Skyrim talk:Vlindrel Hall
 Buying After Stormcloaks Take City
The text mentions that you have to buy it from Raerek. What happens then after the Stormcloaks have taken the city and Raerek and the Jarl are moved to the basement in Solitude? — Unsigned comment by ZeNinjaHawk (talk • contribs) at 09:28 on 24 November 2011
- You would need the trust of the replacement Jarl and he would then give you permission to buy the house. (Eddie The Head 11:44, 25 November 2011 (UTC))
Would there be any connection between this house and Lord Berich Vlindrel of the Knights of the Nine? Just curious, since I can't find any books about it... 188.8.131.52 11:42, 25 November 2011 (UTC)
- Yeah I noticed that too, should that be mentioned in the article? 184.108.40.206 15:26, 15 January 2012 (UTC)
 Buying dialogue major bug.
Many people are having problems actually buying the house. There seems to be some significant issues getting the steward to actually give the buy dialogue options. This happens even when all requirements are met such as being level 20+, having good favor with town and jarl, doing all the bounty missions, doing the forsworn mission, etc.
At the end of this there is no way to receive it.
There should be a temporary suggestion made as to how people can simply cheat and use the console to enable the options, or simply update the quest manually to enable the house to be bought and/or furnished. — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) at 08:14 on 28 November 2011
- Edit: here is the solution to people with this bug. It is technically cheating with the console but it should enable players to enjoy the house until the cs is released and we can put together a fix.
- Console command: setstage favor250 20
- favor250 is the quest for becoming thane of Markarth
- stage 20 is when you have bought a house and done 5/5 objectives.
- After becoming thane by talking to the Jarl, you can then talk to his steward, and he will finally sell you a house, for some stupid reason. — Unsigned comment by 18.104.22.168 (talk) at 09:11 on 28 November 2011
- I had this crop up yesterday on a new character. I'd done Forsworn Conspiracy and No One Escapes from Cidhna, then after wishing to buy the house from the Jarl the steward only spouted stock phrases with no conversation options. I read farther down this discussion page where someone had done a bounty quest to open things up, so I ran out to the Silver Blood Inn and got a bounty quest, which I completed. Then I went to the steward and got my reward. The steward still wouldn't talk to me about the house, but it did open up the Jarl's conversation options regarding his errands that had to be completed. So, after doing two jobs for him, including recovering the shield, he talked about how buying the house was necessary to be named Thane, and at that point the steward would actually talk about it and sell the house. Anyone else having problems should give this a try. QuillanTalk 17:20, 5 February 2012 (UTC)
- The console fix did not work for me and I could not get work even from the inn keeper. I checked the state of the quest with "getstage" in the console and it said that it was at stage 200. I have to assume that somewhere, for some reason, it randomly set it there and broke it completely. Maybe someone will put out a fix to keep it from doing that. In the meantime I tried "resetquest favor250," but now it's stuck on stage 0. Both "setstage" and "setobjectivecompleted" do nothing.— Unsigned comment by 71.184.342.12 (talk) at 21:57 on 15 March 2012
- Setstage to 10, 15, or 20 isn't enabling any of these options for me, either. I've also tried getting the dungeon-delving quest active, but neither favor157 nor favor250 are accepting my setstage console commands. I have a theory that, to prevent some bug with the Ciddhna mine quest, someone had the game check the stage of the other quests, and then set it to a "pause" stage, that stage being 200; except, if there's two such quests, it's possible for the player to finish the quests without getting it set back to the initial stage. I'll make a post again later if I figure out a way to get it working, but it's not looking good, because the civil war's the FIRST thing I did on this character. 22.214.171.124 06:04, 2 August 2012 (UTC)
