The Imperial Legion is the military force of the Empire of Tamriel. Serving under the authority of the Emperor, the Legion, with its vast numbers, quality training, and rigid discipline, is considered one of the most powerful fighting forces ever assembled. A history and detailed description of the Legion is provided here.
The Legion is a joinable faction in Skyrim, and its conflict with the Stormcloak Rebellion plays an integral role in the main quest. The Imperial Legion is in conflict with the Stormcloaks during Skyrim's Civil War, and is charged with hunting down and eradicating its members throughout the province and quelling the rebellion. The Imperial Legion in Skyrim is led by General Tullius.
Following your narrow escape from execution at Helgen during the quest Unbound, and just after the dragon there flies away from your immediate area, you will have a choice to follow either Hadvar or Ralof into Helgen Keep. If you choose Hadvar, and then from the keep either accompany him on the road to, or leave and rejoin him in Riverwood, he will invite you to join the Imperial Legion, or he might make the offer in Alvor's house in Riverwood. If you instead follow Ralof, you will be asked to join the Stormcloaks.
If you make no choice at that point, Imperial soldiers that you will encounter in your travels, or upon entering an Imperial camp will encourage you to join the Legion by going to Solitude, where you will be directed to Legate Rikke at Castle Dour. Speaking with her can initiate the quest Join the Imperial Legion.
Before you complete that quest, however, (or before you start it) you may instead decide to join the Stormcloaks. If you do so, the Join the Imperial Legion quest will fail if it has been initiated; however, you will have an opportunity to join the Legion later. At the end of the second quest for the Stormcloaks, The Jagged Crown, you can take the crown to General Tullius, who will admit you to the Legion.
- Joining the Legion: Prove yourself worthy to join the Imperial Legion. ( 10 pts/Bronze)
- The Jagged Crown: Find the Jagged Crown for the Imperials.
- Message to Whiterun: Deliver the message that will decide Whiterun's allegiance.
- Battle for Whiterun: Protect Whiterun from the Stormcloak invasion. (radiant)
- Reunification of Skyrim: Re-unite Skyrim under the leadership of the Empire. (radiant)
- A False Front: Find and deliver some forged documents to the Stormcloaks.
- The Battle for Fort Dunstad: Regain the Pale for the Imperials. (radiant)
- Compelling Tribute: Use a corrupt steward to gain intelligence on the Stormcloaks. (radiant)
- The Battle for Fort Greenwall: Take Fort Greenwall for the Imperials. (radiant) ( 10 pts/Bronze)
- The Battle for Fort Sungard: Take Fort Sungard for the Imperials. (radiant) ( 10 pts/Bronze)
- Rescue from Fort Kastav: Rescue the prisoners and regain Winterhold Hold for the Imperials. (radiant)
- The Battle for Fort Snowhawk: Take Fort Snowhawk for the Imperials. (radiant)
- The Battle for Fort Amol: Prepare for the final assault on Windhelm. (radiant)
|Auxiliary||Complete Joining the Legion|
|Quaestor||Complete Battle for Whiterun|
|Prefect||Complete The Battle for Fort Dunstad|
|Tribune||Complete The Battle for Fort Greenwall or The Battle for Fort Sungard|
|Legate||Complete Rescue from Fort Kastav|
Camps of Imperial Legion soldiers can be found in each hold of Skyrim except for Haafingar. These are marked on the map with the symbol of the Amulet of Kings. Depending on your progress in the Civil War questline, if you side with the Imperial Legion, these camps may not exist.
- Eastmarch Imperial Camp — A small Imperial camp in the hills of Eastmarch, southeast of Windhelm.
- Falkreath Imperial Camp — A small Imperial camp on the northwest tip of Falkreath Hold.
- Hjaalmarch Imperial Camp — An Imperial camp in Hjaalmarch, located south of Ustengrav.
- Pale Imperial Camp — An Imperial camp west of Dawnstar.
- Reach Imperial Camp — A small Imperial camp situated in the Reach, northeast of Markarth and west of Karthwasten. It only appears if the Stormcloaks gain control of the Reach.
- Rift Imperial Camp — A small Imperial camp in the Rift, located south of Ivarstead.
- Whiterun Imperial Camp — A small Imperial camp to the east of Rorikstead.
- Windhelm Military Camp — An Imperial camp southeast of Windhelm.
- Winterhold Imperial Camp — An Imperial camp southeast of Dawnstar.
- If you side with the Imperial Legion, you cannot join the Stormcloak rebellion.
- Joining the Imperial Army may cause random spawned groups of Stormcloak Soldiers to attack you, and you will not be welcome in Stormcloak camps anymore.
- As in the province of Morrowind, the Imperial Legion in Skyrim has an aesthetic based on the legions of ancient Rome. This homage is now referenced in the rank structure, whereas the Imperial Legion of Morrowind had a rank structure which had the theme of a chivalric order.