|# of Zones||1|
|Respawn Time||Never (storage is safe)|
|Console Location Code(s)|
|Southeast of Markarth|
|# of Orichalcum||1|
|# of Silver||1|
|# of Iron||1|
Reachwater Rock is home to the crypt of Archmage Gauldur. It cannot be fully explored unless you are well on your way finishing the related quest. (This quest can be started here, but you still don't get access without leaving the cave first.)
 Related Quests
The path to Reachwater Rock is on your right just before crossing the last bridge, on the road towards Falkreath heading southeast, before you each the turning for Karthspire camp. One silver ore vein is located to the right of the path before reaching the stream. The path ends at a stream that is falling from the mountains above, the entrance is through the waterfall. One iron ore vein is located on the opposite side of the stream where the path ends.
 Zone 1: Reachwater Rock
Upon entering this natural cavern you will have a waterfall on your right, with the stream heading north-south into the cavern. There a many mushroom ingredients growing in this first room and throughout the ruin, see the table below for the totals. The stream drops into a pool of water There is a chest and skeleton with an iron shield and steel greatsword at the bottom. The path winds around the pool to the left, on your left is a lit brazier with an orichalcum ore vein next to it. The path continues over a rock bridge to an island in the middle. There is a dead adventurer next to a tree. To the left is a plinth holdings the emerald dragon claw which is needed for the door to this ruin. Underneath the claw is an Ancient Edict which continues the lore for the quest and warns you to not to continue. Looking east from the puzzle door you will see on the far side of the cavern a ledge containing a chest. This can be reached be using all three words of Whirlwind Sprint.
Continuing over a second rock bridge up to a puzzle door, use the combination from the emerald dragon claw to unlock it. To see the combination, examine the underside of the claw in the inventory menu; it should be Bear—Whale—Snake. Upon opening you will see that it in fact opens a series of four similar doors in a row. Follow the corridor over the now open four doors to a second puzzle door. This one is opened using the ivory dragon claw which is found in Folgunthur during the Forbidden Legend quest: Hawk—Hawk—Dragon. This door is trapped by a poisoned dart trap which are shot from either side and fire for incorrect combinations.
This door opens at the top of a flight of stairs, with a bench on your left and a burial urn on your right. At the bottom of the stairs are four lit braziers, behind the back right hand one is a potion of vigorous healing and behind the back left one a burial urn. To the south is a large urn. The path continues to the north entering a large room with a total of eight upright sarcophagi around the room on different levels. At the northern end of the room is a stone table where you place the three parts of the Gauldur Amulet. Behind this is a ninth sarcophagus which contain the remains of Archmage Gauldur, once you have completed the quest here make sure you search his skeleton for a large amount of gold. All of the upright sarcophagi's inhabitants can be dealt with prior to placing the amulet parts utilizing rune spells.
On your way back out of this room after the end of the quest you will see that next to the large urn to the south a doorway has opened in the wall revealing an unlocked boss chest with a steel horned helmet, an elven shield, an iron sword, an iron battleaxe and a filled petty soul gem beside it.
- If the puzzle door does not work, check here for possible fixes.
- The claw may not show up in your inventory after picking it up but can still be used on doors. You can manually add the item with console commands if this happens.
- There is a possibility Sigdis Gauldurson will use Unrelenting Force and knock you past the barrier separating you from the ghosts, glitching you to the point where you must reload a save.
- It may be possible to use ranged shouts or magic to kill the ghosts and lift the barrier, or you can conjure a creature on the other side of the barrier (if combat stops after conjuring, use hostile magic to start it again).
- You can use the console command
tclto fly out of the barrier.
- The ghost may not come down for you to fight him. He stands and stares at the wall.
- In the pool of water in the main chamber, there are several "holes" in the water where you can breathe and walk normally. The most noticeable one is at the deepest part of the pool.
- The claw may not spawn. Load an old save to fix this or simply walk out of the cave and re-enter.
- If Dawnbreaker is used to destroy one of the ghosts and its ability activates, the ghost may not return to the shelf and the next one will not come down to fight, forcing you to reload an earlier save.