Tes5Mod:Mod File Format/MGEF
The UESPWiki – Your source for The Elder Scrolls since 1995
MGEF records hold information about magical effects which are used in spells, enchantments and potions.
||formID||The type of record here depends on the EffectType (see below).|
||int32||Usually a base magic skill ActorValue (index) or -1|
||uint32||Resistance skill index (generally 39-45) ActorValue (index) or -1|
||uint32||Mask of 0xffff0000 (lower 2 bytes always 0)|
||float||Somehow controls the tapering of the spell over time, 0-1 typically|
||uint32||Required Skill level (0, 25, 50, 75, 100)|
||uint32||0 for none|
||float||probably default if not provided, normal range 0.5-3|
||float||Somehow affects the tapering of spell duration, 0-2 typically|
||float||Controls how fast the duration tapers off presumably, 0-5 typically|
||float||Only valid if SecondAV is set, typical values of 0-2|
||uint32||The basic type of effect to apply (0-44). See below for effect type details.|
||int32||ActorValue (index) or -1. Vast majority are 24 (direct health)|
||int32||Secondary ActorValue (index) or -1 (usually only shock/frost have this)|
||formID||Hand effects ARTO|
||formID||Impact effects ARTO (eg ward getting hit)|
||formID||Impact data IPDS of projectiles|
||float||Unknown exact purpose, values of 0, 50, 9999, 100000, 1000000|
||float||Unknown exact purpose, values of 0, 60, 10000, 600000|
|-||DNAM||Description||lstring||Effect description, e.g.: "Health regenerates <mag>% slower."|
|+||EDID||EditorID||zstring||Max 0x200 bytes, including null terminator.|
|?||ESCE||CounterEffects||formid||Contain a magic effect formid that presumably counters the effects of the current one. Can occur zero or more times.|
|-||MDOB||static||formID||Menu Display Object|
|?||SNDD||soundData||struct[0 to 5]
||Array of structs, max 6 items. Sound types include:
 Effect Types
The following are the valid effect types for each magic effect and their associated data:
- 0 = Value Mod: PrimaryAV selects which actor value to modify
- 1 = Script: No Extra data?
- 2 = Dispel: No extra data?
- 3 = Cure Disease: No extra data?
- 4 = Absorb: PrimaryAV selects which actor value to absorb
- 5 = Dual Value Mod: PrimaryAV and SecondAV select which actor value to modify along with SecondAVWeight
- 6 = Calm: PrimaryAV is forced to be "Aggression"
- 7 = Demoralize: PrimaryAV is forced to be "Confidence"
- 8 = Frenzy: PrimaryAV is forced to be "Aggression"
- 9 = Disarm: No extra data?
- 10 = Command Summoned: No extra data?
- 11 = Invisibility: PrimaryAV is forced to be "Invisibility"
- 12 = Light: RelatedID is the light formid
- 15 = Lock: No extra data?
- 16 = Open: No extra data?
- 17 = Bound Weapon: RelatedID is the weapon to summon
- 18 = Summon Creature: RelatedID is the NPC to spawn (must have the summonable flag set)
- 19 = Detect Life: No extra data?
- 20 = Telekinesis: No extra data?
- 21 = Paralysis: PrimaryAV is forced to be "Paralysis "
- 22 = Reanimate: No extra data?
- 23 = Soul Trap: No extra data?
- 24 = Turn Undead: PrimaryAV is forced to be "Confidence"
- 25 = Guide: RelatedID is a hazard, used only by Clairvoyance
- 26 = Werewolf Feed: No extra data?
- 27 = Cure Paralysis: No extra data?
- 28 = Cure Addiction: No extra data?
- 29 = Cure Poison: No extra data?
- 30 = Concussion: No extra data?
- 31 = Value and Parts: PrimaryAV is used, not used in game
- 32 = Accumulate Magnitude: PrimaryAV, used by Ward Steadfast/Lesser/Greater
- 33 = Stagger: No extra data?
- 34 = Peak Value Mod: PrimaryAV and SecondAV select which actor value to modify, note that SecondAVWeight is not used
- 35 = Cloak: RelatedID is a spell (only some spells supported, either/both hand?)
- 36 = Werewolf: RelatedID is a race
- 37 = Slow Time: No extra data?
- 38 = Rally: PrimaryAV is forced to be "Confidence"
- 39 = Enchance Weapon: RelatedID is an enchantment
- 40 = Spawn Hazard: RelatedID is a hazard
- 41 = Etherealize: No extra data?
- 42 = Banish: PrimaryAV is forced to be "Confidence"
- 43 = Spawn Scripted Ref: No extra data?, used by ThrowVoice
- 44 = Disguise: No extra data?
- Changing BaseCost is frustratingly ineffective (tried: Armor, WardConcSelfXX, [Fire|Frost|Shock]DamageConcAimed). At the same time, SPEL cost scales with magnitude (so it isn't no-Autocalc), and changing the EFID on the costly effect (negation of Lesser Ward) reduced cost to 0... So the cost must flow from the MGEF. Very frustrating. --Phezzan 16:15, 12 December 2011 (UTC)
- Minimum Record
- DNAM (empty string)
- Subrecord Order