we legally scan those and upload them here?

Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:41 pm

Fiore1300 wrote:What's the status with the paper maps that were released with the ES Anthology? Can we legally scan those and upload them here?

That's what we've done in the past, yeah. Copyright is a little hazy, but Bethesda has never complained before.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:30 pm

We're getting dangerously close to breaking 20k articles. With less than 200 to go, I thought I'd revisit this thread originally intended to help us make it there. Does anyone have suggestions specifically for article #20k. I think it would be appropriate for it to be a bit special, all things considered.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:25 pm

A very detailed look at the history of The Elder Scrolls. From the original concept of Arena to the open world RPG that it is today.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:51 pm

How about a section devoted to modding?

Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:58 pm

Thuro wrote:How about a section devoted to modding?

The Tes3Mod, Tes4Mod and Tes5Mod namespaces are devoted to mods and modding.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:59 am

Thelastdovah wrote:A very detailed look at the history of The Elder Scrolls. From the original concept of Arena to the open world RPG that it is today.

On that note, I doubt if there's enough information floating around on the web for full articles, but I think some note about TES II: Mournhold and TES III: Tribunal would be a nifty addition.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:17 pm

Might be worth having a page anyway, since we have one for the cancelled PSP game.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:52 am

Reposting this here if it is OK With the mods...

Ok, an idea:

Discrepancies within the series. This one might be a bit difficult due to the 'semi-reboot' of the series that took Place With the releases of Morrowind and Redguard, so it might be best to Count only discrepancies from these games forward? Examples might be the hugely conflicting depiction of the Imperial City in the Pocket Guide to the Empire's 1st Edition (kind of an 'Asian Venice') and how it was shown in Oblivion (pretty much just a larger Version of Tribunal's Mournhold, but With roughly the same layout), or how Redguards were changed from being more modelled on caribbean Islanders/African Americans in Redguard, Morrowind and Oblivion, to being more modelled on Tuaregs/Bedouins/North Africans in Skyrim (and TES: Online).

Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:45 pm

Hey AngryNord, we have an article much like this here. But this focuses on the differences between things that affect gameplay (skills and guilds for example) and it could be possible to add on to that article. The problem is that information you are proposing to add will all need proper referencing like in Lore. The problem is that this would be a major page to write due to the amount of information gathering involved (and I have no personal interest in doing so) that most editors wouldn't want to get involved and those that do write such large pages often have their own ''To-Do lists''.

If you are interested in writing such an article and require help, there are a series of Help pages available for you to read, in addition you may ask any of our Mentors for editing help.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:07 pm

OK, another idea:

-Fan-made (or official, if such a thing exists?) mods/add-ons to other games that feature Elder Scrolls themes/lore (such as the Elder Kings mod for Crusader Kings II)

Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:39 pm

AngryNord wrote:OK, another idea:

-Fan-made (or official, if such a thing exists?) mods/add-ons to other games that feature Elder Scrolls themes/lore (such as the Elder Kings mod for Crusader Kings II)

Goes against principal.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:28 pm

Let me say preemptively that I'm planning to begin work on an article for the Towers. Several ESO books relate to the towers, and we're past due to have an article on them anyways.

Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:16 am

I'm new here, so forgive me if this has been suggested before. I have noticed many interesting locations and quests that are easily missed or never marked on the map (excluding easter eggs). From what I understand, this is also true of pre-skyrim releases. A page on unmarked or easily missed locations and quests would be a great edition to the wiki in my opinion. There is a list of all quests, marked locations, and unmarked locations, but they tend to run together while looking for gems hidden in the monotony. A page on Easily Missed Must Sees of [insert title] would fix that. For Skyrim, a few examples could be that lighthouse (you know the one), Bard's Leap (for the non-word thing), The Straw that Broke (short, but sweet), and maybe Sleeping Tree Camp and the cave. There are a lot of other including non-marked ones. These are just off the top of my head.

Edit: No sure where this would go, but this seemed like an okay place to suggest this.
A helpful edit the existing Skyrim marriage chart would be rather or not the person could accept the gift (without console commands) and the voice used for marriage dialogue. The gift for obvious reason and voice type (or actor if that's easier) to help us keep from choosing a spouse that will make us want to rip our own arm off and beat them with it.

Is there a note on child's love and mother/father's comfort compatability?