- Turns out although the quests Favor157 and Favor250 were stuck on stage 200 for me for quite some time, they reset after I finished the Taste of Death - the quest whose leadin you get from Brother Verulus. I'd also completed the quest in the Abandoned House, and Escape from Ciddna Mine. After The Taste of Death was completed, the Jarl gave me the Dungeon Delving quest, followed by the thane quest - and receiving the Thane quest triggered Raerek to offer me a chance to buy the house after all. I'm not sure if my experience is typical, but if you're seemingly stuck, unable to become thane or buy the house, try finishing all the other quests you can based in Markarth. 126.96.36.199 09:04, 2 August 2012 (UTC)
Is there a bug noted for the 360 with the bookshelves? I've run into a glitch with the bookshelves in Vlindrel Hall which allows me to put books onto the shelves, but if they are removed, the books duplicate, one in the inventory, one in the shelves, and the shelves become impossible to access again. — Unsigned comment by 188.8.131.52 (talk) at 03:53 on 9 December 2011
- I seem to have a bug with the bookshelves here. I filled shelves with notes, recipes, etc, so those single leafs of paper things. then I removed some, and later used the free space to store normal books on the shelf. After this the shelf only has those papers on it, not showing any books - when interacting with the shelf and looking at the contents, the books are there. So somehow it renders the books as "notes", graphically. Not sure if this just started after the installation of DB and DG. Didn't notice this in any other building. 184.108.40.206 14:15, 19 April 2013 (GMT)
 Weapon Plagues
- Solved There is a bug where if you purchase just the house and enter without any of the upgrades the weapon plaques/racks will not work. You must purchase the house and upgrades all together at once then enter and they should be working. ~ (GearlockT) 13:18, 22 December 2011 (UTC)
- You can try shooting them with an arrow. I fixed a weapon plaque that wasn't activate-able in Solitude by doing that. 220.127.116.11 21:21, 18 January 2012 (UTC)
- I believe the recent update for the consoles has fixed this bug. I hadn't been able to use them before and hadn't tried punching them, but I was suddenly able to use them and the sword racks after the recent update. Melleh17 19:42, 11 February 2012 (UTC)
- You can try shooting them with an arrow. I fixed a weapon plaque that wasn't activate-able in Solitude by doing that. 18.104.22.168 21:21, 18 January 2012 (UTC)
 Purchase house without doing anything
For some odd reason I arrived at the city for the first time, went to the jarl and he said I could talk to his steward if I wished to purchase a house. Bought the house and all upgrades with no issue. GearlockT 13:36, 22 December 2011 (UTC)
- I will test my game (Xbox 360) to see if the same thing happens to me. I will get back to you on that soon.--DarthWeezie 04:02, 3 May 2012 (UTC)
 Initiating Jarl's Shield quest
I can't get the quest to initiate, but I'm past level 20. When I talk to the Jarl about wanting to buy the house he says he doesn't know me enough. When I try to talk to the steward the dialog box won't open. Does this seem to be a glitch or do I need to do more quests around Markarth on my own before I can do the shield quest? Melleh17 04:16, 27 December 2011 (UTC)
- Ok, I had to do a bounty quest first. Have the house now! Melleh17 09:17, 29 December 2011 (UTC)
 BUY THIS HOUSE FOR FREE!!!
I've purchased Breezehome, Proudspire Manor, Honeyside, and Vlindrel Hall for 0 gold each(haven't tried Hjerim yet, XBox). All you need is the minimum amount of gold to purchase the property and any type of container close to the steward.
1. Complete all the respective Thane tasks so you can purchase property AND have the minimum amount of gold to purchase the house.
2. Check for a nearby lootable container close to the steward (chest, dresser, guard body, sack, ect...)
4. Make sure you SAVED!!!
5. Buy the house/decorations and immediately exit the conversation and open the container.
6. Deposit all of your gold in the container and exit the container menu. You'll know you own the house when the steward gives you the key and decorating guide AND NO GOLD REMOVED! They'll just continue their dialogue for the decorations.
7. Repeat as necessary.
WHITERUN - This is a bit tricky. Try catching the steward after he wakes up in the morning. After he leaves his bedroom in the Jarl's Quarters on the second floor, he'll pass by a chest that's under the table with the civil war map on it. If you can't catch him, wait by his bed while he's sleeping and talk to him so he wakes up. Let him start to get back in bed and wait until around 10am or a little later and he should still be getting in bed. He will then get out of bed and proceed towards the door to Dragonsreach. Beat him through it and catch him as he passes the chest.
