Skyrim talk:First Lessons
 How to Join
Hey, I dont know how to join because for me, she is saying to cast a fear spell to get in. I bought the spell but when I cast it does not do anything and I am not sure if the spell you have to use is random or how I join the guild. Thanks --Lord.Baal 18:36, 12 November 2011 (UTC)
- She selects an Apprentice level spell from one school of magic at random. You have to cast the spell at the rune on the floor near her to pass the test. You can also do a Shout at the rune to bypass the spell test. Kyne's Peace is a good one to use to avoid getting a bounty for assault. Torinir 15:30, 21 November 2011 (UTC)
- IIRC, I didn't have to hit the rune with the Shout. I just used Unrelenting Force on the wall and she let me in. Oblivion nerd 19:39, 20 December 2011 (UTC)
 Weird Spell...
- Perhaps you cast Candlelight instead of Magelight. The quest will only advance if you cast the latter, an Apprentice-level spell. --Enodoc 22:17, 24 November 2011 (UTC)
 Spells for the test
The spell Faralda asks you to demonstrate appears not to be related to the response you give her regarding your motive for entering the college. There are five possible spells, and only four dialogue options. In addition, the dialogue option that initiates the test is separate and not related to the other four; the last sentence she says before explaining the test is always the same, suggesting that the same code is being used by the time the test section is activated. I've edited the article to say that the spell is random, as without any more information that is all it seems to be. It is possible however that the spell chosen is affected by skill level in the different schools of magic - the Magelight spell may be more likely to be chosen for someone well practiced in Alteration. With the Xbox 360 version I will have no way of checking the codes when the Construction Set is released, but it may be worth investigating in the future. I've also removed the bug regarding the spell, as if they are random, which is likely, then it's not a bug at all. --Enodoc 23:05, 24 November 2011 (UTC)
- I just also tested the Shouting, which didn't work at all. Perhaps that only works when you're on the relevant Main Quest that requires you to visit the college, and not otherwise. --Enodoc 23:20, 24 November 2011 (UTC)
 Casting spell 360
I was holding off doing any of the main quest line and didn't know about the possibility of using a dragon shout, so when I tried to enter the college, I had to cast a spell. I was given the fear spell. As I was playing a non-magical character, I hadn't put any levels into magicka. Trying to be cute, I went around and got a bunch of fortify magicka items to give me enough magicka to cast the spell, and it did not work. I wasn't allowed entrance until I actually got enough levels in magicka to cast fear without any aids (be they enchanted items or potions). — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 23:27 on 10 December 2011
 Utilizing the Ward spell
I've found that as a non-caster, holding a Ward long enough for Tolfdir to cast spells at me is a pain. However, Spellbreaker's Ward effect counted, so yay? 126.96.36.199 09:51, 21 December 2011 (UTC)
- That would be a good adition to the page, especially for non-mages.RIM 10:33, 21 December 2011 (UTC)
- This is confirmed by me. If your magika is too low, by the time Tolfdir is ready to cast the spell, your magika is already running out and Tolfdir will detect it and stop casting. Solved by equipping some magika gear.
Killing a college member on the PS3 version does not reset the quest nor does fighting any of the 3 mages with Tolfdir. If you have information that will actually work, please post it when possible. — Unsigned comment by 188.8.131.52 (talk) at 00:58 on 22 December 2011
 Odd behavior under 184.108.40.206
After completing my tour with Mirabel I entered the Hall of Elements and noticed that there were only two students and Tolfdir wasn't talking. I spoke to him and he simply said "after the unfortunate incident that just occurred...I think it is best if we just move on" and the First Lessons quest immediately completed and Under Saarthal began, but with no explanation as to what had happened. Kastagir 07:37, 23 December 2011 (UTC)
- seems like a student died somehow and that must be the reaction, i would say the student died during a dragon attack that the college reguraly endures. (Eddie The Head 07:42, 23 December 2011 (UTC))
- Onmund is the student that is missing. I loaded up another character that had completed this sequence successfully and ran through it again. It seems that typically as you first approach Mirabel Ervine as she is talking to Ancano, the three students will be walking from the Hall of Attainment to the Hall of Elements, setting them up to be there with Tolfdir when you finish your tour. The problem is that they have already done this and entered the Hall of Elements before I even enter the college and Onmund is not among them. He is also not in the Hall of Attainment, nor do I see his corpse anywhere. Kastagir 07:58, 23 December 2011 (UTC)
- Using "player.moveto 1c1a2" teleported me to Onmund's corpse, which was inside a boulder east of Winterhold (I could walk out of the rock, but not back in). Using the "resurrect" command didn't help, as he just stood there. Using the "player.moveto 1c1a2" command from a previous save found him wandering around inside Winterhold, so I'm not sure what happened. I'm sure proceeding from an earlier save is likely to allow the quest to proceed normally providing I get there before he gets killed again. Kastagir 08:12, 23 December 2011 (UTC)
- Well thanks for the info, I'll add the it to the page, doesn't seem like you are losing much anyway, Onmund isn't essential to any quests (except his quest) and other than that you'll miss out on a free ward spell if you didn't have one. (Eddie The Head 08:17, 23 December 2011 (UTC))
 Can't Get into College!
