|This article could benefit from an image of:
Needs something other than just the item image
See Help:Images for information on how to upload images. Please remove this template from the page when finished.
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Speak with Sorine Jurard.
- Travel to the target location.
- Retrieve the requested schematics.
- Return to Sorine.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 Find the Schematic
Speak to Sorine Jurard in Fort Dawnguard to receive this quest. She will then instruct you to travel to a random Dwarven ruin or bandit hideout (this includes locations added by Dragonborn) and retrieve the Dwemer schematic specifying a new crossbow design. The schematics will be located in the boss level chest in the location. If it is a bandit area, the note Dwarven Haul will be found in the chest as well. Once you have the schematic in your inventory, return to Sorine to receive a minor reward. She will also teach you how to craft the new crossbow at a forge with the proper perks (e.g. Steel Smithing for the standard crossbow that all members of the Dawnguard carry).
 The Rewards
This quest can be completed six times. She will give you random enchanted items each time. The first time, you get the schematics for an Enhanced Crossbow, then the schematics for the Exploding Steel Bolt of Fire, Ice and Shock. The Enhanced Crossbow can be created at a forge with two corundum ingots and a normal crossbow. The bolts can be created in lots of ten by using normal bolts combined with Fire, Frost, and Void Salts, respectively. After the bolts, she will send you to find the schematics for a Dwarven Crossbow. Returning it to her will unlock the ability to create Dwarven Crossbows with 5 Dwarven Metal Ingots and the Dwarven Smithing perk as well as Dwarven Bolts with a piece of firewood and a Dwarven Metal Ingot. She will also begin selling Exploding Dwarven Bolts of Fire, Ice, and Shock, and teaches you how to make them with 10 Dwarven Bolts and the respective salts. The last stage of this quest is to find the schematics for the Enhanced Dwarven Crossbow. Giving her the schematics will allow her to sell the Enhanced Dwarven Crossbow and let you make it.
- This quest is not available as a Vampire Lord.
- Sometimes the location arrow may not appear if the item is to be found in Solstheim. Under these circumstances travelling to Solstheim will make the arrow appear in the relevant local location.
- Each time you finish the quest, Calcemo will send you a letter. He will ask you to sell to him the rewards of this quest.
- If you advance in the Dawnguard questline the quest marker may disappear off of the radiant location where the schematics are located. The quest marker will instead be back over Sorine's head and will remain there.
- If you have the Dragonborn add-on, head to Solstheim and activate the quest. This may resolve the issue.[verification needed — Does this work for others?]
- Rarely, after obtaining the first several upgrades, you will not be presented with the option to repeat the quest and retrieve further schematics. This may be caused by starting the quest Kindred Judgment.
- It is possible to manually add the missing recipes with the following console commands (which add all the recipes from exploding fire bolts onwards—only the ones that are actually missing are required):
Set DLC1TechXbowBoltsExplodingFireChanceNone to 0 Set DLC1TechXbowBoltsExplodingIceChanceNone to 0 Set DLC1TechXbowBoltsExplodingShockChanceNone to 0 Set DLC1TechXbowDwarvenChanceNone to 0 Set DLC1TechXbowDwarvenEnhancedChanceNone to 0
- You can get stuck with the "Help Sorine with her project to improve the crossbow" and the dialogue item "What can I do to help?" that gives the "Ancient Technology" doesn't appear on Sorine.
 Quest Stages
|This Skyrim-related article is a stub. You can help by .|