MARKARTH - There is a dwarven chest on the right as you face the steward.
RIFTEN - There are long, short chests on either side of the throne.
SOLITUDE - Behind Falk Firebeard there is a cupboard.
WINDHELM - I haven't tried this one yet because of a bug related to the Blood On The Ice quest. I didn't notice any containers near the steward in the Palace of the Kings so a process similar to aquiring Breezehome in Whiterun may need to be used. Or if you don't mind killing a guard and dragging his body closer. Or creatively exploiting Beast Form to kill a guard without a fine(don't get caught transforming).
Try this in other in-game transactions as well(carriages, mercenaries... Hint: bodies are moveable containers and rabbits and foxes are very easy to move!)
IMPORTANT!!! After purchasing the house and all the upgrades make sure all the weapon/shield plaques/cases/racks function properly. I purchased Breezehome and entered the house before purchasing any upgrades and returned again after purchasing the upgrades to find none of the plaques in working order. (I bought the house from the steward around 4am in the Jarl's Quarters and the furnishings option wasn't available. Around 10am I returned and bought the decorations in Dragonsreach and the racks didn't work.)
Add notes and comments if you have trouble or this works for you. I'll update if I can get this to work for Hjerim.
--Dlsmith08 09:55, 29 December 2011 (UTC)
- The first house I got for free this way, I thought was it was an unintended bug. But every steward selling houses just happens to have a container within arm's reach that's not locked? Sounds like a gift, kinda like Creeper. Just odd that they would do it this way, taking advantage of the few seconds before gold is removed from your inventory. That's more of an exploit than an easter egg. --Trep35 17:45, 28 January 2012 (UTC)
 Why can't you renovate this area?
I can't seem to renovate the area in the back of the house to the right, it's filled with cobwebs and has dark corners, and the Steward doesn't give me the option to have any more renovations, because I've bought them all. Is this a bug or is it supposed to be like this? — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 20:07 on 7 January 2012
- It becomes furnished when you become Thane of Markarth and the Yarl gives you the housecarl, as he will move into that room. Just talk to the Yarl about anything else he may need to initiate the Thane quest. Melleh17 21:39, 7 January 2012 (UTC)
 No One Escapes Cidhna Mine and Vlindrel Hall
I have completed the said quest beforehand (aligning with the forsworns) and was still able to purchase Vlindrel Hall after completing a few errand missions for the Jarl. Then I was also able to receive the "Help the people from the Reach" quest from the Jarl and become Thane. Raerek normally has no dialogue, but once the Jarl has granted permission to the purchase of Vlindrel Hall, the related dialogue options on Raerek open normally. I did the Imperial questline. Given the other notes that proves Rebel's Cairn and the Stormcloak questline to be also irrelevant, I'm removing this section altogether, as for now. --126.96.36.199 18:38, 9 January 2012 (UTC)
- For a quick reference of the other two notes I was talking about:
Some of the above may not be correct for all as it was not the case for me on the PC. My character is both a homeowner in Markarth and a Thane of The Reach but has never completed Rebel's Cairn. She has read The Legend of Red Eagle, though, and of course completed Dungeon Delving and the requisite 5 quests for citizens around Markarth. She did have 8,000 gold when speaking to Steward Raerek, but has not completed No One Escapes Cidhna Mine. No console commands were used to achieve this, it occurred in the regular course of gameplay.
I was able to buy the home, even though I had escaped Cidhna Mine, I had done Red Eagle, but not Dungeon Delving. I completed the Stormcloak quest chain and approached the new Jarl Thongvar Silver-Blood, who asked me to help the people which I already had. I was then able to buy the house and furnishings from Reburrus Quintilius. (PC).
 Markarth's father's shield quest.
I didn't do this quest instead I did escape from cydna mine, and was giving the ability to buy the house, I sided with the imperials in the war mabey that has something to do with It. 188.8.131.52 23:50, 4 February 2012 (UTC)
 I Can Finally Buy Vlindrel Hall (after steward's silent treatment)!!
