Skyrim:The Throat of the World
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Talk to Paarthurnax.
- Learn the Word of Power from Paarthurnax.
- Use your "Fire Breath" shout on Paarthurnax.
- Talk to Paarthurnax.
 Detailed Walkthrough
When you enter High Hrothgar and tell Arngeir that you need to learn the shout used to defeat Alduin, he will be quite shocked at this and ask where you learned about it. If you refuse to tell him, he will not help you. You can either tell him that you learned it from Alduin's Wall or that you were talking to the Blades. In either case, he will be strongly offended by this and refuse to deal with you. Einarth may, depending on your answers to Arngeir, chastise him for his line of questioning. If he does, Einarth will say, "Arngeir. Rek/Rok los Dovahkiin, Strundu'ul. Rek/Rok fen tinvaak Paarthurnax." meaning, "Arngeir. She/He is Dovahkiin, Stormcrown. She/He will speak (with) Paarthurnax." resulting in a hasty apology. Follow Arngeir out into the courtyard, where you will be taught all three words of the shout Clear Skies. Use it to clear away the damaging mist that blocks the path onward. Continue to blow away any mist that you encounter as you follow the path to the summit of the Throat of the World by shouting when needed.
As it turns out, Paarthurnax is a dragon. As you approach, he will land and greet you with: "Drem Yol Lok. Greetings, wunduniik. I am Paarthurnax. Who are you? What brings you to my strunmah ... my mountain?" After you explain your objective, he'll respond: "Drem. Patience. There are formalities that must be observed, at the first meeting of two of the dov. By long tradition, the elder speaks first. Hear my Thu'um! Feel it in your bones. Match it, if you are Dovahkiin!" He'll then shoot a bout of flame onto a wall and encourage you to participate in "tinvaak" (loosely translated, "conversation").
Inspect the word he left behind to learn a new Shout, and Paarthurnax will grant you his knowledge of it, saying "A gift, Dovahkiin. Yol. Understand Fire as the dov do. Now, show me what you can do. Greet me not as mortal, but as dovah!" Use this new shout on Paarthurnax. He will agree with the opinions voiced by Greybeards that "the dragonblood runs strong in you", even if you are a "joor" (mortal), and offer to answer your questions.
Upon asking about Dragonrend, he will admit that he was expecting this, as "Alduin and Dovahkiin return together". Though he doesn't know the shout, he believes it could be learned by returning to the beginning of the "Tiid-Ahraan", the Time-Wound on the Throat of the World using an Elder Scroll, or "Kel". It was there that the first Tongues Paarthurnax taught to use the Thu'um defeated Alduin, and it was there that the Dragonrend shout was first used. If you can acquire an Elder Scroll and bring it back to him, you may be able to manipulate the Time-Wound and travel back to Alduin's first defeat. As the quest ends, the dragon admits he has no idea where to find an Elder Scroll. Your quest log suggests you talk to Arngeir, or alternatively, you can speak to Esbern for more information.
- You can use the Become Ethereal shout to stroll through the mist, except for the first cloud of mist; passage through it requires Clear Skies.
- If you unlock the word yourself, at just the right time, before Paarthurnax gives you his "understanding", he will teach you the second word for Fire Breath instead of the first (or the third if you started out knowing the second).
- Paarthurnax will say that he is teaching you Yol, no matter which Word the wall actually teaches you.
- It is possible to climb to the very top without going through the temple and the barriers.
- Paarthurnax and your follower may become hostile towards each other. In addition to the possibility of harming your follower, this may also prevent you from talking to Paarthurnax.
- When speaking to Paarthurnax for the first time, leaving the mountain when you have the objective 'Use your "Fire Breath" Shout on Paarthurnax' gives you a very short cooldown time on all shouts, meaning shouts like Fire Breath will be ready seconds after being used.
- Choose the Optional dialog and say you want to learn about:
|Fus||force||Force Without Effort||You stagger 25% less and foes stagger 25% more.||Augments power attacks and Unrelenting Force shout.|
|Feim||fade||Eternal Spirit||While Ethereal, you recover health 25% faster.||Only active and visible on Active Effects menu when using Become Ethereal shout.|
|Yol||fire||The Fire Within||Fire Breath shout deals 25% more damage.|
These increase the respective shout capabilities. You can only have one active at a time.
- You may be unable to learn the Clear Skies shout.
- As you talk to Paarthurnax, he may fly up high, above the mountain, and begin circling. You may continue your conversation, though you cannot hear him, so it is advised you turn subtitles on. This does not otherwise impede the progress of the quest.
- If you have already completed The White Phial when doing this quest it is safer to make sure you store any briar hearts you have in containers before completing this quest.
 Quest Stages
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 1, 20, 30, 35, 40, 50, 55, 65, 66, 67, 71, 72, 80, 81, 82, 85, 86, 95, 110, 125, 130, 150, 180, 190, 195, 205, 210, 220.
|Prev: Alduin's Wall||Up: Main Quest||Next: Elder Knowledge|