Skyrim:The Silence Has Been Broken
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Meet Amaund Motierre inside Volunruud.
- Take his letter and amulet to Astrid.
- Take the amulet to Delvin Mallory in the Ragged Flagon in Riften.
- Return to Astrid with the letter of credit from Delvin.
 Detailed Walkthrough
Upon returning to turn in the completed missions Kill Hern and/or Kill Lurbuk, Astrid will approach you and tell you that she has finished thinking. She agrees that it would be madness to just ignore the Night Mother's demands, and tells you to travel to Volunruud to meet with Amaund Motierre.
Travel to Volunruud and enter the ruin. Immediately to your left, a skeleton waiting in a small alcove will attack you (the skeleton may not attack until after you have spoken to Amaund Motierre) , surrounded by some more bones and an Iron Helmet. After defeating the skeleton, continue straight to the main entryway. There are three paths, but the one you want is the leftmost one. The first chamber here is filled with draugr, but only a few are hostile. The others can be looted. Open the door and you'll find Amaund. There, he will inform you that he wants the Emperor himself assassinated, and his servant will give you two items: a valuable Jeweled Amulet "to cover expenses" and Amaund Motierre's Sealed Letter to deliver to Astrid. Return to the sanctuary and deliver these items to Astrid.
Astrid will ask you to take the amulet to Delvin Mallory, a Thieves Guild member, inside the Ragged Flagon in the Ratway in Riften. She says that, in lieu of payment, Delvin will probably give you a letter of credit, which he does. If you are a Thieves Guild member and have completed the quest Taking Care of Business, remember that you can enter via the secret entrance in the Riften graveyard. Delvin may also comment on your multiple memberships by saying that you've been making friends in all sort of places.
Delvin Mallory will inform you that the amulet is a one of a kind amulet that is only given to members of the Elder Council. He agrees to purchase it and hands you a letter of credit, which is to be delivered to Astrid - as per their "standard arrangement."
Return to Astrid with the letter, and she will tell you that Amaund Motierre is probably a member of the Elder Council looking to get himself promoted. With that, she informs you that your first mission will be assassinating Vittoria Vici at her own wedding.
- If the player reads the letter Amaund Motierre gives them inside Volunruud before delivering it to Astrid, she will mention it in conversation after showing it to her, criticizing the player's actions as "sloppy." This has no effect on the quest other than the additional dialog.
- It is possible to start this quest by directly going to Volunruud rather than speaking to Astrid first, but only after you have killed either Lurbuk or Hern.
- There is a chest in Amaund's chamber within the ruins which is free to loot, containing some leveled valuables and gold.
- If you go to Amaund before getting the quest, the quest will not be altered. If you return to the Sanctuary, Astrid will simply tell you to go to Volunruud before ending the conversation.
- Asking Astrid for more details on the wedding murder will have her speaking like the civil war is still ongoing, even if you've already completed that questline.
 Quest Stages
|This Skyrim-related article is a stub. You can help by .|
|Prev: Kill Hern, Kill Lurbuk||Up: Dark Brotherhood||Next: Bound Until Death|