I really have no way of telling you what did it, b/c i've done SO much since then... but just did "season unending" thru "dragonslayer" tonight & decided to see if, as an imperial (only took oath to further main questline, then on to season unending where I gave the stormcloaks markarth for riften would've changed the housecarl of markarth. it didn't... BUT wlhen I spoke w/him I had but one dialouge option: I'd like to purchase a house in the city =)
my thoughts are it was the change in JARLS that reset him... can anyone confirm? I first tried to buy this house @level 25... & i'm level 51 before I finally manage it =P — Unsigned comment by 184.108.40.206 (talk) at 09:11 on 13 March 2012
 Thieves Cache outside front door.
After purchasing this home I noticed that there was a barrel out front labeled "Thieves Cache" as well as a sack. Has anyone else seen this and know if they respawn? Is this along the lines of the Guild Masters Chest in The Ragged Flaggon? — Unsigned comment by Fubarfrank09 (talk • contribs) at 13:52 on 17 March 2012
- Based on the Creation Kit data, there are actually three of these in or around each major city, but they're only enabled after you complete certain quests. The one for Markarth, for instance, is Silver Lining. – Robin Hood↝talk 04:11, 11 April 2012 (UTC)
 Well Rested
Sleeping on your bed inside Vlindrel hall does not seem to give you the well rested bonus effect.
Actually, it does give you the well rested bonus effect, it's just a visual glitch, after resting it won't appear on the screen that you awaken feeling well rested. But if you check the Magic Effects, the well rested bonus is there. Playing on version 220.127.116.11.4 — Unsigned comment by 18.104.22.168 (talk) on 20 March 2012
 Taking this out.
This line doesn't say anything about Vlindrel Hall. The info stated here is condensed in the Thanes page.
"If you manage to change the Jarl somehow, the new Jarl will offer you to become a Thane if you are level 20 or higher. One way to change the Jarl is joining the Stormcloaks. Also if you managed to change the Jarl during the Main Quest (Markarth is under the reign of Ulfric now), you may join Imperial Legion and switch the Jarl again. Then Igmund will become the Jarl again but this time he will give you the quest and eventually he will ask you to be a Thane."MetalJoe 04:44, 5 May 2012 (UTC)
 Alchemy room seems to respawn
I've had Vlindrel Hall for quite some time now, and the Alchemy room now seems to have respawned for the third time. I usually clean out all barrels and sacks once I buy a house, as well as grab all reagents and soul gems etc off the shelves, but this room has been refilled repeatedly now. Haven't tried out whether storage is actually safe in there or also affected by that "feature". I have made my housecarl a Blade, so the house is completely empty for many consecutive days - just in case this has any influence. WooShell
 visit Vlindrel Hall, your new house does not clear from list
The misc quest line "visit Vlindrel Hall, your new house" doesn't clear from the active qeuest line.
Initial problem: I started by talking to the Jarl for work and after completing 2 small quests I was told that I could buy the house and that I should talk to his stuward for that. I bought the house and all upgrades in 1 go. Only after that did I visit the house and there the quest did not clear. I returned to the Jarl and since I had enough favor from the people I was made Thane and got the housecarl. Still the "visit Vlindrel Hall, your new house" did not clear.
Most likely the problem was caused by buying everything in 1 go and not visiting the hosue just after buying it without the upgrades.
I tried several commands to advance the quest that way. The quest seems to be marked as "housepurchase" and set to stage 10 but trying eny number of stages doesn't clear it. The sqs <quest ID> command seems to show only 1 quest stage: 10 The movetoqt <QuestID> command moves me to the door of the house but entering still doesn't clear the quest. completequest <quest ID> command removes the map marker and makes it look like the quest has been completed but the quest doesn't move from the active list of quests.