Also, a note on rather or not spouses will report/call guards on illegal actions after marriage would be nice. I read somewhere that this can happen. If it varries, does it depend on morality, agression, faction, home location, or is it due to a random oversite on an npc or two? I would hate to get fined from stealing stuff in my own house. If it is true, I've been lucky so far. If not, it would still be a good adition to the page to state that they will not report you after marriage.

Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:47 am

There is an article on Unmarked Places currently on the Wiki, was that the sort of thing you were referring to? The same exists for other games.

Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:47 am

I've seen it. It's extensive and covers them all which is good in a way. But much like looking at a road map dotted with attractions, they van run together. What I'm suggesting is something like a traveler's guide which hilights must see attractions hidden in the clutter. This list would contain easily overlooked locations (both marked and unmarked) and quests that are the "must sees" of their respective game excliding easter eggs which already have a page. A thread could be started here for suggestions and examples of short relitively spoiler free discriptions (ie, minor spoilers provided only when absolutly necessary to find the area or start the quest) plus location. For example, A Night To Remember is a fun quest that is not easily forgotten. However, look at the quest trigger. Unless you have read about the quest or insist on doing every single little miscellaneous quest that come up (like me), you're likely to miss it. So why wouldn't an adventurer want to just look up the quest itself? Simple. The quest page contains major spoilers which ruin the surprise associated with first enountering this gem. The travel guide fixes that by removing detail.

Example...
Quest Title: Participate in a Drinking Contest with Sam Guenvere
Quest Trigger: Accept Sam's challenge to a drinking game.
Discription: Things go terribly wrong after having a few too many drinks with Sam.

This could also work for non-quests.
Example
Discription: Can you survive the plunge? Take the leap if you dare!

This would be a must see page for new gamers. It would also be high traffic when a new one is created after a game's release and/or EPs. The page could either be divided into 4 sections or (if the page will be two long) linked to 4 sub-catagories. The catagories would be Long Quests (those that require multiple locations to be visited or that take more than a few minutes to complete), Short Quests (usually under miscellaneous and taking only a few minutes or involves collecting general items), marked locations (must see locations with no quest or a generic quest that doesn't relate to the attraction), and unmarked locations (same as previous only unmarked). Again, this list is not for every possible quest and location, but those that are reccominded by experenced players.

On a side note, I wish there was a quest page which specifically listed quests, actions, and items that result in a free skill boost rather than only being listed on the respective skill's page (resulting in a lot of repetes I might add). However, just because I think it would be a nice edition with relatively little legwork (simple copy and paste from the respective pages, a title, an intro stating what it is and a hot link to it on acplicable pages) when compaired to the work required to get an average page up and running, it is not 100% necessary and is more for a reduction in steps necessary to find all pertinant information and reduce the paper and ink used by those wishing to print it or the save space needed to copy and paste it in a document on a computer or cell phone for offline or quick search use.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:52 am

ADK: In the forum IRC channel on Xertion, I mentioned that I just found out that Dervenin, the Bosmer beggar wandering the streets of Solitude near the Bard's College, is the same Dervenin from the Shivering Isles. In the Shivering Isles he is a priest in the Sacellum of Arden-Sul. Alarra then linked me to ADK's Sandbox page that lists all TES characters from previous TES games who are referenced to or who appear in later games.

Here is the Sandbox page: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/User:Alpha_Kenny_Buddy/Sandbox6#Multiple_Appearances

I think this is a worthwhile endeavor. Each character on that page could have its own subsection that explains their relation to the TES games in which they appear or in which they are referenced. I have the following suggestions for such a page:
- That the page not include Aedric and Daedric gods, since their existence is assumed in each game.
- That the page include distant relatives from previous games who may be directly or indirectly referenced by characters in later games. For example, Romlyn Dreth (from Riften) and Valen Dreth (from Imperial City Prison). I also suspect a relation between Amaund Motierre (the man who hires the Dark Brotherhood to assassinate the Emperor in TES V: Skyrim) and Francois Motierre (the man who hires the Dark Brotherhood to stage his assassination in front of a debt collector thug), but I'm not certain if there is a relation or if the names are a coincidence. Or perhaps even a separate page devoted specifically to family relations among characters in the series.

I enjoy learning these little trivia facts about characters in TES games, and I suspect I'm not the only one. :)

Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:14 am

^ I love this idea, recurring characters or relatives of such make me giddy.
Post a reply