|Artifact: Wuuthrad (000956b5)|
|Charge/Cost = Uses||Unlimited|
Wuuthrad is an ancient battleaxe once wielded by the founder of the Companions, Ysgramor. Its primary effect is causing 1.2x damage to elves, namely Altmer, Bosmer, Dunmer, and Falmer. Accordingly, the visage of a screaming elf decorates the axe. Though the conditions of its creation are unknown, Ysgramor carried the axe when he and the Five Hundred Companions drove the elves from Skyrim and Solstheim.
At the start of the game, Wuuthrad is in several fragments, four of which are located within the Companions headquarters Jorrvaskr. During the course of the Companions quest line, the weapon is reforged and is used to gain access to Ysgramor's tomb.
After placing Wuuthrad into the hands of Ysgramor's statue at the entrance of his tomb, you can take it back straight away and continue along without affecting the rest of the quest. You can use it as you see fit, though it is no longer a quest item and so has a weight. Wuuthrad can not be improved by smithing, though it can be enchanted. Despite this, the effect text doesn't change, which means you cannot see how much damage the enchantment does. You can still modify the amount.
 Related Quests
- Proving Honor: Claim a Fragment of Wuuthrad from Dustman's Cairn.
- Purity of Revenge: Retrieve the Fragments of Wuuthrad and wipe out the Silver Hand.
- Glory of the Dead: Cure Kodlak's spirit and become leader of the Companions.
- In Ysgramor's Tomb during the Purity quest for Farkas, when you drop the Glenmoril Witch Head into the fire, Wuuthrad may disappear, and cannot be regained after this.
- Wuuthrad cannot be improved at a grindstone.
- This issue has been addressed by version 1.0 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch; Wuuthrad can be upgraded using an ebony ingot.
- Wuuthrad's bonus against elves does not apply to Orsimer (Orcs).
- This bug is fixed by version 1.3.2 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.