|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
|This article could benefit from an image.
See Help:Images for information on how to upload images. Please remove this template from the page when finished.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Enter Mistwatch and deal with the bandits outside.
- Drop the drawbridge and enter Mistwatch North Tower.
- Speak to Christer and agree to help him find his kidnapped wife.
- Proceed through the tower to the Mistwatch Lower Balcony.
- Enter the Mistwatch West Tower.
- Proceed through the tower to the Mistwatch Upper Balcony.
- Enter the Mistwatch East Tower.
- Deal with the bandit leader.
- Return to Christer.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 North Mistwatch Tower
The quest itself begins when you talk to Christer in Mistwatch North Tower. He'll mention that his wife Fjola is missing and he thinks that she is here. The Mistwatch bandits started kidnapping and ransoming people about the time his wife disappeared. He has managed to sneak in past the initial guards in the courtyard, but can't make it any further. His story seems really fishy as he's never been contacted by the bandits despite their ransom motives. He also happens to have the key that is needed to unlock the gate. To do the quest, accept his request to search the towers for Fjola. Past the locked door will be two leveled bandits and the ladder exit to the lower balcony.
 West Mistwatch Tower
The West Mistwatch Tower has four leveled bandits in it and they can quickly link. Deal with them and proceed on. A dead Imperial is in a cell, but that isn't Fjola. A note on the table next to the cell provides a slight insight. Exit the door to the upper balcony.
 East Mistwatch Tower
The East Mistwatch Tower is through the upper balcony. Unlocking its door requires the Mistwatch Key given to you by Christer. Inside is a single room and only one person — the leader of the bandits. Instead of attacking, she will start talking to you, revealing that she is in fact Fjola. She was never kidnapped and the kidnappings only started happening after she disappeared because they were her idea. She will explain that she couldn't take her life anymore and quickly joined and whipped these bandits into shape when she returned to Skyrim. She still holds some sort of love for Christer and doesn't want him harmed, but needs for him to go away. At this point you have two options:
 Kill the Bandit Leader
One choice is to kill Fjola. You don't even have to hear Fjola's story, outright attacking her is an option leaving the only hint of her true identity with her wedding band that is found on her corpse. At this point you need to return to Christer and tell him the bad news. Your only option is to tell him you killed Fjola because she attacked you. He will become enraged and attack you.
 Trick Christer into Leaving
Another choice is to agree to lie to Christer and get him to leave. Fjola gives you her wedding band as proof to present to Christer and tells you to keep it once he has left. You can tell Christer either that Fjola is dead or you only found her ring. Either way he is relieved, gives the ring back to you as reward, and takes off to start living again.
The quest is only complete once you tell Fjola that you have convinced Christer to leave — which only requires going a short distance up the stairs, because Fjola has followed you down into North Mistwatch Tower. She'll promise to return the favor one day in the future and the quest will end (including marking Mistwatch as cleared on your map). You can also still choose to kill Fjola at this point, which will also finish the quest.
- If Christer dies at any point before the quest is completed, it becomes impossible to finish the quest.
- If you drop down onto the roof of Mistwatch from the mountains at the rear, and work down through the towers instead of up, you cannot open the final door before reaching Christer, because the Mistwatch key can only be obtained from Christer. To proceed, you will need to go back out through the trapdoor at the top of the North Tower, jump down, and re-enter the North Tower through the main door. With the key you will then be able to go back up and enter the East Mistwatch Tower to complete the quest.
- If you drop down onto Mistwatch from the mountains after receiving the quest and Mistwatch key from Christer, you can directly enter the East Tower without fighting any more Mistwatch bandits. If you then tell Fjola that you will convince her husband to leave, the Mistwatch bandits will subsequently not attack you, leaving you free to explore the towers.
- A copy of the Heavy Armor skill book Hallgerd's Tale can be found on a dresser in Fjola's sleeping quarters, located just beyond where she approaches you in the east tower.
- It is possible to stop the kidnappings without killing Christer. If you kill Fjola, you will be forced to admit it to Christer and render him hostile, but if you cast a Calm spell on him after he attacks you, you can talk to him again, and all three dialogue options (admitting you killed her, claiming you found her dead, or denying that you found her at all) will be available. If you lie to him, he will forget your earlier conversation, and he will not become hostile after the spell wears off.
- If you kill Fjola after talking to her and obtaining her wedding band, then talk to her husband, the game will then update the quest to talk to Fjola again. However, since Fjola is dead, you cannot talk to her, and therefore can no longer complete the miscellaneous quest.
- If you choose to tell Christer that you did not find Fjola, her corpse might spawn in the first hall left of Christer. The quest is then impossible to complete.
- The developers didn't script for when, in the event, you decide to kill Christer. Upon killing him, the quest will complete, but if you return to Fjola, she will still say "I didn't expect to see you again. What became of my doting husband?".
 Quest Stages
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|11||(Objective is assigned): Search Mistwatch for Fjola|
|75||(Objective is assigned): Return to Christer|
|90||(Objective is assigned): Report back to Fjola|
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 5, 10, 70, 80, 89, 95