Hi all! Started Skyrim yesterday after 200 hours of Oblivion and loving it! Got a question about getting into the college though. I completed the quest 'First Lessons', but the gate to the college is locked and it says I need a key to enter.
Anyone got any ideas? Is it glitched? Have I missed something?
Thanks in advance! (Saddy85 12:35, 27 December 2011 (UTC))
- Faralda's supposed to lead you to the gate. Did something happen to her — Unsigned comment by DelosFandas (talk • contribs) at 23:22 on 5 January 2012
 Quest stages incorrect
Using Skyrim version 220.127.116.11.6. I wanted to skip the tour, because it's tedious, but found that the stages listed in the article are not correct. My character is currently taking the tour, and the command 'sqs mg01pointer' results in this output:
- Stage 10: 1
- Stage 200: 1
- Stage 255: 1
I don't have experience with the Creation Kit to check the stages manually, but whomever is doing the redesign for this page should make sure this gets fixed. — Unsigned comment by 18.104.22.168 (talk) at 03:38 on 19 August 2012
- Try using mg01 instead of mg01pointer and you should get the correct stages. — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 15:14 on 13 September 2012
Has anyone ever been able to successfully persuade Faralda that they don't need to take her test for admission? I've begun playing without any gold/monetary transactions and am curious just how high one's Speech has to be to get into the College (before acquiring the Elder Knowledge quest and just shouting for her). 126.96.36.199 18:30, 3 September 2012 (EDT)
- As noted in the speech skill that specific persuade attempt requires a speech skill 100 (70 with relevent perks) Lord Eydvar Talk | Contribs 18:32, 3 September 2012 (EDT)
- Thanks for the quick response - I hadn't checked out the Speech page recently 188.8.131.52 23:54, 3 September 2012 (EDT)
- I just gained admittance thru a Persuade (I have 100 Speech) and now I can not complete the Quest. May have to re-load a save? Trying other stuff now.Appears to just be a qlitch where it is just the quest that hasn't been removed to the completed quest file. I can fully access the College.
184.108.40.206 07:29, 11 October 2012 (GMT)
 Not a prerequisite quest
The current text is incorrect:
"Several of the college's optional quests become available once First Lessons has been completed, namely Out of Balance, Enchanting Pick-Up, Filling Soul Gems, and Restocking Soul Gems, Fetch me that Book!, and Shalidor's Insights."
I have savefiles where Out of Balance, Enchanting Pick-Up, and Restocking Soul Gems are given before I've even entered the Hall of Elements. I've just tested Fetch me that Book! and Shalidor's Insights from a very current save, and Urag is up in the middle of the night and perfectly willing to give me both! I cannot find anything in the CK that makes this a requirement conditional.
 Freezing and CTDs
Due to not knowing the lesser ward or any ward spell at all, my game froze completly. Suprisingly not when I entered the CELL and Skyrim should be checking the scripts for it. No it was in the Middle of the Conversation between the three Apprentices and Tolfdir. Probably shortly before Tolfdir wants your Opinion on the matter. I tested and retested it. Only adding the Spelltome by Console helped.
 Filling Soul Gems?
Well, given that Filling Soul Gems is an unfinished quest that never starts (it even says so on the linked page!), I'm going to remove it from the list of quests available. Add a note on the page too. 220.127.116.11 23:41, 9 December 2013 (GMT)
 Bug: Firebolt task can be completed by Ignite and Incinerate
In my work on a mod to overhaul Skyrim's magic system, I've uncovered that the spells Ignite (added by Ahzidal's Ring of Arcana in the Dragonborn DLC) and Incinerate both have the same quest trigger script assigned (MG01FireEffectScript) to allow them to be able to complete the "cast the firebolt spell" stage of the quest; it's a script that was only meant to be assigned to the Firebolt spell. It's very likely that when Bethesda created the Ignite and Incinerate spells, they did so by simply duplicating the main damage effect of the Firebolt spell (which also duplicates any assigned scripts) and forgot to remove that script afterwards. I've updated the main page's bug section to include this information. --Lobotomy 18.104.22.168 22:58, 25 January 2014 (GMT)