Skyrim:Take Up Arms
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Locate the headquarters of the Companions.
- Find and talk to Kodlak Whitemane.
- Prove yourself worthy against Vilkas.
- Make yourself useful to the higher-ranked members.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 Find the Companions
On your way to Whiterun, you may stumble upon members of the Companions, specifically Aela the Huntress, Ria, and Farkas, battling a giant amidst the sparse crops outside Pelagia Farm. After the battle, Aela will actively seek you out and will, depending on the outcome of the battle, either commend or taunt your battle skills. In both cases, however, she will tell you about the Companions and point you towards Kodlak Whitemane in Jorrvaskr.
If you missed the fight near the farm, speaking with select Whiterun citizens or Jorrvaskr residents will also trigger a quest to see Kodlak Whitemane.
Jorrvaskr is a legendary mead hall and the oldest building in Whiterun; it is located in the Wind District, up the eastern set of stairs from the Gildergreen. Inside the building, you will witness a friendly brawl between newcomers Athis and Njada Stonearm while the other members cheer. The harbinger of the Companions, Kodlak Whitemane, will most likely be in the northern room of the Living Quarters, busy talking to Vilkas about what seem to be important matters. When asked about membership, Kodlak will consider you worthy, while Vilkas will disagree. After a brief argument between the two, Kodlak will ask about your battle skills. Regardless of your answer, Kodlak will order Vilkas to escort you to the yard for a quick sparring session. Follow Vilkas to the yard and pick up the fight. Make sure not to use magic, a bound weapon, or an enchanted weapon, for if you do Vilkas will temporarily stop the session. If you only have enchanted weapons, unequip them and use your fists. Take a few swings at Vilkas and prove your worth. Once Vilkas asks you to stop, accept your status as a 'whelp' and the fact that you will run errands for now.
 A Few Errands
Vilkas will hand you his sword for sharpening. Take it to the best forger in town, Eorlund Gray-Mane, who works at the Skyforge just up the stairs from the Jorrvaskr entrance. Eorlund will briefly explain how newcomers tend to get bossed around upon joining the Companions, and will then ask for a favor. He will give you a shield for Aela, who can be found talking to Skjor in the living quarters. Similar to the conversation between Kodlak and Vilkas, it becomes apparent that the Companions hide a few secrets, although none of them will share them with you at this time. When you hand Aela the shield, she will thank you for the favor and summon Farkas to escort you to your new quarters, where a free bed will be available. Farkas will introduce you to a few of the other newcomers and will also offer you a job, which will be one of his radiant quests. You can choose to ignore his request, as seven different radiant quests will now be available from the guild members, and you must complete at least one of them before your next major assignment, Proving Honor.
One achievement is unlocked when you complete this quest:
- If you want to encounter the three Companions near Pelagia Farm, make sure to head straight north after leaving Riverwood. This will take you directly to the farm and the fight.
- In the living quarters, Aela and Farkas' dialogue will differ. If you met them earlier near Pelagia Farm, they will both recognize you; if you went straight to Jorrvaskr, they will just greet you like a newcomer.
- At high levels Vilkas is quite powerful. Make sure to outfit yourself properly.
- Having a follower while taking the test may cause a conflict between the followers and those giving you the test. Fast traveling, leaving the area, saving or reloading do not solve this problem.
- Casting calm spells on your follower may fix this behavior, temporarily.
- Vilkas may simply turn hostile the moment you enter the training area, even if you're barehanded. He never stops to hand you his sword, but simply fights you to the death. Even if you leave Jorrvaskr, he follows you wherever you go and fights you in the streets, and passing guards will not aid you. Since he is essential until the end of the questline, he cannot be killed. This not only makes the questline broken, it also makes navigating around Whiterun dangerous, as he will always be hostile and be right where you last left him.
- This can be temporarily stopped with the
setav aggression 0console commands, but he will still never give you his sword or advance the quest, and will continually fight you as soon as he sees you.
- The console command
setstage c00 100ends this behavior, but does not erase any bounties you built up fighting him where guards could see.
- This can be temporarily stopped with the
 Quest Stages
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the second table: 0, 1, 150
|Prev: None||Up: Companions||Next: Proving Honor|