Quick Walkthrough
- Talk to Vilena Donton and Modryn Oreyn to receive your next assignment.
- Find Maglir in Skingrad and question him about his defaulted contract.
- Complete the contract by finding Brenus Astis's lost journal in Fallen Rock Cave.
- Decide whether to cover up for Maglir or not.
- Return to Modryn Oreyn for your reward.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 Chorrol Fighters Guild
After having completed Azzan's and Burz gro-Khash's initial contracts, you are told to speak to Fighters Guild Master Vilena Donton in Chorrol. Upon arriving in Chorrol, people on the street may comment: "I heard Fighters Guild got the Fallen Rock contract, but the guy is just sitting around drinking beer." and "It's a simple job. Go get a journal from Fallen Rock Cave. Shouldn't that be a cinch for a Fighter Guild contract?" You may also hear a tragic tale about the local Fighters Guild chapter: "Vilena is pretty useless since Vitellus died. Thank gods Oreyn is around to keep things together."
When approached in the local guild hall, a sad Vilena Donton will bid you welcome and share a few philosophies, but will also prove the gossipers right and point you towards her second-in-command, Modryn Oreyn, for your next assignment. Modryn turns out to be rather hostile to newcomers, and with good reason. After a few patronizing comments, he will task you with finding Maglir, another new recruit who defaulted on a contract in Skingrad.
 If You Want It Done Right...
While it is possible to follow the map marker to Maglir, asking around town will net you some information as well: "The Bosmer? I've seen him at the West Weald Tavern. Been there for days, from what I hear. Better go see him." and even "Oh. Him. He's been around. Mostly at the West Weald staring at the bottom of a flagon of ale." Inside the West Weald Inn you will find Maglir hanging out in the bar, doing absolutely nothing. When approached he will claim to be underpaid and will explain that he was supposed to pick up Brenus Astis' Journal - which was reported to be in Fallen Rock Cave - and will show signs of things to come: "If you care that much, you go find it. The contract's yours. It's not worth it for what the Guild is paying. I've got a family to think about."
 Fallen Rock Cave
Although it is painfully clear that Maglir is not Fighters Guild material, Fallen Rock Cave turns out to be filled to the brink with undead enemies, so be on your guard. The diary can easily be reached by following the map marker to the northernmost chamber and jumping down the pit (see this section for details). Proceed north through the narrow tunnel to a small water-filled room with a minor loot chest in an alcove and a dead zombie. The diary sits right next to the chest so pick it up, backtrack to the entrance then read the latest quest update and decide what to do next.
 Another Rat Problem
With the diary in hand, you can either travel to Skingrad for another chat with Maglir or go straight to Modryn Oreyn in Chorrol and deliver the diary. Talking to Maglir at this point makes no difference and the coward Bosmer will even pretend he doesn’t care whether you tell Modryn the truth and proceed to ramble about his family and the low paycheck. In Chorrol, Modryn Oreyn will be quick to ask you what happened in Skingrad. Even if Maglir seemed indifferent, your answer will affect the More Unfinished Business quest, when Maglir defaults on yet another contract in Bravil.
- If you choose to rat out on Maglir now, you will receive 1 fame point, but Maglir will not help you in Bravil.
- If you choose to be loyal to Maglir and lie to Oreyn, you will miss out on the increased fame, but Maglir will help you later on.
Regardless of your choice, Modryn will hand you a level-dependent gold reward and express mixed feelings for Maglir. Speaking to him again will net you another contract, namely the quest Drunk and Disorderly.
- If you encounter any ghosts or wraiths in Fallen Rock Cave, be sure to keep some of their ectoplasm. You will need five samples for the next quest, Drunk and Disorderly.
- You will only encounter ghosts or wraiths if you are at least level 6 when you enter the cave.
- If you told Modryn that Maglir did not default on his contract, the rumor that circulates about this quest after its completion will speak of "a cover-up with the Fighters Guild's Fallen Rock Cave contract".
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.
- If you started the quest by seeing Burz gro-Khash then Vilena Donton will have nothing to say to you.
 Journal Entries
- Not all Journal Entries may appear in your journal; which entries appear and which entries do not depends on the manner in which the quest is done.
- Stages are not always in order of progress. This is usually the case with quests that have multiple possible outcomes or quests where certain tasks may be done in random order.
- If an entry is marked as "Finishes Quest" it means the quest disappears from the Active Quest list, but you may still receive new entries for that quest.
- On the PC, it is possible to use the console to advance through the quest by entering
setstage FGD01Default stage, where
stageis the number of the stage you wish to complete. It is not possible to un-complete (i.e. go back) quest stages. See SetStage for more information.
|Prev: The Unfortunate Shopkeeper and
The Desolate Mine
|Up: Fighters Guild||Next: Drunk and Disorderly|