Cutting your own Lumber
I've noticed in various places that people have struggled to get lumber vendors to let you cut the wood for yourself for free (the line of dialogue runs something like 'I can't just give it away!'). I ran into the same problem with Thonnir of Morthal, until I noticed that I hadn't completed his related quest, Laid to Rest. Upon completing the quest, Thonnir became a friend and then I was allowed to cut the lumber for myself for free. I therefore assume that being able to cut lumber for free relies on your being friends with the lumber vendor. However I have only verified this with Thonnir as unfortunately my current character is already quite the social butterfly with the lumberjacks. Threepwood87 (talk) 01:37, 12 September 2012 (GMT)
- I can confirm, on my game, that Anja and Grosta (Heartwood Mill) also allow to saw the logs for free, and I am fully assuming that this is because I did their misc. mission beforehand. --18.104.22.168 16:45, 12 September 2012 (GMT)
- After installing Hearthfire I completed Aeri's (of Anga's Mill) letter delivery, and when speaking to her again, she does allow you to cut your own lumber for free. You get 10 sawn logs per cut, and it appears you can cut lumber indefinitely. 22.214.171.124 03:01, 17 September 2012 (GMT)
 Altering house expansions?
Is it possible to "demolish" a wing of a house and build a different type of wing in its place using the drafting table? The impression I've gotten is that once you build a house you can't change the layout like that, but I want to be sure before I decide how to finish my main Hearthfire house. 126.96.36.199 03:10, 17 September 2012 (GMT)
- From what I've seen so far, this is not possible. There are no options to undo or destroy anything you have already done. There doesn't seem to be any dialogue options from your steward to allow you to do this either. — ABCface◥ 12:59, 17 September 2012 (GMT)
 Balcony Walkway
- Same problem with storage + bedrooms here. 188.8.131.52 17:30, 10 October 2012 (GMT)
 Adding animals to the Animal Pen
I have built an Animal Pen as an exterior addition to Heljarchen Hall. It appears on the left of the entryway (when facing the door), as a fenced-off area with a hay bale in it. How do I add animals to it? A cow? Some chickens? I have tried clicking on the hay bale, and tried checking the carpenter's bench in the entryway where I created the Animal Pen, but there doesn't seem to be an option to add the animals to the pen. 184.108.40.206 22:05, 27 September 2012 (GMT)
- You have to have make a follower into a steward and pay them to add the animals. Details are on the steward page, but I didn't think to link to them from this page. I'll go ahead and do so now. Hope this helps! — ABCface◥ 02:24, 28 September 2012 (GMT)
 Simple contruction
For those who want to build all 9 options, want to build everything including the cellar and want to keep things simple, some tips here:
Total materials for all houses (crafted at forge): 569 nails, 60 hinges, 41 iron fittings, 30 locks and 18 iron ingots = 176 iron ingots + 30 corundum ingots. Just buy all ingots from vendors first. Buy 2 straws as well.
Quarried Stone and Clay can be mined on site or bought from personal steward. Sawn Logs can be bought from personal steward. Bring along the follower that you want to be steward when you first arrive at you new house. So you can instantly hire them after building the small house and don't have to travel back and forth.
Let the stewards do all the furnishing if you want.
 Bug - house not appearing
"House doesn't show at all." added by 220.127.116.11 at 06:53, 11 November 2012
- The above bug was just added to the article, and I moved it here mainly because it is quite vague. There is a known bug, typically caused by mods, in which a house may either 1) not appear at all, or 2) appear at a different homestead (e.g., you purchased Windstad and when building at the Windstad table/workbench the house gets built at the Lakeview property instead). Could the user who added this bug specify which house they experienced the bug at and which platform they are playing on? Also, if on PC, disabling mods and checking to see if the issue is resolved on an earlier save would be helpful. — ABCface◥ 07:01, 11 November 2012 (GMT)
 Hearthfire Homes Batch List
I know many people get tired of tracking down all the items required to build and furnish your homes. I've made well over thirty homes accross many different characters, and it can get quite tedious. Or maybe you just want to see what the various wings look like before you decide on which ones you want in your main house for keeps. Well in an effort to solve this issue for many, I've compiled a batch list that will give you everything you need to build and furnish all three of you houses. This list will give you 1000 of every item needed to build your home(s). Even if you build all three, you will however, have a lot of items left over. It is also important to note that these codes put the items directly in your inventory. It may be a good idea to use player.modav carryweight 100000 until you have finished with the items, and then use player.modav carryweight -100000 to reset your stats to normal. Or you could use some other means of fortifying your carry weight. It will take (if memory servers correctly) approximately 70,000 carryweight for all these items.
