|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Oblivion NPC Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. If you make an addition to this page, please update this template accordingly, but make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
|Home City||Imperial City, Talos Plaza District|
|House||Ontus Vanin's House|
|Health||43 + (3+1.4)x(PC+4), PC=1-20|
|Magicka||113 + 7.5x(PC+4) (max=250)|
|Faction(s)||IC Citizens; Ontus Vanin|
Ontus Vanin is retired from the Mages Guild. He "sleeps late and reads trashy books". After spending 40 years at the Arcane University, he's completely useless and proud of it. He is still officially considered to be a researcher at the university; because of that connection, Hrormir's Icestaff is returned to Ontus' house during the Thieves Guild quest Misdirection. He lives in the Imperial City Talos Plaza District.
Ontus wears a pair of gold trimmed shoes and a white mage's robe. He carries around a random staff and a steel longsword for protection. He also has the key to his house and some gold. Ontus knows a leveled set of battlemage spells.
He can be found in his house between about 10 AM and 12 PM, when he will lock his doors and boot you out. He then proceeds to wander the Talos Plaza District, going to The Tiber Septim Hotel.
 Unique Dialogue
I spent 40 years at the Arcane University. Good years, but I don't miss it. Now I'm completely useless, and proud of it.
- He is not an essential NPC during the game (even though he plays a role in the Misdirection quest) so he can be killed.
- Because he is no longer a member of the Mages Guild, Mages Guild members can murder him without expulsion.
- Once you have read Modern Heretics or spoken with Ulene Hlervu about "Cheydinhal", a new "Daedra shrines" conversation topic will appear. When you speak to Ontus about this, he will mark Hircine's Shrine, Mephala's Shrine, and Vaermina's Shrine on your map.
- After the Fighter's Stronghold official plug-in is installed, Ontus suffers from the Mystic Emporium Bug and will often be found standing just outside the store, unable to enter.
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Official Mods Patch.
- Ontus actually dislikes Mages Guild members: he has a -5 disposition modifier towards Mages Guild members. Since this modifier is multiplied by your Mages Guild rank, when you become Arch-Mage, Ontus will have a -50 disposition adjustment to you. This is generally enough to make him attack you on sight, especially as he has slightly higher aggression than most NPCs. This can lead to the guards and townspeople coming to your assistance, then fighting and killing each other as a result of accidental hits.
- To prevent him from attacking you when you advance through the Mages Guild, the easiest strategy is to be sure to talk to Ontus early in the game and use the Speechcraft minigame to boost his disposition as high as possible.
- If you missed the chance to raise his disposition early in the game, a combination of Calm and Charm spells can stop him attacking, then you can raise his disposition in the Speechcraft minigame.
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.