Skyrim:The Way of the Voice
 Quick Walkthrough
 Detailed Walkthrough
After you're finished in Whiterun, you'll want to head to Ivarstead, as it is located at the foot of the 7,000 Steps leading up to High Hrothgar. You'll have to walk to Ivarstead, so buying a horse may make the journey faster. Alternatively, you can pay for a carriage ride to Riften and head to Ivarstead from there. Once you get there and get close to the bridge, you'll hear a conversation. Talk to one of the men, Klimmek, and learn about what dangers are lurking ahead. You can take an optional quest from him to deliver supplies to the Greybeards.
 The 7,000 Steps
When you start on the trail up, you'll run across various leveled wildlife and monsters, and a couple of pilgrims. You will also find various stones giving you information on the history of the dragons and the Way of the Voice. Just after Emblem 4, at a point where the steps are sandwiched between two cliffs, there is a strong frost troll that will jump from the top of one cliff if it sees you. For low-level characters, it is suggested that you scale around the cliff to avoid it, or use ranged or magic attacks and stay out of reach while fighting it. Trolls are vulnerable to fire, so any fire magic available can help you defeat it. Alternatively, you could lure it back to Ivarstead and let the guards deal with it, but that might result in the unfortunate deaths of a few citizens. Fortunately, Ivarstead has very few quests attached to it.
 The Greybeards
After finally arriving at High Hrothgar, you'll be greeted by Master Arngeir, who speaks to you on behalf of the other Greybeards (whose voices are too powerful for conversation). After proving you are the Dragonborn by using the Unrelenting Force shout, they welcome you to their monastery and instruct you on how to use the dragon shouts, or Thu'um.
To further your training in the ways of the Thu'um, you will be taught the second word to the Unrelenting Force shout, Ro, and asked to practice it three times on ethereal targets that the Greybeards summon. Arngeir comments on how quickly you learn, then takes you outside for the next lesson. They teach you another word, Wuld, for Whirlwind Sprint. You'll be asked to practice it by using the shout to get through the gate Master Borri opens before it closes. When you're finished, Arngeir will send you on the last test: retrieving the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller.
One achievement is unlocked when you complete this quest:
- If you activate and read all ten plaques along the 7,000 Steps, you'll receive the blessing Voice of the Sky that causes wildlife to neither flee nor attack you for 24 hours.
- There appear to be only around 700 steps, but many may have been worn down or covered in snow over time.
- Despite the fact that, especially at higher levels, there are many dangerous wild animals along the 7,000 steps, the two pilgrims met along the way seem to be around the same level as the average bandit.
- With a horse and a little cunning, you can skip both the long trip to Ivarstead and climbing the 7,000 Steps altogether. Starting at the Whiterun Stormcloak Camp, you can ride almost straight up the mountain, bypassing the dangerous creatures and the tedious long climb with only moderate difficulty.
- The shout the Greybeards use to create the attack targets for learning Ro is Fiik Lo Sah, Mirror Deceive Phantom. It is not attainable by the player except through console codes.
- When you are asked to run through the gate before it closes using your new Whirlwind Sprint shout, you can make it through the gate in time using a regular sprint.
- Upon completion of this quest, you will gain access to the main quest of the Dragonborn expansion.
- If you have previously attained a dragon soul between this quest and Dragon Rising, you can unlock "Wuld" before you are given the knowledge of its power. This will result in the Greybeard giving you the second Whirlwind word without having to find the proper word wall. In order to do this, when you learn "Wuld" from the ground in the courtyard, immediately go into your shouts menu and use a dragon soul to upgrade the shout before the Greybeard can give you his knowledge. However, the next time you encounter a Word Wall containing the word "Na", you will not learn any word, and you will still be required to hunt down the final wall containing the word "Kest". This same trick can repeated with Paarthurnax in a later quest and carries the same penalty. However, it cannot be done with "Ro."
- Similar to the bug above if you have waited and received 'whirlwind' from a wordwall beforehand they will take notice and indicate that they will teach you 'Fury' (lvl 2). Doing the above trick will grant both Fury and Tempest (lvl3)
- If you enter High Hrothgar from the back door, the Greybeards don't congregate in the hall and the quest will not progress. Exit from the front door and reenter before speaking to Master Arngeir to progress
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2.4 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- If you leave High Hrothgar after being presented the word Ro, but before learning (absorbing) the word on the floor... the game in some cases may not let you learn the word when you return. This can also happen in very rare cases even if you do not leave (more likely to happen later in the game if you have put off doing the main quest). This bug makes the main quest line fail to continue. No workaround for this other than reloading a previous save from before the word is presented to you.
- When asked to demonstrate your Unrelenting Force shout after learning Ro, sometimes the targets summoned by the Greybeards fail to appear. A workaround appears to be possible by entering the "Items" menu. When accessed, the apparitions will materialize in the background. You can then exit the menu and target them with your shout.
- If you move around in the room while demonstrating your Unrelenting Force shout the targets may not react to it. To solve this stand next to Arngeir and use the shout on the targets.
- Sometimes there will be no option to say that you're "ready to learn" when speaking to Arngeir.
 Quest Stages
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 1, 5, 12, 15, 20, 25, 55, 56, 59, 60, 75, 76, 80, 82, 85, 90, 103, 105, 110, 115, 125, 127, 130, 140, 150, 180, 190, 200, 220, 240, 242, 245, 250, 255, 260, 265, 270, 280, 282, 284, 288, 290, 300.
|Prev: Dragon Rising||Up: Main Quest||Next: The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller|