|Respawn Time||10 days or 30 days|
|Console Location Code(s)|
|ValtheimKeepExterior01, ValtheimKeepExterior02, ValtheimKeepExterior03|
|East of Whiterun, along the White River|
|# of Alchemy Labs||1|
|# of Clay DepositsHF||1|
|# of Corundum||1|
|# of Iron||1|
The towers straddle the White River along the main road east of Whiterun. They support a stone bridge that spans the river high above. Along the road just outside the southern tower is a cookpot often attended by a bandit who will attempt to extort a toll when approached. The southern tower contains a chest at its base, rigged with a swinging mace trap. The trigger may be deactivated by picking a leveled lock. Stairs inside rise to the second level, from which an exterior wooden ramp leads up to the bridge and the third floor of the tower. At the top is a platform normally guarded by an archer. A second archer patrols the bridge between the towers.
Across the bridge, the northern tower has two interior levels, with a dresser on the first floor and an alchemy lab on the second. A copy of the Archery skill book The Black Arrow, V2 can be found on the bedside table on the second level. Above this is a platform where you can find the bandit chief, who carries a randomly enchanted weapon. A randomly enchanted bow can normally be found abandoned on the table here.
The first floor has a second door leading out onto the mountains. An iron ore vein is located immediately north of the door, and to the right is stationed another archer whose chair is near a corundum ore vein. There is a second corundum vein a short distance to the east of this.
 Related Quests
- Amulet of the Moon: Find the Moon Amulet for Kharjo. (radiant)
- Dungeon Delving: Do a favor by retrieving an item from a bandit hideout. (radiant)
- Trouble in Skyrim: Fulfill a contract for the Companions to clear out a troublesome area. (radiant)
- In the local map, Valtheim Towers is designated "Valtheim Keep".
- The treasure chest marked on Treasure Map II is just east of the southern tower.
- One clay depositHF can be found near the river bank on the opposite side.
- If you approach the bandit who demands the toll in a different form, like beast form or vampire lord, they will still demand money, even if you are attacking.
- There seems to be an issue with the "Intimidate" option when dealing with the bandit that demands the toll. If your intimidation is successful, 200 gold is still removed from your inventory.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.0 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- Aela the Huntress might send you here for the Striking the Heart quest and there will be no enemies. This makes the quest un-completable and prevents you from advancing in the Companions questline. There currently is no known workaround besides reloading an old save file.
- If you pay the 200 gold to the bandit, it doesn't seem to get transferred to her inventory, so you cannot pickpocket, or kill her to get it back.
- It may not be possible to pick up the enchanted bow in the northern tower. Saving and loading the new save fixed the problem.
- Sometimes when the bandit leader is killed the dungeon will not be marked as cleared. Reloading a save and killing him again does not solve this problem.