|This article is being developed as part of the Skyrim Houses Redesign Project. If you see this tag it means the article can still be improved. Please see the project page for guidelines.|
|# of Zones||1|
|Respawn Time||Never (storage is safe)|
|Console Location Code(s)|
|# of Alchemy Labs||1|
|# of Arcane Enchanters||1|
|# of Cooking Pots/Spits||1|
To purchase this home, you must first complete the prerequisite quests for Thane of the Reach. If Igmund is Jarl, you must complete Kill the Forsworn Leader, followed by Dungeon Delving, the latter of which requires you to be at least level 20. If Thongvor Silver-Blood becomes Jarl, either due to the events of The Battle for Fort Sungard or Season Unending, he will grant you permission to buy it out of gratitude for your efforts in making him Jarl. You can purchase the house from the Jarl's Steward for 8,000 gold once you have been given permission.
Once purchased, the Steward will provide you with a book, Markarth Home Decorating Guide, which details the various house upgrades available from him, for a final cost of 12,200 gold.
 NPCs Living Here
 Costs and Upgrades
|Home and Upgrades
|Raerek or Reburrus Quintilius||Price to purchase home||8,000||Housecarl||Argis the Bulwark|
|Total cost of all upgrades||4,200|
|Bedroom furnishings||Living room furnishings||Alchemy laboratory||Enchanting laboratory||Entrance hall||Child's Bedroom†HF||Housecarl's Quarters|
|ID: (000e2d52)||ID: (000e2d53)||ID: (000e2d55)||ID: (000e2d56)||ID: (000e2d57)||ID: (xx004206)||ID: (000e2d54)|
|800 gold||900 gold||1000 gold||1000 gold||500 gold||700 gold||Become Thane of the Reach|
1 Arcane Enchanter
- Adopted children living here will have unique dialogue comments about Markarth:
- I climbed all the way up to the temple, but they said I wasn't old enough to get in. They're just mean. (girls)
- Banning said I could come play with his dogs. I want a dog. (girls)
- Aicantar let me see his museum. It's really nice. (boys)
- I hate Markarth. There's nowhere to play! It's all just rocks. Rocks rocks rocks. (boys)
- If you ask your spouse "How are the kids?" they may remark:
- All right. I do worry, though, no matter how many times the guards say Markarth is safe.
- There are a few bugs which affect all houses; see the bugs section of the Houses page for details and fixes.
- Filling the bookshelves with books and then quickly exiting the menu may result in the books disappearing forever.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.4 of the Official Skyrim Patch.
- After completing The Forsworn Conspiracy and No One Escapes Cidhna Mine, you may not be able to buy this house because there will be no dialogue option to do something for the Jarl of Markarth.
- If you completed these two quests before you were level 20, there is still a way to buy the house. During the quest Season Unending, General Tullius and Ulfric Stormcloak will negotiate an exchange of territories, which will include the Reach unless you are a Stormcloak. If the Reach is handed over to or conquered by the Stormcloaks during Liberation of Skyrim, Thongvar Silver-Blood will become the Jarl of Markarth. He will then give you the opportunity to become thane, and the subsequent option to purchase Vlindrel Hall. If you have joined the Legion and completed Reunification of Skyrim then this workaround is unavailable.
- Do not speak to Steward Raerek unless you have at least 8,000 gold. Speaking to him and not buying the home immediately has caused many players to lose the option to buy Vlindrel Hall forever.
- This can be fixed by entering
setstage Favor250 10in the console. The dialogue to become thane will reappear if you talk to Jarl Igmund, and once you are thane, the option to buy the house from Raerek will appear.
- If the above solution doesn't work, you can enter
setstage Favor250 15, which will advance the quest to the "help x citizens" stage. Speak with the jarl to become thane and afterwards speak with Raerek. The option to buy the house should re-appear.
- This can also be fixed by doing another quest to help a citizen of Markarth if one is available.[verification needed]
- This can be fixed by entering
- After purchasing the house, and gaining the quest to visit your new home, the quest marker may not point to Vlindrel Hall.