|Primary Skills||Heavy Armor, One-handed, Archery, Block|
|Faction(s)||CWDialogueSoldierFaction; CWImperialFactionNPC; CWImperialFaction; CrimeFactionImperial; Faction for not using casual idles; MQ101ImperialDialogueFaction|
Hadvar is a Nord warrior, a soldier of the Imperial Legion and an early companion. As one of the garrisoned troops defending Helgen, he tries to assist civilians, including Torolf's son Haming, while escaping the dragon raid. Shortly after noticing you running for shelter from the attack, he commands you to follow him to Helgen Keep. Once there, you must decide to either have him escort you through the keep, or to have a fellow prisoner, Ralof, rejoin you for your escape. If you follow him into the keep, you will engage in battle against Stormcloaks. After escaping from Helgen, he will take you to Riverwood, where his uncle, Alvor lives. He will also invite you to join the Imperial Legion in Solitude. He will be present at the battle for Whiterun, and, after a promotion, lead the rescue mission at Fort Kastav and will participate in many of the Legion missions. Following the conclusion of the Civil War, he can be found at the Sleeping Giant Inn in Riverwood, but cannot be engaged in conversation.
Hadvar is clad in a set of Imperial light armor. This includes a studded Imperial armor, a pair of Imperial light bracers, and a pair of Imperial light boots. He is equipped with an Imperial sword and an iron shield for close-range combat, and uses a long bow supplemented with 12 iron arrows when the need arises. He carries three potions of minor healing.
 Related Quests
- Unbound: Escape Imperial custody and a dragon raid.
- The Jagged Crown: Find the Jagged Crown for the Imperials.
- Battle for Whiterun: Protect Whiterun from the Stormcloak invasion.
- Compelling Tribute: Use a corrupt steward to gain intelligence on the Stormcloaks.
- Rescue from Fort Kastav: Rescue the prisoners and regain Winterhold Hold for the Imperials.
 Unique Dialogue
During the character creation sequence, Hadvar is the one filling out the ledger for the prisoners to be executed. For each race, he has a specific line of dialogue, along with mentioning that, once executed, the player characters' remains will be sent to their native province.
|Altmer||You're not with the Thalmor Embassy, are you High Elf? No, that can't be right...|
|I'm sorry. We'll make sure your remains are returned to Summerset Isle.|
|Argonian||Are you a relative of one of the Riften dock workers, Argonian?|
|I'm sorry. We'll make sure your remains are returned to Black Marsh.|
|Bosmer||Not many Wood Elves would choose to come alone to Skyrim.|
|I'm sorry. We'll make sure your remains are returned to Valenwood.|
|Breton||You from Daggerfall, Breton? Fleeing from some court intrigue?|
|I'm sorry. We'll make sure your remains are returned to High Rock.|
|Dunmer||Another refugee? Gods really have abandoned your people, Dark Elf.|
|I'm sorry. We'll make sure your remains are returned to Morrowind.|
|Imperial||You're a long way from the Imperial City. What're you doing in Skyrim?|
|I'm sorry. We'll make sure your remains are returned to Cyrodiil.|
|Khajiit||You with one of the trade caravans, Khajiit? Your kind always seems to find trouble.|
|I'm sorry. We'll make sure your remains are returned to Elsweyr.|
|Nord||You picked a bad time to come home to Skyrim, kinsman.|
|I'm sorry. At least you'll die here, in your homeland.|
|Orc||You from one of the strongholds, Orc? How did you end up here?|
|I'm sorry. We'll make sure your remains are returned to Orsinium.|
|Redguard||What're you doing here, Redguard? You a sellsword? A sailor from Stros M'kai?|
|I'm sorry. We'll make sure your remains are returned to Hammerfell.|
 Other Dialogue
- "I don't think Rikke even knows my name. Probably because I'm not 'The Dragonborn'".
- "Keep an eye out for Stormcloak spies".
- Hadvar can get stuck following the player after Battle for Windhelm, The Battle for Whiterun, or another late Imperial quest. (He appears whenever the player enters Whiterun but appears not to follow them outside of the city and Dragonsreach.) When you talk to him he says various things, such as "Glad you're here."
- When he is following in Whiterun, and the player enters and leaves a house, he will attack the player. The reason is unknown.
- You can also use the console to disable Hadvar, if you are on the PC.