Skyrim:Tolfdir the Absent-Minded
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
 Detailed Walkthrough
This quest can only be started after Under Saarthal has been completed and if Tolfdir is located in the College of Winterhold. Therefore, it actually cannot be started until Tolfdir returns to the college late in Hitting the Books.
If you talk to Tolfdir, he will ask for the recovery of his missing alembic. The alembic will appear in one of three randomly-selected locations in the Hall of Countenance:
- On the top floor: in the northern room, on top of a barrel to the right of the central dining bench.
- On the top floor: underneath the left display case in the enchanting room.
- On the bottom floor: on a crate in the eastern room, with the big barrel in it.
Tolfdir compensates the player with 30 gold and an empty lesser or common soul gem. The quest can be repeated.
- Finding Tolfdir's Alembic before triggering the quest will not change the quest dialogue or outcome; you can simply start the quest and give the alembic to Tolfdir to receive your reward.
- Unlike other games where alembics are a major part of Alchemy (In Skyrim all alchemy equipment is permanently attached to alchemy stations), this is the only alembic item found in Skyrim.
 Quest Stages
|Tolfdir the Absent-Minded (MGR01)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|10||;player has accepted quest|