Skyrim:Out of Balance
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Travel to each of the focal points around the College of Winterhold.
- Activate them with the Mystic Tuning Gloves equipped.
- Return to Neloren.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 Fine Tuning
If you approach Drevis Neloren in the Hall of Countenance at the College of Winterhold, you are able to ask him if there is any College business that you can assist with. He will then say, "There may be a matter in which your... skills... could be useful. The various points of focus for magic energies around the College have become polluted, and need cleansing. The magical energies underneath the college still require purification. Your assistance would be most useful." Choosing to agree to help, Drevis will further elaborate on what has to be done: "Very well. These specially enchanted gloves will allow you to delve directly into the focal points for these energies. Go to each focal point and remove whatever impurities you may find there. Return the gloves to me when you have finished. Please exercise caution. This is not a procedure without possible... consequences." If you ask Drevis to repeat what has to be done, he will say, "Use the gloves to clear the focal points. Return to me when you have finished. I thought I made this rather clear."
There are three focal points around the College that need to be purified. In order to purify each one, you have to equip the mystic tuning gloves. The first focal point can be found within the Hall of Countenance. From there, head outside onto the main courtyard to find the second focal point in front of the statue. The third and last focal point is found within the Hall of Attainment.
Once all three focal points have been purified, return to Neloren. When you tell him that the focal points have been cleansed, he will respond "Yes, they have. I can feel the difference already. But of course, I'm far more in tune with these sorts of things than most. Thank you. I appreciate your assistance." Your reward for completion of each location is random soul gems and/or temporary Regenerate Magicka effects (see bugs section).
- Based on the game data, it appears that five points were originally intended, but only three were implemented in the final game. One of the additional points would have been a pillar at the base of the first ramp coming down from the college; the other one has no location assigned. In addition, one of the possible effects would have been to spawn a creature, however this is also unimplemented.
- You can usually cleanse a focal point twice by clicking the activate key/button repeatedly, for two rewards at each location.
- When cleansing the foci, either or both of two different bugged two-hour boosts to magicka regeneration may be placed on you. In your Active Effects list, they appear as "Fortify Magicka"; one with a nominal drain effect, the other with a nominal fortify effect. These boosts appear to stack. Some players have reported that they remain much longer than two hours.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.3.1 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- If you installed Dawnguard, you can use
dispelallspellsto dispel all active effects on you except enchanted equipment.
- The magicka regeneration may actually give you unlimited magicka for a time.
- It is possible to get Drevis to give you the quest more than once.
- A dragon attack on the College of Winterhold may disrupt this quest and not register the foci as cleansed. Simply kill the dragon and return to all focal points and reactivate as necessary.
 Quest Stages
|Out of Balance (MGR02)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
Objective 10: Cleanse the focal points for magical energies around the College
Objective 20: Return to Drevis Neloren
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0.
|This Skyrim-related article is a stub. You can help by .|