There are some specific rules as to how to go about using this list though, so please, ensure you've followed these directions carefully, otherwise many items (the Hearthfire specific ones, such as goat horns and glass) will not work.
When you open Skyrim, you will be able to look at your data files. This list shows you what official plug-ins and mods you are currently using. You must ensure that the items from Hearthfire (the items that are 01XXXXXX as opposed to 00XXXXXX in my list) match the place in which Hearthfire loads ONLY TAKING INTO ACCOUNT OFFICIAL PLUG-INS. That is to say that if Hearthfire loads before any other official plug-in, the list is good to go for you as is. If you have other plug ins, such as Fall of the Space-Core, DawnGuard, or Dragonborn, some changes will have to be made. There are two ways to go about doing this.
The simplest way may simply be to load Hearthfire before any other plug-ins. If you don't want to change your load order, here is how to change the batch list to accomodate you. Figure out how many official plug-ins you are loading. If you have four official plug-ins loading, and Hearthfire is the third to load, you must change all the items from Hearthfire (the ones that are 01XXXXXX) to 03XXXXXX.
Hopefully those directions were explained well enough. If not, feel free to ask me to elaborate more. Anyways, here is the list. I hope someone gets some use out of it.
player.additem 000c8911 1000 player.additem 000cc848 1000 player.additem 000c8915 1000 player.additem 000c8917 1000 player.additem 000c8919 1000 player.additem 000c891b 1000 player.additem 000cc844 1000 player.additem 000cc846 1000 player.additem 000878bb 1000 player.additem 0003ad52 1000 player.additem 0005ad93 1000 player.additem 000d284d 1000 player.additem 0003ada4 1000 player.additem 0003ada3 1000 player.additem 0005ad9d 1000 player.additem 0006851e 1000 player.additem 00068523 1000 player.additem 01005a69 1000 player.additem 0003ad8e 1000 player.additem 0100303f 1000 player.additem 0005ad9e 1000 player.additem 0002e4ff 1000 player.additem 01003011 1000 player.additem 0003ad68 1000 player.additem 01003035 1000 player.additem 0005ace4 1000 player.additem 0006bc0a 1000 player.additem 000800e4 1000 player.additem 01003012 1000 player.additem 0006bc00 1000 player.additem 0100300f 1000 player.additem 0005ad99 1000 player.additem 0005ada0 1000 player.additem 0005ada1 1000 player.additem 0005ad9f 1000 player.additem 0003ad6e 1000 player.additem 0006bc04 1000 player.additem 0100300e 1000 player.additem 0005ace3 1000 player.additem 0003ad70 1000 player.additem 0006bc0b 1000 player.additem 0005ace5 1000 player.additem 01005a68 1000 player.additem 0003ad76 1000 player.additem 0003ad74 1000 player.additem 01003043 1000 Player.additem 0003ad6d 1000 player.additem 0100306c 1000
- For anyone confused by the changing the first two numbers in IDs, the page Skyrim:Form ID may be helpful. — ABCface◥ 06:43, 25 January 2013 (GMT)
- Also, rather than changing carry weight, you can just toggle god mode with "tgm" at the console. You will still be encumbered and moving slowly at first, but you then open and close the inventory (I guess to refresh or something) and then your weight doesn't matter anymore. You can now move normally and fast travel. Use "tgm" again later to toggle it back off. Ignotus (talk) 04:47, 4 April 2013 (GMT)
 Small House - Entrance Hall
Xbox: When I changed the small house to the entrance hall at Windstad Manor, all of the items i had stored in a chast inside the small house disappeared. Unfortunately this was some time ago and I don't have the savegame anymore, so if anyone could confirm if this happens with all chests or just with some (I think it was one next to the door into the main hall), I think it should be added to the bug section, or maybe noted in the entrance hall paragraph. I would change it myself, but I'm not sure about the details. --18.104.22.168 22:29, 26 February 2013 (GMT)