Skyrim:Purity of Revenge
 Quick Walkthrough
- With Vilkas as a shield brother, infiltrate the Silver Hand's refuge.
- Retrieve the Fragments of Wuuthrad.
- (Optional) Wipe out the Silver Hand.
- Return to Jorrvaskr.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 Revenge Served Cold
After the death of Kodlak Whitemane, Vilkas is looking for revenge. He wants to go after the Silver Hand for the attack on Jorrvaskr and the further affront of stealing the fragments of Wuuthrad. With no questions asked, Vilkas will then act as your follower all the way to the Silver Hand hide-out at Driftshade Refuge, a small fort southeast of Dawnstar. Upon arrival at the fort, dispose of the two Silver Hand members outside: a guard at the entrance and an archer on the roof, then head inside.
 Den of the Silver Hand
Not surprisingly, Driftshade Refuge is crawling with hostile Silver Hand members, so take advantage of your follower and kill the opposition one by one. In the two-leveled room with many boxes on the floor, make sure to search for An Explorer's Guide to Skyrim which will add a few map markers for later exploration. It is located on a bookshelf beneath an elk head mounted on the wall. The tunnel north of the room contains a locked door, so unlock it and wipe out yet another Silver Hand. In the next room, a set of spears blocks the entrance but the corresponding lever is easily located right next to the spears. Proceed forward and enter Driftshade Cellar.
After the first turn, make sure to loot the hidden treasure chest, then follow the path and make use of the Spike Wall trap to dispose of yet another enemy. Ignore the locked cell with the dead werewolf, activate the trap again and run to the area behind it for another treasure chest. Hit the pullbar on the wall to get back out, and head forward to another room with two enemies and, hidden on a shelf, the Light Armor skill book The Rear Guard. The cellar now turns into a snowy cave, and the next room is in two levels, with a Silver Hand sniper on the ledge above. Kill him and examine the cages, one of them holds a living werewolf, who will attack you if you pick the lock, the other one contains a dead horse.
 The Fragments of Wuuthrad
After passing through a torture chamber, the next large chamber contains more enemies, an apothecary's satchel, a coin purse, and two potions on a bookshelf behind the fireplace. Take the only available path, leading back to an initially inaccessible part of Driftshade Refuge. The first chamber contains the three remaining members of the Silver Hand, the One-handed skill book 2920, Morning Star, v1, the Block skill book Warrior, a treasure chest with considerable loot and finally, the stolen Fragments of Wuuthrad. Use the door to the south for an easy escape route, then return to Jorrvaskr. As soon as you arrive, Vilkas will inform you that you should meet up at the Skyforge and pay your respects to the deceased, but now avenged, Whitemane. This will end the quest and start the next one, Glory of the Dead.
- The shortcut to zoom in on the map point will not work for this quest for some people. The map point is nevertheless visible at the location specified in this article.
- If Driftshade Refuge has already been cleared, this quest cannot be started normally without a workaround. Before you begin Blood's Honor, wait 30 in-game days after you have cleared Driftshade Refuge to allow that dungeon to reset (you will have to revert to a slightly earlier save to do this). This should allow Purity of Revenge to begin normally upon completion of Blood's Honor. An easy way to check if the dungeon has been reset is to check the doors--if they have all been shut, it is reset (e.g., if the formerly barred door is barred again).
- This bug is fixed by version 1.3.0 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- The console may aid in fixing this. Click on Vilkas and use the
enablecommands, then use
setstage c05 0and talk to him.
- Another method that has worked is to reset the interior of Driftshade Refuge by typing
ResetInterior DriftshadeSanctuary01into the console. Then go and visit Driftshade Refuge and confirm that it is reset. It should be populated with Silver Hand fighters. Do this before talking to Vilkas, and when you do speak to him the next quest may start.
- If Blood's Honor has already been completed and this quest won't begin because the Helm of Winterhold miscellaneous quest is active, it is possible to proceed through Driftshade Refuge without killing anyone (use stealth, fear or invisibility as needed) and take the Helm of Winterhold from the chest at the end. Once the Helm is returned to the Jarl of Winterhold to complete that quest, return to Jorrvaskr and the Purity of Revenge quest will begin.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.9 of the Official Skyrim Patch.
- Another possibility is to complete the Helm of Winterhold quest by typing
setstage favor158 20into the console before talking with Vilkas.
- Should the "Retrieve the Helm of Winterhold" quest pose a repetition problem. Simply go to the Jarl Korir, take the quest one more time and enter
setstage favor158 20on the console. This quest shouldn't be a problem anymore. On the console, proceed by tapping
ResetInterior DriftshadeSanctuary01. Then return to Vilkas and on the console, enter
setstage c05 0.
 Quest Stages
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 1.
|Prev: Blood's Honor||Up: Companions||Next: Glory of the Dead|