Skyrim:Message to Whiterun (Imperial)
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Deliver a message to the Jarl of Whiterun.
- Wait for the Jarl's response.
- Deliver Balgruuf's axe to Jarl Ulfric.
- Return to Whiterun and warn Jarl Balgruuf.
- Report to Legate Quentin Cipius.
 Detailed Walkthrough
General Tullius will hand you a note, explaining that he needs someone he can trust to deliver it and sets you the task to deliver it to the Jarl of Whiterun.
Travel to Whiterun and then to Dragonsreach, and speak to the Jarl. Give the message to the Jarl, and he will decide it is time to confront Ulfric. He will then give you a message (an axe) to deliver to Ulfric.
Now, travel to the city of Windhelm, and then to the Palace of the Kings. Ulfric tells you to return the axe back to where it came from and to expect a lot of excitement for Whiterun. Return back and talk to the Jarl, who will take back the axe and hand you back to the Legion.
Speak to Legate Quentin Cipius, and he will tell you that the Stormcloaks have arrived and it is battle time.
- Balgruuf will not agree to read the message before Dragon Rising has been completed.
- If you are on The World-Eater's Eyrie quest and Odahviing is still in Dragonsreach, you will not be able to deliver the message to Jarl Balgruuf.
- If you have a bounty in Whiterun, Legate Cipius will attempt to arrest you when you report to him. It would be a good idea to clear your bounty before reporting to Legate Cipius.
- Progressing through Season Unending while Message to Whiterun is active is not possible, see page for Season Unending for more details and workarounds.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.4 of the Official Skyrim Patch.
- On your return to Dragonsreach with the axe, other NPCs than the Jarl may start dialogues with you and ask for your immediate assistance in fending off the Stormcloak attack. If you do so without speaking to Balgruuf, the journal entry "Return to Whiterun and warn the Jarl" may never disappear.
- When Jarl Balgruuf and Proventus discuss Tullius's message, they may stop talking, leaving you unable to continue. Loading a previous save should fix this.
 Quest Stages
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 1, 2, 15, 30, 40, 199, 200, 230