Daggerfall:Leveling and Skills
In Daggerfall, character development is based on a leveling system that is directly affected by the skills mechanic.
Level is determined by the following equation:
- L = floor((S − S0 + 28)/15)
- S = the sum of the three Primary Skills, the two highest Major Skills, and the highest Minor Skill
- S0 = the sum of the starting values of each of those skills
In order to gain a level, the character must rest after any combination of the following skills have been increased 15 times:
- The three Primary Skills
- The highest two Major Skills
- The highest Minor Skill
- A Miscellaneous Skill with a greater value than the highest Major Skill or the highest Minor Skill
- Note: A new character only needs two skill increases to reach level 2.
The following is awarded each time a character gains a level:
All Skills have an individual 6 hour cooldown period (in-game time) that affects when it can be increased again. Skill increases occur after resting, loitering, or fast-travel.
A Skill can be increased in the following ways:
- Using a skill a certain amount of times
- The Skill Advancement for Class setting affects this
- The level, or percentage value, of the Skill also afects this. Uses required increase with skill levels that are a multiple of 15 (i.e. when a Skill reaches 15%, 30%, 45%, 60%, 75%, and 90%)
- Paying a Skill Trainer
- When a Skill reaches 50%, this option is no longer available.
The following is a list of the cheapest spells to create in each school. Spell cost may vary depending on character level and proficiency in each school of magic.
|Alteration||Jumping or Water Breathing||1|
|Destruction||Minimal Damage Health Spell||?|
To minimize spell cost, adjust the per level value to look like this:
1-1 + 1-1 per 2 levels
Spells that are x to x+1, where x is an odd number, will cost the same as an x-x spell. This applies to all variable fields. At low levels, this makes very little difference, but at higher levels it can be a significant advantage.
Conserving Spell Points
Spells and items that Absorb Magic can be used to gain free spell casts.
- Access the Mages Guild Spell Maker (must be a member) and create a spell with the Soul Trap or Damage effect as 'area around target' with '1-1 + 1-1 per 2/level' magnitude.
- Add two more effects from two other schools of magic.
- Cast the spell near a wall or at your feet in order to absorb and regain the spell points used to cast the spell
The resulting spell might look something like these:
- Example 1
- Damage 1-1 + 1-1 per 2 levels (area around target)
- Light 1-1 + 1-1 per 2 levels
- Free Action 1-1 + 1-1 per 2 levels
- Example 2
- Soul Trap 1-1 + 1-1 per 2 levels (area around target)
- Water Walking 1-1 + 1-1 per 2 levels
- Water Breathing 1-1 + 1-1 per 2 levels
Creating spells with multiple effects can also be used to increase skills without having to spend spell points. However, this method will only train the skill associated with the first spell effect.
- Create a spell with multiple effects, such as:
- Cast the spell, but do not select a target. Spell points will decrease (as Thaumaturgy, Alteration, and Destruction skills are used), but because Damage health awaits a target, the spell is not fully triggered.
- Cancel the spell (press e). This returns all spell points since the entire spell was not fully cast.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 indefinitely (pressing q to quick-cast the last spell cast).
- Create a spell with multiple effects, such as:
The following is a list of guilds that have skill trainers associated with each specific skill.
|Skill||Guilds Where Skill can be Trained|
|Alteration||Mages, Akatosh, Julianos|
|Archery||Fighters, Kynareth, Mara, Akatosh, Dark Brotherhood|
|Axe||Fighters, Arkay, Stendarr|
|Backstabbing||Arkay, Thieves, Dark Brotherhood|
|Blunt Weapon||Fighters, Stendarr, Thieves, Zenithar|
|Climbing||Kynareth, Arkay, Thieves, Dark Brotherhood|
|Critical Strike||Stendarr, Fighters, Mara, Arkay, Dark Brotherhood, Julianos|
|Daedric||Dibella, Mages, Kynareth, Stendarr, Akatosh, Mara, Dark Brotherhood, Zenithar, Julianos|
|Destruction||Kynareth, Mages, Akatosh, Arkay, Dark Brotherhood|
|Dodging||Kynareth, Stendarr, Thieves, Dark Brotherhood|
|Dragonish||Akatosh, Mages, Kynareth|
|Etiquette||Dibella, Mara, Zenithar|
|Harpy||Dibella, Mages, Mara, Kynareth, Zenithar|
|Illusion||Kynareth, Mages, Dibella, Mara|
|Lockpicking||Dibella, Thieves, Julianos|
|Long Blade||Dibella, Akatosh, Fighters|
|Medical||Arkay, Mara, Stendarr|
|Orcish||Stendarr, Dibella, Fighters, Mages, Zenithar|
|Restoration||Dibella, Mages, Stendarr, Arkay, Mara|
|Running||Akatosh, Fighters, Kynareth, Dark Brotherhood|
|Short Blade||Fighters, Arkay, Thieves, Dark Brotherhood, Julianos|
|Spriggan||Stendarr, Mages, Zenithar|
|Stealth||Kynareth, Akatosh, Thieves, Dark Brotherhood|
|Streetwise||Dibella, Mara, Thieves, Dark Brotherhood, Zenithar|
|Swimming||Fighters, Akatosh, Thieves, Dark Brotherhood|
|Thaumaturgy||Mages, Zenithar, Julianos|
- Save before resting and leveling up. Reload if less than 6 bonus points and/or maximum HP/level are awarded. This maximizes the benefits of leveling to get the most out of a character.
- The larger the range of possible HP/level, the less likely it is that both that maximum and the 6 bonus attribute points are gained. The attribute points are usually much more important, so how many reloads of that save game are worth the trouble to gain the maximum in both attributes and HP is an issue best left to the player.
- Practice skills everywhere. Run in towns, sneak in dungeons, climb city walls, deplete spell points before resting, etc.
- Create low-cost practice spells. Casting a Restoration spell with a cost of 5 will increase the Restoration skill by the same amount as casting a Restoration spell with a cost of 50.
- Take advantage of Skill Trainers in guilds. Each training session is roughly equal to 15 uses of a skill and can increase skills up to 50%. The cost of training is 100 * Character Level, so it is more cost-effective to train at lower levels.
- Skill Trainers require 9 hours in between using their services. It's possible to train without having to leave the building by loitering. When stamina gets low, use spells or potions to restore it.