Skyrim:Whispers in the Dark
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Hide in the Night Mother's coffin and listen to Cicero.
- Step out and confront Cicero and Astrid.
- Take contracts from Nazir.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 Secret Agent
After returning from your assassination mission in Mourning Never Comes, Astrid will confess that she is a little paranoid about the Night Mother's assistant, Cicero. He has been locking himself in the room with the Night Mother's coffin and speaking to someone, and won't tell anyone who. She will direct you to hide in the coffin with the Night Mother's corpse to spy on him to see whom he talks to.
 Listen to Your Mother
Rush upstairs into the room and pick the lock on the Night Mother's coffin, then step inside and listen. You will hear that Cicero is actually attempting to communicate with the Night Mother and that there is no sabotage, but she refuses to talk to him because he is not the Listener. The Night Mother does, however, talk to you. She will task you with traveling to Volunruud and speaking with Amaund Motierre.
Step out of the coffin and speak to both Astrid and Cicero. Explain that there is no traitor and that you are the new Listener. Astrid will be understanding at first, but her attitude quickly changes. She demands that you do not follow the Night Mother's directions because "I'm still the leader in this family", and will send you to take a contract from Nazir while she thinks about it. Upon asking for contracts from Nazir, if you have already completed your first three contracts, then Nazir will give you two new contracts, Kill Hern and Kill Lurbuk; if you have not, then he will complain that you still have contracts to complete and urge you to get on with them. Either way, though, this quest will complete.
- Should you choose to disregard Astrid's orders and proceed to Volunruud on your own, you will be able to receive the contract but not act on it until killing at least one of the Nazir's contract targets. You must kill at least one contract target after completing this quest and then return to the sanctuary in order to start The Silence Has Been Broken, which will start when Astrid talks to you (before you collect your pay from Nazir).
- If you close the Iron Door you open to enter the room and enter the tomb, Cicero cannot walk into the room and attempt to speak to the Night Mother, leaving you inside the tomb in mid cut-scene.
- If you save while in the tomb and reload it, wait an hour and the quest goes on as normal.
- Or (PC only), you can open the console, enter "prid 00080E17", then enter in "unlock". After that, close the console and wait an hour. The quest will continue as normal after that.
- When Astrid tells you to go talk to Nazir for more side contracts, Nazir may not have any quest options available. This is possibly caused by the targets from Nazir's next contract having already been killed.
setstage DB04 200in the console fixes this. This will complete the Whispers in the Dark quest and allow you to get the next quest from Astrid. The only thing you will have missed are the two contracts Nazir gives.
- This can also be fixed by deactivating the quest while inside of the Sanctuary, exiting to the outside, and reactivating the quest. Proceed to follow through with the quest as normal and the bug should be fixed.
- This can also be fixed by skipping straight to Volunruud and speaking with Amaund Motierre to recieve the quest The Silence Has Been Broken. (Quest Journal will NOT update and NO dialogue options will be given but quest can be completed via following the walkthrough) The only thing you will have missed are the two contracts Nazir gives and any dialoue. Worked for PS3.
 Quest Stages
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 1, 255.
|Prev: Mourning Never Comes||Up: Dark Brotherhood||Next: Kill Narfi, Kill Beitild, Kill Ennodius Papius, Kill Hern and/or Kill Lurbuk, followed by The Silence Has Been Broken|