Skyrim:Balgruuf the Greater
|Balgruuf the Greater
|Primary Skills||Heavy Armor, One-handed, Archery, Block|
|Faction(s)||CrimeFactionWhiterun; DragonsreachOccupants; Imperial Government; MQ201PartyGuestUnhappy; NPCs the Player cannot marry; Ruling Government; TownWhiterunFaction; faction for party guests|
Balgruuf the Greater is the Jarl of Whiterun in 4E 201, and a direct descendant of King Olaf One-Eye. An admirer of the Greybeards, Balgruuf had journeyed to High Hrothgar in his youth, though his attempts to learn the use of the thu'um did not succeed. He has carried on a rivalry with Ulfric Stormcloak since they both were young. He had multiple children, including Frothar, Dagny, and the youngest Nelkir. While considered to be an honorable warrior who puts his heart and soul into his service, he is also not considered a patient man. Following the White-Gold Concordat, which Balgruuf had no influence in negotiating, he was purportedly given chests of gold and told to accept the terms. However, he continued worshipping Talos privately. For more information, see the lore article.
Balgruuf is one of the first to discover the Dragonborn and point him or her to High Hrothgar. During the Skyrim civil war, the warring factions of the Stormcloaks and the Legion seek to gain Balgruuf as an ally, as Whiterun is prosperous, influential, and strategically located. While Balgruuf claims to be neutral, it is revealed he is more sympathetic towards the Empire than to Ulfric Stormcloak. If the player completes the Stormcloak quest, Battle for Whiterun, Balgruuf will be replaced with the new Jarl Vignar Gray-Mane. Balgruuf will move his family and companions from his home in Dragonsreach to the basement of the Blue Palace in Solitude.
- While the Jarl is on his throne in Whiterun, he may not be killed. However, attempting to do so will incur a normal 1000 bounty.
 Related Quests
- Before the Storm: Inform the Jarl of Whiterun about the dragon attack on Helgen.
- Bleak Falls Barrow: Retrieve the Dragonstone.
- Dragon Rising: Investigate a dragon sighting near Whiterun.
- Thane of Whiterun: Gain the title of Thane of Whiterun. (radiant)
- The Way of the Voice: Meet the Greybeards.
- Diplomatic Immunity: Infiltrate a party at the Thalmor Embassy.
- The Fallen: Capture and interrogate an ally of Alduin.
- Season Unending: Enforce a ceasefire to secure Dragonsreach.
- Message to Whiterun: Deliver an axe to the Jarl of Whiterun.
- Message to Whiterun: Deliver the message that will decide Whiterun's allegiance.
- Battle for Whiterun: Take Whiterun in the name of the Stormcloaks. (radiant)
- Battle for Whiterun: Protect Whiterun from the Stormcloak invasion. (radiant)
|This Skyrim-related article is a stub. You can help by .|