|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Obtain the scrolls from J'zargo.
- Use the scrolls to kill at least three undead enemies.
- Return to J'zargo with your results.
 Detailed Walkthrough
Talk to J'zargo after Under Saarthal. He will request your assistance testing a new kind of scroll he developed. Simply use them near undead enemies; you should have no trouble finding them in any barrow, ruin, or tomb; these include Bleak Falls Barrow, Saarthal, Whiterun's Hall of the Dead and Folgunthur, among many others. Undead may also be encountered in The Midden, allowing convenient completion of this quest without travel if the quest is accepted before venturing down there.
The scrolls will surround you with a modified flame cloak, which will damage any enemy in close proximity to you. J'zargo's cloak causes a massive explosion whenever it comes into contact with undead. Clearly, this makes the scrolls as harmful to yourself and your allies as to the undead. Damage seems to be around 100-110 health, so players with low reserves or who are already injured might be killed instantly. Also be wary of using this spell when dealing with multiple undead enemies, as multiple explosions can quickly kill even the hardiest of characters.
Another of J'zargo's oversights is that the cloak burns friendlies, too. Ask your follower to stay behind when you test the scrolls, otherwise they will become hostile to you or simply walk away—in the latter case, talking to him or her can restore your normal relationship.
Make sure you use the scrolls to kill only undead enemies. A quest marker will appear with each undead killed while under the effects of J'zargo's Flame Cloak. Undead do not need to be killed by the scrolls' damage; dying of other weapon or spell damage while under the effects of the scroll will satisfy the quest conditions. However, undead that are killed indirectly by the explosions of other undead do not count. If you use up all ten scrolls without killing three undead enemies, the quest will fail.
- The scrolls also work on undead that you have reanimated yourself.
- The scroll must actually damage the undead for the quest to register the kill, activating the scroll from a distance and killing the enemy by other means won't work.
- Activating a scroll near a Draugr sarcophagi will trigger the Draugr to come out. By sprinting past an undead or a Draugr in it's sarcophagi it is possible, if difficult and somewhat random, to kill the enemy with the explosion while avoiding damage to yourself.
- If more than exactly three undead are killed by the scrolls' effects, which is very possible you are near more than one at a time, e.g. fighting two undead with the counter already at two, then stage 30 will not occur; J'zargo won't have the dialogue option and the quest will be unfinishable.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.0 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- You cannot speak to J'zargo if the quest The Staff of Magnus is active.
 Quest Stages
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 10.
|This Skyrim-related article is a stub. You can help by .|