Anyone had to problem before or knows how to fix this? (i do have an older save that's from before I even start the quests for the Jarl, but I it is several hours older and I only wish to use as last hope to solve this. — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 21:03 on 24 September 2012
- This problem has also happened to me. I've actually loaded a save before I bought upgrade stop see if that was the problem- still didn't clear from the quest log. I seem to have the same problem with Proudspire Manor too. However, this may be a mod doing this to me, though I can't recall any mods that affect Vlindrel Hall in anyway for me. Most I can suggest for the time being is to just ignore it :/ --MercZ (talk) 06:01, 2 October 2012 (GMT)
 Vlindriel Hall, alchemy station bug
I have both Dawnguard and Hearthfire DLC's installed. Back when there was just the DG DLC, there was a bug with Breezehome in Whiterun where players could not buy the alchemy lab, option never disappeared from steward's list. With HF DLC this issue got fixed, or so we thought. Bethesda apparently has causes now the exact same problem with Vlindriel Hall in Markarth. I did the quests for the city people, for Jarl (both general and personal ones) and was given an option to buy the house, which I did. However now the alchemy lab cannot be bought, it remains on the list and won't go away. For Breezehome someone came up with a fix using console commands, anyone can tell whether the same commands could be used in this case, and what would be the code(s)? Oh, and this is happening on a PC. — Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk) at 10:03 on 7 October 2012
- I use prid e2d55 then enable in console command, but I don't know how to remove the spider webs.GePandhega (talk) 18:44, 15 December 2012 (GMT)
I was really stupid and spawned a great deal of gold in Vlindrel Hall and now whenever I enter it my game, unsurprisingly, crashes. Is there any possible way I could reset the inside of the house? — Unsigned comment by 188.8.131.52 (talk) at 00:01 on 13 January 2013
- Maybe try the prid console commands with the decorate codes from here. -Gristlemcthornbody (talk) 00:22, 4 February 2013 (GMT)
 Prid code for Childrens bedroom?
I am having trouble with all of the houses not giving me the children's bedroom or alchemy station options. the alchemy prid code is on the talk page but what is the prid code for the children's bedroom in vlindrel hall? — Unsigned comment by 184.108.40.206 (talk) at 08:14 on 30 January 2013
- I'm also with this same problem, PATCH unofficial not solved for me. — Unsigned comment by Metal33br (talk • contribs) at 23:48 on 12 July 2013
- Here is the solution:
- If you have alchemy lab installed, empty it otherwise you lose everything in it. Then, save below to batch file, execute in console (replace HF with your HearthFire load ID number):
;disable alchemy lab prid e2d55 disable ;disable room errata that would block child furniture prid HF004205 disable ;enable child bedroom prid HF004206 enable
- Result of above code: Alchemy lab disappears, child bedroom appears.
- To reverse, swap "disable" and "enable" on above code. Note: You must exit the house and re-enter to see changes. Does not correct spiderwebs in corner of room, sorry. 220.127.116.11 07:17, 4 September 2013 (GMT)
 Dagger display case in main room
Does this case have a dagger when you first buy the house and all decorations? I found it open and empty, but heard the noise a weapon makes when falling once or twice randomly while I was raiding the house for ingredients and so on, so it may have had one that fell through the case.--Playerseekingbugs (talk) 19:42, 1 February 2013 (GMT)
 Vlindrel Hall and the Forsworn Quest
I've removed the following bug from the list:
After completing The Forsworn Conspiracy and No One Escapes Cidhna Mine you may not be able to buy this house because there will be no dialogue option to do something for the Jarl of Markarth.
The information is invalid and not a bug because Favor157 has a level requirement on it that you be above level 20 before the quest will be given. The console command which was listed was also taken out because it also was invalid. Story Manager quests cannot be started via the console. Arthmoor (talk) 04:50, 9 April 2013 (GMT)
 Merchants Chests
It is interesting to note that the 5 merchant chests belonging to Spouses are placed in this cell, hovering in the empty void below. Unreachable by normal means, they are put below the floor close to the entrance of the Cell, and thus inaccessible, due to being placed somewhat far below and offset to the left-hand side of the door. The chests are obviously used accordingly to the professions of the spouse; there are chests for Apothecary, Blacksmiths, Spellmakers, InnKeepers and Misc Goods.MarukiTheFaceHater (talk) 05:01, 23 November 2014 (GMT)